Tuesday, April 12, 2022

March 2022 Expense Report

 

Communication ($45.96, 1.5%) - I bought stamps, some Easter greeting cards, and paid for my Zoom membership.

Bills ($480.50, 15.9%) - This was a big month for bills for me. As a reminder, my husband takes care of most of our bills, including electricity, phone, and the mortgage. This month, I paid for water/sewer, our home/car insurance, and a deficit in our escrow account that was there because taxes had increased.

Cars ($68.08, 2.3%) - I filled up with gas twice. Most of the time my husband drives more than me these days and he is filling up. One of our cars needs an oil change and I've been putting it off.

Charity ($51.52, 1.7%) - I donated to our local homeless organization that is doing a capital campaign for temporary housing shelters.

Clothing ($508.33, 15.8%) - This is a lot, but hear me out. I sent a lot of it back and should get about $100 in refunds, but those won't happen until next month. I also bought new bras and underwear which were absolutely necessary. I also bought a rain jacket, which I swear to you have I tried to buy through thrifting, etc., but I really need an insulated waterproof jacket and I have been looking for years. This time of year and in fall, it's crucial that I have one for dogwalking. I refuse to feel badly about how much money I spent on the coat because I'll use it like crazy. I also bought some new slippers because my old ones are getting to be dangerous (the wool upper is falling apart and I find myself tripping in them and I am a clumsy person who falls and injures herself way too much for that to be safe) and they were on sale.  It's a lot more than I normally spend, but I think they're all justifiable expenses.

Eating out ($34, 1.1%)  - Coffee twice and a few splurges when Dr. BB was out of town for a few days.

Gifts ($66.81, 2.2%) - My niece had a birthday party and I bought her a game and some books.

Groceries ($575.92, 19.1%) - It is what it is. 

Health and fitness ($644, 2.1%) - This is a lot, but I am paying for my PT appointments that I had for my back and each is costing hundreds of dollars. My health savings account is pretty wiped out because of the dental expenses in January, so the vast majority of this is coming out of pocket. The expense is one of the reasons that I only did three appointments. I also paid for sunscreen, vitamins, my regular fitness classes, and my running app.

Pets ($292.97, 97%) - Lots of medicine for Hannah, food for Zelda.  

Savings ($100, 3.3%) - I am disappointed in myself here, but I don't think I'll do much better in April because of some expenses heading my way.

Other ($149.93, 5%) - I have a big "other" this month. We did a Costco trip and bought lots of paper products, I had a few work-related expenses, and I bought a book for my Kindle.

I already know that I have another bill for PT due in April, Hannah has doctor's appointments at her regular vet and the fancy neurologist, and I should probably deal with the oil change and the ongoing saga of the car keys that need new batteries (I honestly do think this is no big deal, but I just can't be bothered since I so rarely drive).  Also, I already bought Hannah new food in April and the price has increased, so, hey, there you go. April will also probably not be my *best* month in expenses.

My favorite purchase of the month was my rain jacket - hands down. What was your best purchase in March?

14 comments:

  1. This is so interesting!! A finance post with actual numbers!! That's a rare thing to see. :) I would love to see a pic of the rain jacket. I feel like I could use one of those. I have an Eddie Bauer lined jacket that is great for spring/ fall, but it's not really waterproof. Then, I have a cute "rainjacket", but it's not lined, so it's not particularly warm. I need to somehow merge them into one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I had the exact same two jacket problem for this time of year and this new jacket will combine the two! You know exactly what I needed.

      Delete
  2. The right outdoor gear is essential.
    Like you, I try to thrift...but sometimes I need to stop being so frugal and just buy the item I need in the colour I like and size I need!
    I really need new winter boots as I finally threw out my leaking pair a few weeks ago. I was dreading the hunt...and realized, I can give myself permission to buy a new pair. Somehow that just feels...radical to me.

    Hmmm. Best money spent in March? Groceries? I love food...and I'm glad we have access to food and can buy things we enjoy. What a boring answer. I'm just wracking my brain for things I purchased last month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My winter boots are amazing and I bought them on sale, but paid a relatively pretty penny for them. I think spending money on winter boots is definitely justifiable, especially given that you spend time outdoors walking and whatnot in the winter!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely agree about a nice coat being a worthwhile purchase. The cost/use will be so low with how much you walk the dogs and how often you need to wear a jacket like that in our neck of the woods!

    My best purchase in March was a dinner out with a girlfriend to belatedly celebrate her 40th birthday. Plus I bought lunches when working downtown so our dining out category was much higher than it has been but for a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to going to out eat again. I haven't quite convinced myself to do it, but maybe soon!

      Delete
  4. Well, I think you did great. Your grocery bill was low (by my standards) and you only spent $34 eating out- that's teensy! Your clothing purchases sound essential. I would also wear old slippers until they're practically dangerous, and then I have to remind myself that these things aren't meant to last forever.
    I'm also wracking my brain and can't think of anything interesting or fun I bought in March! I'm more boring than Elisabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how we eked by on that grocery amount. We're usually higher than that, but I'm going to take it as a win!

      Delete
  5. When it comes to outerwear, you get what you pay for, and I think you are more than justified in buying a good raincoat! You are outside with the dogs a lot, and a good raincoat is essential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think I'll use it a lot, too. I've been "borrowing" my husband's, but I think having a women's fit will be really nice.

      Delete
  6. My rule of thumb for clothing purchases is that if I can get a $1 cost-per-wear on it, then it's 100% worth it. I am sure the same will be true for your rain jacket. A quality rain jacket is essential + will last much, much longer than a cheaper option.

    You spend about as much on food for two people as I do for one person, so you're doing much better than me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price per wear is so important. I definitely did the math and hope that it will pay for itself!

      Delete
  7. I need a similar jacket! Can you please share the link? They're like the unicorn of jackets, seriously. :) Also, your purchases are totally justified, in my opinion. No need for apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your finance posts so much. And please don't feel like you need to apologize that you spent too much money on clothes - you realize that some people spend this every single month, and not just on necessities?

    ReplyDelete