Thursday, September 22, 2022

Thursday Randomicity

1. I feel a tiny bit badly about not caring more about the death of Queen Elizabeth. Everyone else is talking about Meghan Markle's bare arms, the corgis waiting for her to come home, and whether or not this is the official death of the Commonwealth and I'm all over here wondering when we can resume normal news programming. I don't know. It honestly feels unimportant to anyone outside of her family. Eh. I feel bad.

2. Some of you may recall my yoga studio situation from last year. The long and short of it is that I had a yoga studio I really loved and early on in the pandemic I loved it when the owner switched her classes to Zoom. But then she posted an anti-vax meme and I broke up with the studio. The studio has, as you might have anticipated, finally closed its doors. I have very mixed feelings about this. The loss of my business certainly wasn't the only reason, but I'm sure it contributed to the closure. I miss the studio I remember from pre-pandemic and I miss the absolute relief I got from some of those classes. But I'm also happy to see people with crackpot ideas facing consequences for them. I'm full of complicated feelings.

3. Dr. BB and I are each responsible for a bad habit one of our pets has developed. We know we're responsible and can exactly place when the bad habits developed, but here we are. When I was gone for a few days visiting my mother in the summer, Dr. BB fed Zelda the Cat tiny bits of chicken that we feed Hannah the Dog. Zelda had never had chicken before and she is an absolute addict. She has started pestering Hannah for some, jumping on the counters to get some (we had absolutely trained her NOT to be on counters!), and is just an utter brat about chicken. Dr. BB has admitted that this was a mistake on his part.

Meanwhile, over the last Christmas holiday, I noticed that Hannah the Dog LOVED to play with the brown kraft paper that came in the endless boxes we got from deliveries. Hannah rarely interacts with toys. I don't think she played with them much as a puppy (poor Hannah!) and while she'll occasionally chase a ball for two or three minutes, she's generally timid and unsure about toys. ANYWAY. She would utterly demolish the paper, tearing it and chewing it and having a grand old time, so I let her do this because it seemed harmless.

Cut to me leaving a file folder of papers on the floor next to my desk a couple of weeks ago. I left them there as a reminder for me to write up some of my notes to send to other people, but I went upstairs for half an hour to exercise and when I returned, the file folder and all my notes were absolutely destroyed and Hannah the Dog was sitting there, wagging her tail, blissfully unaware of how challenging she had just made my life. I thought it was ADORABLE and NOT HER FAULT, anymore than Zelda's obsession with chicken is her fault. We humans have made mistakes. 

She's really the cutest dog. Ignore the mess!  

4. My job will officially be over at the end of November. This is great news. The job search marches on and since this week I have sent all of two emails, there's plenty of time in the day for me to craft lovely cover letters and tweak my resume for each position. There's one on campus that I have my fingers crossed for, but I am no longer ever going to get my hopes up after the last heartbreak*. In the meantime, a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I really feel better about life than I have in years. I'm going to take a First Aid/CPR class that has been on my to-do list for a long time. I'm slowly emptying my email inboxes. I'm taking extra long walks with the dog. I'm making sure that all the chores are done before Dr. BB gets home. I think that sometimes this week I'll clean all the stuff off my desk from this job and throw it all away. It feels like a vacation that I'm getting paid for. Sure, job searching is stressful, but it's way less stressful than that job.

*The woman who got that job I really wanted is actually really great and wonderful and she'll be a good fit for the position. I am still disappointed that I didn't get it, but I do understand why they made the decision that they made.

5. Yesterday I went to Costco with eight things on the list. I didn't find three of those things, but ended up purchasing way more than the additional five things on the list. My impulse buys included additional COVID tests, an advent calendar of jelly, a giant bag of chocolate chips, and a s'mores-based snack mix. It was the first time I've ever been at Costco without my husband hurrying me along and I enjoyed it a million times more without him. Obviously. 

Tell me a bit of randomicity in your life. What's new in your life? Have you taught your children or pets any new bad habits? What's your favorite Costco purchase?

21 comments:

  1. Ha, I feel like the list of bad habits I've taught my kids and pets is immense. i have to laugh at yours- yes, I can see how it was tempting to give Zelda the chicken, and no, of course she'll never, ever forget it. And Hannah... well, i guess instead of recycling papers you can just leave them out for Hannah!
    After an initial jolt of interest, i'm not that into what's happening now with the royals. But since I don't watch the news, I really don't know what kind of things are being reported.
    I guess you'll be going to Costco by yourself from now on! Everyone needs a jelly advent calendar. And, I'm glad your job is ending. It sounds like it was really negatively affecting your whole life- nice to feel more relaxed for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll be going to Costco by myself forever. I dread the drive and the parking lot. Why are all the Costco parking lots designed so terribly? I find the whole transportation to and from the store so stressful! This is actually one of the reasons I don't shop at Trader Joe's, too - their parking lots are so awful (and their labeling practices make it impossible to know if their products are GF - or at least they were a decade ago when I last went).

