Monday, May 29, 2023

7.29 Song - Riding a Turtle

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-ninth day of the month is "Song."

****************

I was recently listening to Chris Molanthy, host of the podcast Hit Parade, talking with the hosts on the podcast Culture Gabfest about Morgan Wallen and the ubiquity of his song "Last Night" even though he was supposedly canceled in 2020 for going to a party unmasked before he was supposed to perform on SNL and then using the n-word in a casual way.  ANYWAY. I missed the memo on his un-cancelation because I don't listen to music on the radio and I don't understand how songs become viral (TikTok? YouTube? am old), so it's not like I'm getting suggestions from Spotify for new music.

I digress AGAIN.

I want you to know that even if I did listen to terrestrial radio, I would not listen to Wallen because I am literally offended (OFFENDED) by his 2020 hit "More Than My Hometown," in which he basically sings to a girl that he loves her a lot, but "I can't love you more than my hometown." What sort of message is this? It's better to be miserable in your hometown than with the person you love in another place? WTF? I can't even with this guy. My husband and I heard this song when we were driving to the compost one day and we both stared at each other in horror. 

That's all. Also, I don't listen to Chris Brown, Michael Jackson, or R Kelly, either. I really try not to be too much of a hypocrite.


As a palate cleanser after discussing Wallen, I wanted to show you the cover of Sam and Dave's Hold On, I'm Comin' album, which was on a playlist curated by my husband and made me laugh and laugh when it came up on our drive over the weekend. They're on a turtle! Such bad 1960s photo splicing! What is going on with those poses? It's fabulous.

What's the best musical cover art you have come across?

12 comments:

  1. I haven’t listened to pop music for a very long time, so I don’t have much of a clue as to who these people are. The only pop music I hear is probably on The Voice, and I don’t understand most of the words, and I don’t exactly love most of the tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be utterly shocked if you didn't know who Michael Jackson is!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added David Bowie to that list (same reason as R. Kelly). The thing is... as my eldest said to me yesterday, it doesn't feel like a hardship, because we're literally unable to enjoy the music anymore knowing what we know. H.P. Lovecraft is the only horrible person I can think of whose horribleness makes his art good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I struggle with Orson Scott Card a lot, to be honest. I think he writes interesting, thoughtful books, but I don't like the causes he supports. *sigh* That IS a real hardship for me.

      Delete
    2. That's a tough one for sure! Oooh, I have one too! ...J.K. Rowling.

      Delete
  4. Haha, this is timely... on my run today, I listened to an old Sonia song (it was an 80's playlist run) and the lyrics were "But you'll never stop me from loving you, It doesn't really matter what you put me through"... and I was like "well, really?"... some song lyrics are WEIRD, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure some lyrics don't make sense or are perpetuating negative life choices. LOL. It's crazy how many songs I listened to as a child that I'm sort of shocked when I listen to now because they're filthy! LOL. At least little kid brains filter that kind of stuff out for kids.

      Delete
    2. What's more, it's interesting how often we don't pay attention to the lyrics... I mean, when I grew up and didn't know much English, it made sense that I didn't know what certain songs were about, but now, when I listen and understand the lyrics, I often wonder why native speakers don't pick up on it earlier LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm so out of touch w/ pop culture that I have never heard of this Wallen person nor have I heard his music! I very very very rarely listen to the radio. If I am listening to music, my sons are requesting songs (they like Taylor Swift and Brandi Carlile). Otherwise if I have time to listen to something, I listen to podcasts. My husband doesn't listen to music either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so rare that I listen to music on my own. It does happen, but my preference is for podcasts or audiobooks for sure!

      Delete
  6. I read about this somewhere, and was completely disgusted when he was un-blacklisted. Sigh. I have never listened to Michael Jackson or R Kelly, so I'm good to go there. I pretty much stick with Brandi Carlile, the Chicks, and similar artists. Boring but works for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete