Thursday, April 06, 2023

6.6 Reflection - Daily Prompts in Month Six

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a different theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the sixth day of the month is "Reflection."

****************

I have just started the sixth month of this silly blog project where I write about a different theme each day of the month. I can not stress to you enough that these themes were chosen randomly and we didn't do a whole of editing of what words popped out of that random noun generator. Bestest Friend basically gave up after doing the project for two weeks, but I am holding strong. Last week I wrote a little bit about my writing process and Jenny asked if there were any themes I like better than others.  So today I'm going to reflect a little bit on this project and answer that question.

Themes

We have thirty-one themes, but obviously day 31 (Activity) doesn't get used every month (let's not talk about February and that chaos that it caused to my system).

I tend to think of the themes as easy versus hard and ones I enjoy versus ones I don't enjoy as much, so because I'm a social scientist, here's my taxonomy:

Most Fun

 

Judgment

Winner

Message

Song

Method

Hat

 

 

Drawing

Decision

Volume

 

Art

 

 

 

Library

Location

 

Contact

Activity

 

 

 

 

Meaning

 

 

 

 

 

Easier

 

Reflection

Entertainment

Relationship

Direction

Stranger

Harder

 

Atmosphere

 

 

 

Information

 

 

 

Moment

 

Instruction

 

 

Safety

 

 

 

 

 

Family

 

Priority

 

 

Complaint

 

 

Control

Failure

Depression

 

Least Fun

So, to answer your specific question, Jenny, I think "Hat" is quite hard, but is also really fun. It's really fun for me to wander around in my life trying to find hats on objects for photos, but I don't always have a good topic to go along with what I find.  I think things like depression and failure are both hard and not particularly fun to write about. A lot of the themes that I labeled easy are easy because I have a set way of writing the posts. 

Judgment: I write a book review
Drawing: If I don't have a drawing from my life, I put a photo of a town landmark through a drawing app on my phone
Library: I just post my library loans and holds
Atmosphere: If all else fails, take a photo of the sky and write about the weather
Moment: I can do a snapshot of the day post

There's a span of days that go Stranger --> Complaint --> Failure--> Control that just feels sort of heavy and negative, so that makes it sort of hard to keep the tone fairly light and that has proven to be a bit of a challenge for me. You might not believe it, but I try to keep things from going to super dark places in this space! I wish they were more spread out through the month. 

But I think that these daily prompts are somewhat helpful in that even the themes that I find more challenging to write about stretch my creativity and force me to think outside of my comfort zone. 
Hannah at the community center. What theme would you put this under?


The Next Six Months

What I'm hoping to do over the next six months is to maintain my consistency in posting and be able to explore different aspects to the themes than the generally literal meaning I've used. I'm also hoping that eventually some of the prompts that are harder for me to write start becoming a bit easier.

I'd also really like to be a bit more proactive in planning my topics. There are so many days when I look at the upcoming topics and I have nothing in my head to write about. I frequently have genius ideas pop into my head when I'm doing things like scrubbing the shower or walking the dog and I just don't take the time to write them down in my notes app on my phone. 

These words have become things I think about all the time and they have started to shape how I live. For instance, since one of the prompts is Art, I purposefully went to an art museum and I go out of my way on walks with Hannah to go by murals and sculptures that dot our town. I am always looking for small complaints to write about and things to celebrate for my winner theme.  I kind of like this, but I hope that these words don't start to limit how I live because I'm too focused on literal random words.

Possible Improvements

I think I might do similar blog projects in the future, but I would definitely make some changes. First, writing daily is exhausting. I think doing it two or three times a week would be sufficient! I also think it would be great if the prompts had been more tailored to my interests, although maybe I wouldn't have been as creative if the prompts were books, Hannah, Zelda, and backyard. Ha!

So that's my reflection on this silly project so far. What do you think of it? Are you up for six more months of hats?

25 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll read about six more months of hats! I'm enjoying this project of yours. I think you kind of answered my next question, which is are you going to keep going for the entire year (sounds like yes) and, second part of question, are you going to do it again with different prompts. I guess you'll decide how to reconfigure it when the year is up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think I'll do a daily project again. It's really exhausting. But I might have an idea for a future project, so I'll let you know when/if that comes to fruition. In the meantime, here's to more hats!

      Delete
  2. THIS WAS FASCINATING. I just cannot express how interesting every word of this post was to me. The taxonomy is awesome. Perhaps most astonishing was the concept that these words could start to shape the way you live your life. I for one a) love that you post daily, although I can only imagine how exhausting that is and b) am always excited to see how you address the day's prompt. It's a really cool project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that it's not repetitive for readers. I was worried that people might not be particularly interested in my take on control every month, but it seems like most people who are commenting on this post are positive about the project, so that's good feedback for me!

      I am quite surprised about how attuned I am to these prompts, too. If I hear anyone even say one of the theme words, I pay really close attention in case it can become a post! What a life I lead.

      Delete
  3. I'm here for all of it.

    Like Suzanne, I think it's FASCINATING that you've found it impacts how you go about daily life. But this shouldn't surprise me because the same thing happens to me. When I do demerits/gold stars and post about them, it actually brings about change. Like I'm headed to the dentist right now to get that pesky wisdom tooth out, mostly because I wrote about and knew I needed to put on my big girl undies and go do the thing.