      Delete
  2. It is SO HARD not to teach kids/pets bad habits! So easy to learn, so impossible to unlearn. I'm really glad that your job is nearly over and that you are feeling lighter already. That's wonderful.

    Hmm. Favorite Costco purchase. That's a tough one. Probably giant bags of cheese. We go through a truly unholy amount of shredded cheddar and I love picking up the big twin packs at Costco and knowing that they will last a good long while.

    A random thing from my life? My daughter woke up this morning and NONE OF HER PANTS FIT. It seems as though literally yesterday, her pants were fine, and today they are all too small. So I had to go to Target this morning which is NOT my favorite, especially when I am already swimming in tasks. Now I just have to hope the pile of leggings I bought her FIT. (Pants are usually too short or too wide for her.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she literally grow overnight?! I thought that was just a thing parents said - I didn't realize it was actual thing that happened?!

      Do you freeze your shredded cheese? We use a lot of cheese, too, but I've always worried we wouldn't go through it fast enough. If you don't freeze it, how do you have enough space in your fridge for those giant bags? I need details!

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhh Costco! I was just there yesterday! I got significantly more than eight items though. Hoo boy. I get so many staples from there, I cannot even begin. You know, their vanilla is really great. Oh! I know! I love their Kirkland Signature coffee and yesterday, for the first time that I can ever remember, IT WASN'T THERE. I hope this is just a weird one-off and not a sign of things to come. I can do without many things but coffee is not one of them. I had to buy a different brand which I'm sure will do the job, but still. STILL.
    Random thing from my life: my son has to do a gear check today for his backcountry trip next week and honest to god, I don't know how he is going to manage carrying around an enormous camping backpack at school all day. Like, I understand the teachers want everyone to be prepared, but now he has to take his 60L pack from class to class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess him carrying around his giant backpack will be good practice for his actual trip! Although it makes me giggle to imagine him trying to get by during passing time without accidentally hitting his fellow schoolmates in crowded halls and stairways.

      Delete
  4. Haha about Costco + your husband. I went grocery shopping with my husband on Sunday, and I think it was the first time we had been grocery shopping together in..... not exaggerating, maybe like 10 years?? (if you don't count a quick shop on a vacation or something in some strange place.) It's always usually just me, or just him- but feels like a waste of time for us to BOTH go. Anyway, I sometimes see younger couples shopping together, and I've wondered if that's almost like a "date" for them? Or if they are still at the stage where they still feel the need to do everything together? LOL. 15+ years in, I'm usually happy to go alone and just enjoy the company of me, myself and I. Ha. And after shopping with him on Sunday, it was nice, kind of, but like you, I also felt like he was rushing me!! Not sure I'll be looking to repeat any time soon. ;) Love him and love spending time with him, but the grocery store might not be "our place". hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I do grocery shop together. It is our hot Friday date night. We do this because we're each quite picky about brands/types of foods and this way we can pick out what we each need/want. We have always done this, except for a period in the early pandemic. I do not want to pick out his apples and he doesn't want to have to pick out my grapes, so we both go. It works for us, but there is no browsing or shopping off-list when my husband is around because he's very list-focused and mission oriented.

      Delete
  5. I have to admit watch some of the queen things, including most of the funeral. I felt like I was acknowledging and somehow participating in somethin momentous. It has made be begin to contemplate with benefits of a constitutional monarchy over other forms of government without moderating influences in the swings of life and politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do imagine it's different if you live in a Commonwealth country. It most definitely will impact your day to day life.

      Delete
  6. Love this post!
    I actually felt really sad about the Queen, but mostly because she really reminded me (in looks and age) of my grandmother who passed away a few years ago.

    We don't have a Costco membership (the closest store is an hour away and I find it overwhelming to shop there), but I do tag along with friends a few times a year that have a membership. I love the GF RW Garcia Chips and their Naan bread. There's so much great stuff, but I always feel awful about how much money I spent because EVERYTHING comes in such big portions. I know it lasts forever, but it still always makes me feel icky when I spend that much at once. Sigh.

    I am SO, SO glad you have an end-date for your job and that the whole transition is just more palatable. I wish you all the best in next steps of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don't mind spending money at Costco because then I don't have to think about the things for a long, long time. I just bought two giant things of aluminum foil and knowing I won't have to think about buying aluminum foils again for years (?!) is sort of relaxing and I think part of the Costco selling point for me is that the minor annoyance of keeping track of Brita filters, aluminum foil, toilet paper, light bulbs, and the like is taken off my plate for months and months at a time!

