Monday, April 25, 2022

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold is the third book in the World of Five Gods series, but I read it first because it's first chronologically, but there seems to be some sort of division about whether or not that was the right thing to do. *shrug* I did what I did and I guess I stand by my decision.

In this fantasy novel, a prince is killed under suspicious circumstances by an aristocratic woman named Ijada and Ingrey, a landless aristocrat, is charged with bringing her to be tried. As the novel unfolds, we learn about the magic that rules the world, including the unlawful binding of animal spirits to people and the binding of human souls.  As Ijada and Ingrey travel to the capital city, they fall in love, but when they get to their destination, the king is dying and political machinations ensue, testing their bond.

I enjoyed this book, but I think I messed up by reading this book first. I'm not sure where I got the advice to read it before the first two books in the series, but that may have been a mistake. I was a bit confused about the world and even describing the plot in a coherent manner was a challenge.  BUT. It is an interesting world and the characters were wonderful, so I'll definitely be back for more. Also, it looks like I already read the first book in the series in 2013 and I referred to it as "brilliant," but I never followed up on the rest of the series, so I'm definitely going to go back and start there again.

3.5/5 stars, but I'll definitely read more of the series. 

Words I looked up:
Suborn (page 35 was the first of three times it appeared in this book, which was three times more than I had ever seen it): bribe or otherwise induce (someone) to commit an unlawful act such as perjury.

Geas (page 36): (in Irish folklore) an obligation or prohibition magically imposed on a person

Cuirass (page 366): a piece of armor consisting of breastplate and backplate fastened together


Lines of note:
In the uttermost extremity, abandoned by al who should have protected her, she'd found that she need not abandon herself. A powerful lesson.  A dangerous lesson. (page 16)
I like this idea that learning to trust yourself is powerful.

"But have you ever overheard two women discussing men? Men are crude liars, comparing their drabs, but women - I'd rather have a Mother's anatomist dissect me alive than to listen to the things the ladies say about what they think they are alone." (page 115)
Stereotypes!

Home? The narrow house was surely no home to him. But wheresoever she is, there is my place. (page 296)
I hope everyone finds the person that is their home. (Or pet, as the case may be.)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, well I went back and read your review of Curse of Chalion, and it sounds good! I would probably read them in the "correct" (?) order.

    ReplyDelete