    I love that you post daily, think it's a cool project, and I'm ashamed to admit I didn't realize it was a repeated cycle of words. How did I miss this?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I am not sure how you missed that I'm cycling through the same words every day! I am starting to get a bit snarky on some of these themes, but you not knowing they were the same prompts every month relieves me that my posts aren't boring and same old, same old every month!

      Here's the post where I introduced the project: https://ngradstudent.blogspot.com/2022/11/11-hat-craft.html

      Delete
  4. I think downloading a voice recorder app on your phone might be useful to you. That way, you can just talk to your phone when you get a good idea for a post rather than stop and type it out on Notes.

    It's quite something the way this project has meshed with your goal of stretching yourself to come out of your comfort zone post-pandemic. If I were prone to using buzz words, I'd call it Synergy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. I'll consider the voice recorder. It would be excellent if it immediately transcribed the audio! I'll look into this idea.

      Delete
  5. It's interesting that you say writing these posts influences how you live. I fully agree. Since sharing my "What I Kept" posts, I've started keeping more things with the intention of sharing them with my readers. I discover things that I would not normally find interesting, but believe others will. BUT, in the end, I find them interesting myself! 

    This blog project has been a lot of fun to follow along. ❤️💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that the feedback about this project is positive. I imagine some of you are so annoyed by all the posts from my blog cluttering your feed! It's good to hear that at least the people commenting on this post don't feel that way.

      Delete
  6. Are you saying that doing this project is getting to be old hat for you? 'Cause that's what I'm reading here. Daily blogging is a chore, I used to do that but now I'm of the less is more philosophy. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do next. I tip my hat to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ally. You want to guest write my next hat post? ;)

      Delete
  7. Well obvi you need to add "Hannah" and "Zelda" to the list. You can either make it a rotating list of 33 prompts to toss hat and your 2nd least favorite prompt.

    Selfishly I do like getting daily posts so I hope this project goes on. But yes, it is hard to write EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. It was rewarding to do NaBloPo, but I'm not sure if I'll do it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think if I did this again, I would NOT do it with a random noun generator. I mean, why couldn't it randomly pick "Hannah"? I would knock that prompt out of the park!

      Oh, I hope you do NaBloPoMo again It was so much fun to have a big group doing it!

      Delete
  8. I'm so impressed that you've been able to do this as long as you have! I've never wrote daily blogposts, even in the peak of my blogging days! So kudos to you for coming up with a daily post for months on end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not going to lie - it's exhausting and I don't think I'll ever do it again! Going back to blogging 2-3 times a week is going to feel luxurious!

      Delete
  9. I also did not notice that these words repeated! Elisabeth, we're in the same boat. hahaha.

    I am impressed with the creativity you have brought to these prompts. There are times when I've seen the word at the top and kind of assumed the post might go in one standard direction, but you've been able to incorporate sort of random other topics INTO that particular word, which has been interesting.

    I do not think I would ever do this, personally, despite admiring how well you've done it. I only ever blog "in real time" (as in, the day I write the post is the day I publish the post. I did get a little "behind real time" on my travel posts, but I still wrote them/ published them at the same time, and then referred to whatever was happening in the post in the past tense, since, it was!). As I've probably mentioned here before, for me blogging is more of an outlet for current thoughts/ feelings/etc., so I'm not interested in pre-writing something to post, say, next week. So I don't think I'd really like having to write about a specific topic on any given day, because I might not FEEL like writing about that that day.... and then that would kind of ruin a little bit what blogging is to me. If that makes sense? But kudos to you for the creativity, persistence, and consistency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that there are definitely different strategies about how and why people blog and I am basically just using it to make sure my writing chops don't get rusty and fall apart. I am not really using it is a real-time journal like you are, so it doesn't matter to me if the book review is posted the day I write it or a week later. I can see how if you have more timebound topics, that would be frustrating.

      Delete
  10. I admire your tenacity on this project, it's pretty interesting. Also here to report that I can now comment! I had to download a new browser to my daughter's non-apple computer, but it's working! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I don't really know how to make commenting here easier, but I'm glad you found a workaround.

      Delete
  11. It works for you, so keep it up. I post a lot, but I think I would find it difficult to follow prompts. I seem to have to do things in my own peculiar way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would be really intimidated by posting every day without some structure to help me with what to talk about. Different strategies for different work styles.

      Delete
  12. I can't believe you're going to do daily blogging for a FULL YEAR. I mean, I'm excited because I love reading your posts, but I just can only imagine how exhausting that is for you. Doing one month of daily blogging is hard enough!

    It took me a few months to realize these topics were cycling through, haha. I think maybe you mentioned it on one of your posts, and I was like "Ohhhh."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exhausting. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to write about a hat ever again after this year. We did this project before from June 2014 to June 2015 and it seemed easier then. I suspect it has to do with the fact that I actually left my house back then and she chose half the theme words and I chose half the theme words, so at least half the time I had chosen words that resonated with me.

      I'm astonished that so many people didn't realize I was using the same theme words every month! I think that's fascinating!

      Delete
  13. I would have SUCH a hard time with this. Kudos to you. I'm laughing at Kae and Elisabeth, though, who missed the repeating words! I think having these words guide what you notice isn't a bad thing - unless you stop noticing other things? And it seems like you are still noticing other things, and not letting this direct your entire life, so... I suspect you'll be fine. :) Can't wait to see what the next six months bring...and then the end of year summary!

    ReplyDelete