      Delete
  7. 1. I care, but it's not exactly the center of my universe.
    2. Yes, a lot of people were just so normal before the pandemic...
    3. Too many to count, but I live with two exceptional kids and a very good dog, so we've done something right.
    4. I never want to say "congratulations" when someone loses their job, but I feel that it's appropriate here. Good riddance and here's to the next gig! I'm sure that it will come along soon.
    5. So many things...with two teenagers we NEED to have a big bag of cheesesticks in the house at all times, so that alone justifies our membership. If I had to pick just one thing, it would be the sherpa blanket that I snuggle up in when I'm watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with the yoga teacher. I know she probably had these anti-vax beliefs before the pandemic, but she never made that clear to me. So, I was okay with supporting her before I knew this and now I'm not? It sort of makes me feel like a hypocrite. But it is what it is. If she wanted her studio to succeed, she probably should have made her studio a welcoming place for ALL people, not people who just agreed with her. But I do miss it.

      Delete
  8. I haven't had many emotions about the queen's passing. She had such a long life and had what I would call a 'good death' since she didn't linger in a hospital bed for a long time. I felt so different when Princess Di died. I was obsessed with the coverage since her death was so tragic! I do have a lot of respect for the queen after watching "The Crown" on Netflix. But I haven't felt drawn to any of the media coverage. We so rarely watch the news these days so I am pretty out of the loop and I'm not on social media! We used to watch CBS nightly news at 5:30 and then our local news at 6, but that is dinner time and then we are busy w/ the boys. When Paul was little he would happily play with toys while we had the news on in the background but that is so not the case with Will!

    And yes, we have established some 'bad' habits with our kids. When Paul was a young toddler, we let him watch PBS kids while we got ready. We leave the house at 6:45 and I don't want to get up any earlier than I need to so it gave him something to entertain him while we scurried around. Well flash forward 4 years and he is still eating his breakfast in front of PBS kids show. The content is educational but I wonder at what age is he going to be done sitting in this booster/high chair kind of set up. He eats cheerios w/ milk for breakfast so he needs to sit in a high chair kind of set up. But he's getting a bit old for that and even admits that, but he has come to count on watching one show while we get ready in the morning. he also has become conditioned to get part of a cookie after every meal. I don't know if that is good or bad, though. Phil gets a free cookie at Potbelly every time he gets a sandwich there and then he portions it out so it lasts about 3 days. But does he need dessert every day? Probably not, but maybe desserts won't be this forbidden, exciting thing? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like letting him watch PBS Kids is not really a terrible thing! If he likes it, he's out of the way, and he's learning something, it seems like it's just a way to make your mornings easier. Let's reframe it and say you're teaching him the value of routine and self-care and taking time for himself in the morning!

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry, but I giggled at Hannah getting into your papers! She didn't know the difference. My husband, when we were told that Callie had limited time, started giving her snacks in the kitchen when he/we were cleaning up from dinner. Now, two and a half years later she begs after we have dinner. It's pitiful and the dog will live forever. :)

    I'm with you on the Queen's passing. She had a long life. While I enjoy watching The Crown on Netflix, I'm not really into the Monarchy.

    The Costco parking lots always give me a bit of anxiety and I'm not an anxious person in general. Our favorite things to buy there are the big bags of Skinny Pop popcorn, coffee beans and the Street Tacos (chicken) which makes for 2-3 meals for us on nights when I'm too busy to cook.

    Best of luck in your new job search!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I was a little sad by the news of the Queen's passing, I haven't followed ANY coverage about it. I can understand why her funeral procession has been everywhere, but it's not for me. I have real issues with monarchies, lol.

    The amount of bad habits my cats have... oof. They do get on the counters and tables, but it's just me here so it doesn't bother me. The worst habit I've encouraged is Ellie's propensity to poke me with a claw when she wants me to pet her. It's so annoying, but then I acquiesce to her demands and realize I'm not doing much to help this behavior at all.

    Hooray for the end in sight for your job! And fingers crossed that you have some luck in the job search department!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was a little sad about the news of the Queen's passing, but I have never really followed the royal family and therefore also didn't really follow the funeral...

    I am glad how everything worked out for you at your job - the decision was made for you and you can now go into job searching mode full force without any bad feelings. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel you with the whole queen thing. I am sorry for the family's loss - its still a person in the end but I couldn't care less about the rest. When I heard that half the worlds population watched the funeral I wondered if they all dont need to work... guess most of them got free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt the same way about the Queen. The Washington Post's coverage was over the top - and they continued it with this random subsite that is STILL posting about the post-Elizabeth era. What the heck? Also? I would find the yoga studio situation so challenging, but I did want to point out that it was their fault that they had to close - in no way were you responsible! You took your business away from a business you could not support. That's the ethical and right choice, imo. Not that that matters. ;) And finally, this is why I order online from Costco. Even though I could drive there in 20 minutes. Ha!

    ReplyDelete