Thursday, February 03, 2022

January 2022 Expense Report



The above represents my actual expenses for January. You'll notice that the grey area is health and fitness and it's pretty big. That's because I had some dental work done that cost over $1200. I paid for this out of my health savings account, so it's money I put into into the account, along with some matching employer funds.  But I'm going to give you data as if that expense didn't happen because that money didn't come out of my earnings for the month. I did something similar last year in May when Hannah had an MRI done and we took that money out of savings. (BUT I KNOW IT HAPPENED.)

So the revised graph looks like:


Savings ($750, 31%): Because I didn't have to spend much on Hannah the Dog this month (KNOCKS WOOD), I was able to finally put money into savings. This felt good. Woot woot!

Groceries ($728.84, 30%): This included four trips to the grocery store and a trip to our local honey farm where I spent more than $100 on honey to get us through until the Farmers' Market opens back up on a regular basis. (My husband drinks A LOT of tea and puts A LOT of honey in it.)

Pets ($282.94, 11.7%): I consider this a "light" month. For heaven's sake. I got Zelda the Cat's food, some toothpaste, a Seresto collar for Hannah (I don't need this for a couple of months, but I needed the toothpaste right now, so I added it to the order to get the Chewy discounts), Hannah's allergy medication, and I renewed Zelda's microchip.  

Bills ($214, 8.9%): Home and car insurance and water bill. Our water bill went up dramatically because the rates increased and there's some sort of new main sewer line replacement charge. I nearly keeled over at the more than 30% increase. I'm pretty sure this is something I voted yes for, so ignore my complaining. 

House ($100.23, 4.1%): I started intentionally separating out household supplies from our grocery trips to get a better handle on household goods and supplies versus food costs. This includes things like paper products, cleaning supplies, and the new recycling bin

Communication ($92.73, 3.8%): If we really had to start economizing, I'd start with this area. I went to our local Hallmark store and bought greeting cards for everyone with January birthdays in our family and I bought a slew of Valentine's Day cards and stickers to send out to our nieces and nephews and other people I frequently send mail to.  This is absolutely unnecessary, but I love doing it and so it stays.  I also paid for my Zoom membership.

Gifts ($75, 3%): My oldest niece and two of our nephews had birthdays this month, so they each got a card and $25.

Charity ($51.06, 2.1%): Stephany wrote that one of her goals last year was to donate $25 a month to a charity and I think that's a great goal. I am going to try to do that this year, too. I'm going to try to focus on local charities. I bought a bunch of things off of the Amazon page of the rescue that helped us adopt Hannah the Dog.

Books ($41.12, 1.7%): I had to buy our book club book for the month because it just wasn't coming in to the library fast enough. I also bought a few Kindle books.  Buying books is not a great habit. I read so much that I rely on library systems with relish.  This was not a promising start to 2022, but I'll try to encourage our book club to read later releases if I can.

I did get a $200 gift card to Powell's for helping out with some friends' dogs while they were on vacation. I went over there twice a day and walked one of them and hung out with them for about two and a half weeks. I don't know if this service called for quite this much of a payment, but I will be trying to buy any other books using this gift card (obviously it came after I had already bought these books).

Health and fitness ($31, 1.3%): Once I took out that pesky dental procedure, this boiled down to my running app and the $20 fitness pass I pay for Zoom classes through our local healthcare system. The great news is that I'M NO LONGER PAYING FOR THE YOGA PASS I WON'T USE!! I'm so excited about this and still a tiny bit bitter about that $300. I was debating the usefulness of the running app now that it's too cold/icy for me to run outside, but I've taken to using it to track the length of dog walks, so now it's being used regularly and I want to keep it. 

Cars ($26.45, 1.1%): I filled up a car with gas once. My husband is the one who does most of the driving these days, so he's the one filling up. Ha ha ha on him!  One of the keys to our VW needs a replacement battery and neither of us are sure how that's going to work or how much it will be, so that's something that's probably going to happen in the next month.

Eating out ($24.50, 1%): I ate lunch out once and got coffee a few times.  I know that $25 a month is $300 a year, but it's not that bad, is it? I feel like I deserve a treat now and then. *sigh* I guess this really should be $0, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to convince myself to make it so. 

And that's that.

