Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan

One of my nephews recommended Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan to me recently. I always try to read what they recommend because it seems like the only way to really figure out what they're interested in these days!


This book is structured like No Two Persons. In the prologue, a harmonica is introduced. Then, in each of four sections, the harmonica ends up in the hands of a child for whom it is life-altering. I read a Goodreads review that said you should listen to this as an audiobook and I wish I had because music is such an integral part of the story.  Anyway, in terms of the No Two Persons comparison, this could be read as four short novellas, each connected by a common thread, just as the book was the common thread in No Two Persons

I liked this book. I was always sad when we switched POVs because I grew to love each child, but then I grew to love the next child, too. I didn't want to say good-bye to any of the characters and I was delighted by the ending of the book to see how all the storylines came together. 

I'm taking half a star off of it because the intro material was unexciting to me, but I do appreciate the breadth and scope of this book for young readers. 

4.5/5 stars

Lines of note:
"I always say the instrument chooses the musician instead of the other way around." (page 290)
This is very "the wand chooses the wizard" and I appreciate that the person who taught the character this instrument was named Mr. Potter. It all felt like a nice nod to the world of Harry Potter.

"With all the windows boarded, the house looks embarrassed and sad, Papa. Like a dog when it has been shamed."
"Yes," said Papa. "The house is very sad." (page 423)
Personification of things and places is very much my jam.  

Appearances of the word hat
Araceli rushed toward her, wearing a purple crocheted hat pulled down over her ears. (page 378, this same hat appears on page 380, 433, and 439 as well)

The woman wore a Sunday dress, even though it was Thursday, a hat that looked like an upside-down rowboat, and a tweed coat. (page 408)

12 comments:

  1. Both my kids loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why this appeals to children so much - the main characters are well-developed children from across time and geographic locations, but they're all kids!

      Delete
  2. How cool that your niblings give you book recs. I have always believed that we should have mentors of all ages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing what they're reading. Some of them are bigger readers than others, but I like to take them all seriously.

      Delete
  3. This sounds good! Your nephew has good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to this one and the audiobook was one of my favorite experiences ever. So unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret not listening to it. Maybe I'll revisit it later and listen!

      Delete
  5. This sounds found. I first thought it was a different book. I also like to hear what my niece is reading and have her tell me all about it. Maybe i should write it down and actually do read some myself. I love gifting books for christmas so I am always on the look out for some new ones. Unfortunately it seems this author hasn't been translated to german.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...interesting. The first POV is a child in Nazi Germany, so I think it would be interesting if it were translated to hear what German children think about it.

      Delete
  6. OK, I never comment on your book posts, because a) I know I will never "catch up" (HA - whatever that means?) and b) I know I can find your reviews when I do want to know what you thought about a book. But this one - this one sounds special. I might see if I can find it, somewhere... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should be able to get it through the University collection! Easy peasy! It's a wonderful novel!

      Delete