Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Heir Affair (Royal We #1) by Jessica Cocks and Heather Morgan

I gave the first book in this series, The Royal We, four-and-a-half stars, but was very concerned about the longevity of the main couple. Let's see how the follow-up, The Heir Affair, went. (Why did it take five months for me to get to the second book in the series, you ask? Well, it's because I placed it on hold on January 8 and didn't get it through the library system until March 30.)

In The Royal We, American Bex and future king of England Nick met and fell in love. There was snappy dialogue, a great meet cute, and some outdated references to the Cubs as an underdog baseball team. 


In The Heir Affair, we spend much of the book with the main characters not talking to one another, another part of the book in which we spend way too much time talking about IVF and pregnancy (*yawn*), but the Cubs do win the World Series, so at least that part of the plot was tied up.

Interesting characters: Nick is off page a lot and Bex is boring as all get out in the book. It was so disappointing. I will say that I really enjoyed the change in Queen Eleanor in this book and some of her banter with Bex was fabulous. 

Believable conflict: Of course. I have maintained from the beginning of this series that what we have are two people who are wonderful people, but circumstances are not conducive to their long-term success as a couple. Even at the end of this book, I think they've made a couple of terrible decisions that are going to haunt them and their relationship until they end up getting divorced in a terrible Charles/Diana kind of situation.  

Emotional tension: Ugh. I mean, I guess. I didn't like it when Nick was staying out all night and I was worried. And then there was the stuff with Nick's brother. I mean, yes, there's plenty of emotional tension because we like these two people and they're not really okay together. *sigh* This series kind of stresses me out.

Happily ever after: Nick and Bex could have changed their circumstances and instead they just dug in. The ending of this book made me so sad. If you think this is an HEA, you are not reading the same book I am. 

2.5/5 stars and you better believe I docked it a whole star because endings of romance novels should be ENTIRELY happy and not make someone melancholy 

Lines of note:

“Men are like the monarchy itself, aren’t they? Splendid to look at, occasionally fun to have around, but cruel and pointless to the end.” (page 99)

Ouch to men.

...gave way to casual, amusing anecdotes, like the time five-year-old Olly burst into tears at the London Zoo because he’d thought all the animals were under arrest...(page 138)

Awww...but how does this kid know what jail is, but not zoos? That makes me think he hasn't been read a lot of picture books and now I'm worried about this child's lifestyle.

“Something inside the palace, for now. Something reckless but simple. Perhaps I shall order a crumpet untoasted.” 
“Careful, don’t sprain anything,” I said. (page 181)

I feel like if I were to plan something reckless, I'd also be at a loss. Go buy a loaf of bread and eat it in the car?  Reckless!

Given England’s propensity for wetness even in the mildest of months, Lacey and I had made several jokes about her getting married in the cold November rain. (“Should we have candles?” I’d asked. “It’d be hard to hold them,” she replied, and our mother looked completely confused.) (page 242)

I'm just going to leave this here. If you know, you know.

“This Clive has the morality of a pigeon,” Olly said the next time he saw me. 
“Are pigeons notably immoral?” I asked. “Honest question.” (page 243)

Actual good question, I think.

“Passion is not everyone’s endgame. A person can contain many kinds of love, and none is more valid than the other.” (page 416)

I...guess? But isn't a romantic relationship supposed to be romantic? What kind of message is this romance novel sending to us?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I think one of the rules of the romance genre is that there's a happy ending! This book sounds annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I can see how *some* people might consider the ending a happy ending. But that's not really the case, as far as I'm concerned. Very upsetting. So far there are only two books in this series and I'm curious if the authors plan to write more to address the ending. Even if there was another book, I'm not sure I'd read it, though!

      Delete
  2. I love your reviews!!! I cannot remember the ending of this book, so I will have to trust that it is not a true HEA. But I loved this book. Although... the stuff with the brother made me wildly uncomfortable. Good for tension building, not good for... feeling good about all the characters. I really, really hope Nick and Bex don't end up like Charles and Diana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was hard to rate it so low when I really like Nick and Bex. I think they'd be a great couple together in different circumstances.

      Delete