February is a shorter month, so I'm expecting groceries to go down slightly. I realized that some of my bras are looking a little ratty and the elastic is starting to crinkle, so I'm pretty sure I'll spend money on clothing next month, too, which is a little unusual.  I think I can get the books down to $0 and if Hannah the Dog can maintain her health status quo, the expenses should stay steady.  Fingers crossed!

16 comments:

  1. You track like nobody I know. I also gassed up once = $60 (or $58.xx).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I feel like I'm really a novice compared to a lot of the personal finance blogs, but I do my best.

      Delete
  2. I don't know for sure about VW keys, but I have had luck taking key fobs to Batteries Plus Bulbs to replace the battery: you buy the battery and they pop it in for you, which absolutely works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some additional research and it looks like it *should* be an easy fix. I'll pawn this off on my husband to do!

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is awesome. And I'm assuming that since Hannah the Dog didn't have many expenditures (or, more correctly, you didn't have expenditures on her behalf), this means she was feeling better?
    I'm so glad!!

    Also: "I'm pretty sure this is something I voted yes for, so ignore my complaining." Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah's health is status quo, which is that she's still taking daily meds for her spinal infection and has occasional pain flare ups, but she hasn't had an emergency medical issues. My husband and I are just coming to the realization that perhaps she'll just never be a "real" dog who can run and jump and play with reckless abandon.

      Delete
  4. $24.50 for eating out is so little! I would not feel bad about that a tall! In the grand scheme of things, trying to lower that isn't going to make a huge difference in your overall spending IMO.

    When I looked at the first graph, I thought the large gray pie piece was books and wondering how that category could be so big! Ha! But it was hard to see the different shades of gray.

    I'm doing a post tomorrow about our grocery and dining out expenses for the month of January. It was interesting to do a bit of a deeper dive. My husband does all of our grocery shopping and I don't pay attention to what he spends so it was interesting to look at the spending for that week and then the month of January, as well as dining out which we are doing very little of these days. I thought our dining out number was low but it looks large compared to $24!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think our grocery budget makes up for the low eating out. My husband's dietary restrictions make it so that he can't eat out, so I guess this really should be nothing, but I'm motivated by rewards and sometimes getting a coffee out can make me run errands I really don't want to run, so the category will never be nothing, I guess. I don't beat myself up too much over it.

      Delete
  5. I love this -- and just LOOK at how fat that savings slice is! I love that you send cards to family members -- I do that too, even though cards are SO EXPENSIVE MY GOD WHY, and I don't plan to stop either. And... your eating out expense doesn't seem so egregious! Obviously, if you are actively trying to cut back maybe that is a spot to look at, but... we all need treats, especially these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeting cards are my kryptonite. $6 for a pithy card with a cute dog on it? Sure, no problem!

      Delete
  6. This is really fascinating and I love the pie chart. AND the communication idea. That's really good. I will always send cards. I know how much I appreciate getting them and it's a fun thing to do. I haven't eaten out since summer. Although I did do one take-out, so I guess that counts, in dollars, if not in ambience! I hope your dental work is settled now. I hate those big lumps like that. Thanks for stopping by! I need to check some of your older posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a frequent card sender. I think it's mostly what my nieces and nephews know me for!

      Delete
  7. Yeahhh, if anyone says anything about you spending $25 on takeout, send them to me because I have a budget of $300 per month on takeout. I just really hate cooking, especially for one person.

    Hooray for spending less on Hannah this month so you could add more to savings! Let's hope that's a trend that continues in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking for one person IS not fun. I remember a lot of eggs and toast when I was single.

      Delete
  8. I'm going to agree with the commenters that your your eating out expense is TEENSY! We get takeout once a week, and then this week we're actually going out to eat with friends (so another dinner out on top of the takeout.) That doesn't usually happen, but still... takeout once a week for three people... it's not cheap.
    Glad to hear that Hannah is holding steady! Great job this month in spite of the book spending (I also bought a book because my library holds weren't coming in!) If you're putting that much in savings I would say you deserve to buy a book every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, your eating out is nothing compared to many people! I'd stick with it if it makes you happy. :) Also, I love that you send cards so regularly - to me, it doesn't sound like cutting back on that would be worth it for you, either. You're allowed to spend money on the things that make you happy! I buy a ton of books. I never can get them when I want them at the library, so that is my big splurge. I'm okay with that!

    ReplyDelete