Thursday, December 22, 2022

The Kissing Bug by Daisy Hernandez

Back in my November book rut, I ordered a bunch of non-fiction books to help me out of it and The Kissing Bug: A True Story of a Family, an Insect, and A Nation's Neglect of a Deadly Disease by Daisy Hernandez was one that was recommended. I thought it sounded interesting and ordered it from the library, but it sat on my bookshelf for a few weeks before I finally dove in.


Hernandez's aunt was an immigrant who came to the United States only to be diagnoses with Chagas disease, a condition with two phases, acute and chronic, that can lead to cardiac and gastrointestinal complications and death. The disease is passed to humans and other animals through insect vectors commonly called kissing bugs. It's only found in the Americas and because of global immigration patterns, is becoming more and more common in the United States, whereas in past decades it was found mostly in poor Latin American areas. The disease can be passed from mother to child during birth, in organ transplants, and blood transfusions, as well. In this book, Hernandez examines the disease through the lens of her aunt's illness, as well as other patients.

Hm. It does seem like a terrible disease. Some people are infected as children and never suffer any consequences from it at all. For some of the unlucky (20-30% of people infected), however, it can lead to an enlarged heart and the collapsing of the heart walls. Or it can lead to an enlarged esophagus or colon, leading to problems with eating and defecating. Hernandez's aunt had issues with her esophagus and had trouble eating. 

There is a treatment for the disease if it is caught in its acute phase, but past that, there are no treatments. It's a relatively rare disease in most of the world, but the WHO estimates that 12,000 people die of it every year and over 8000 babies are born with it, so it's not some sort of orphan disease with only five people having it in the world. It's not one of the diseases babies are screened for at birth, despite having tests for rarer diseases that are required. And medical professionals frequently are not trained to recognize the symptoms of Chagas because many of the people who suffer with it do not seek medical treatment. 

You'll note here that I linked to WHO and CDC instead of using quotes from the book. It's because the book's subtitle is really a lie. This is mostly a memoir about Hernandez, her aunt, and their relationship. That's fine, but the subtitle led me to believe we'd cover more of the science and what steps governments should take to deal with this disease. While there is a tiny bit of that, a lot of it is Hernandez's own angst over her aunt's refusing to accept her bisexuality or genderqueer partner, her fear of the kissing bugs, and lots of complaints about people I interpreted as well-meaning but undereducated medical professionals. 

I think this is an important topic, I really do. I think it should receive attention, particularly in infant screening and educating doctors and nurses, particularly those who work with Hispanic populations. But I wanted more from this book. I wanted policy recommendations. I wanted to know how many other "rare" diseases are out there that could be caught with simple screening tests. I wanted a larger discussion about the role language differences and racial play in the disparities in health outcomes. I wanted Hernandez to use all these anecdotes she had collected to tell me a bigger story.  

3/5 stars 

6 comments:

  1. This is interesting, I have never heard of this disease at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS interesting and I think it's something we're going to become more aware of as climate change increases the geographic area where these insects can thrive, including more into the US. I hadn't heard of it before I read this book, so if nothing else, now I can worry about this from here on out!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it does seem like a missed opportunity to tell a bigger story. And I have to admit when I first starting reading this post I was like "Oh great- something ELSE to worry about." It sounds like it's still pretty rare though. You definitely pick interesting books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS rare, but I think it will become more prevalent as climate changes moves the range of the insects, particularly into the US, from the border with Mexico all the way to the northern states. I don't know if you or I should be worried, but maybe your kids might want to think about it, particularly if your son lives in Texas, where some species of the bug live. Most of those bugs are infected with the parasite that causes Chagas. It's worth talking to him about it!

      Delete
  3. I think I had heard of this disease when I traveled to visit my friend in the peace corp in the Dominican Republic. I think this was something I was warned about when I went to the travel clinic before my trip. I want to say I was not supposed to swim in fresh water. But I did end up doing an excursion with my friend in a river. I had a thought in the back of my mind that it maybe wasn't a good idea to do this excursion but I didn't want to be over-reactive. Plus my friend had done this excursion with other people who visited her. Outside of this disease, I know infant mortality is a huge concern in countries like the DR. My friend ended up extending her peace corp commitment for another year and then she ended up working for a non-profit that worked on improving childbirth outcomes. Even though I have traveled fairly widely, that trip to what I call "the real DR" was so eye-opening. She lived in a camposina in the mountains and there was so much poverty in that area. So I feel like this awful disease is just a drop in the bucket for what that population is struggling with. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this disease is from bugs that are frequently in living spaces, not just water. They are frequently found in buildings made of adobe, mud, straw, and thatch, which is why they are prevalent in poorer areas. The triatomomine bugs bit and suck the blood of humans (and other animals) and then the bugs defecate (gross - sorry!) on the person, generally while the person is sleeping. Because they frequently bite the face, the bug feces with the parasite enter the mucous membranes (eyes, mouth) or broken skin (zit, cut). Dear lord. I have grossed myself out. ANYWAY. You probably weren't less safe in the water than out of it *for this disease*, but I make no guarantees about other infectious diseases. It's hard out there in less economically developed countries for people who don't have access to quality housing, healthcare, or sanitation.

      Delete