Tuesday, January 25, 2022

A Purple Bin

I was the first person in my household to go away to college, so when we were packing for me to leave home, my mom and I diligently purchased everything the school sent us about what I would need. I rented a microwave/minifridge combo, got the extra long sheets, a set of towels, shower caddy, flip flops, an umbrella, and an extension cord, but despite our best efforts to do everything right, there were things we missed.

So it was with this that I found myself in a local Walmart* with a list of things I still needed about two weeks into my freshman year and about $200 in my bank account that had to last until I figured out  a job. One of the things I decided I needed was a larger wastebasket. The wastebaskets in our rooms were the size of a box of cereal and I was struggling with the idea that I would be taking out trash every time I left the room. So I bought a purple kitchen wastebasket.

And I moved that wastebasket into my first apartment post-college, all the way to Minnesota for grad school through five apartments. When Dr. BB and I moved in together, we used it as our kitchen garbage. When we moved to Wisconsin, it came with us. Along the way, a slight hole developed in the bottom, but it still did its job. 

(I think this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it. This stupid trash can represented my fledging independence in college. It represented to me, in a very small way, that I could be trusted to make decisions and that those decisions could be positive. After all, this thing I bought lasted for more than twenty years because I bought something that was quality and I took care of it. It represented that I was a functioning adult.)

When we moved into our house almost five years ago, the purple bin was demoted to our recycling bin and we bought a slightly larger kitchen bin. But Dr. BB took the recycling out a couple of days ago and he banged the purple bin on our outdoors bin and a crack developed. (NOTE: Fragile plastic should not be banged against very durable plastic when it is below zero.) And then the crack met the hole in the bottom and the bin basically stopped any semblance of "containing" things.

I bought a new bin - it's white and boring and sits right next to the kitchen garbage can as if it has always been there.

But I'm not going to lie. When I saw the old bin in the outside trash, I felt a teeny bit emotional. 

What household item are you oddly attached to?  Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels sad when mere things have outlived their usefulness.


*At the time, the town where I went to college had only a Kmart and Walmart. This was well before I was anti-Walton family, so I went there. I was young. I haven't spent any money there in a very long time.

13 comments:

  1. I have a waste bin that has sentimental value;-) Before I was born my parents were given an empty 5 gallon peanut oil can from neighborhood restaurant. It's the perfect size for a bedroom wastebasket, made of thin metal, and it has a unique logo on the outside. I ended up with the can as my childhood bedroom wastebasket and I've had it ever since. Yes it amuses me to no end that something that was intended to be thrown away before I was born is something that I use every day and it's fair to say that I have a sentimental attachment to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get this. I get very attached to things, because, as you point out, they become stand-ins for the feelings and memories and milestones that accompanied their entry into our lives! I still have several pieces of everyday china that are in the regular rotation, even though they have chips (no cracks in the food-holding surfaces) simply because we got them for our wedding and so have sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've written before about how I have a specific smell associated with Christmas (from a wax figurine my parents got for their wedding). When the cardboard box we kept Christmas ornaments in got so old and battered that it had to be gotten rid of, I think I actually cried.
    I am deeply sentimental about lots of things (ironically enough, because I tend to be a minimalist). Some of it is in memory only, but I think that certain objects become treasured because of what they represent or what we had to go through to earn the money to buy them etc.

    You're not alone AT ALL in feeling sad when things have outlived their usefulness. And gold stars for using it for so long and maximizing it's usefulness. I have clothes I still wear that I bought almost 20 years ago...I'm also clearly no fashionista because styles have changed! If it isn't broke...why replace it?

    http://elisabeth-frost.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I actually got sad when you talked about throwing away the purple bin. Yes, I can get very attached to things too. Especially something like that, that's followed you all these years. But then I get over it- as I'm sure you have- and remind myself it's just a "thing." I like how it was purple though- I would have bought a purple one in college as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a sad thing, and I an relate. First of all it was not boring white, and it represents so many years. I went through that when my sheep patterned fleece blanket finally ripped enough it might choke you when you used it. But I still have a few plants from college that don't look bad but don't look amazing, but I can't get rid of them. And we have a wooden waste basket a long dead friend of my husband's family made us when we got married,, and it doesn't hold much, but I wouldn't get rid of that either. I an probably think of a few more things. I guess I'm kind of a pack rat, but NOT a hoarder by and means.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I can totally relate to this. I gave away our Mighty Machines DVD collection and burst into tears while handing it to my friend with little boys. It just was such a big part of our lives. I have other things that I keep and hold on to, and it's kind of wrenching when they break/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t think of anything like that, but I agree about WM. To a large degree, it is the only store in town, but I hate going there. Fortunately, I don’t need to as we do have proper grocery stores. We have become very dependent on Amazon, however, and I guess that is not a very good thing, but I don’t know what else to do. Needs must, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt really sad when I got a new car and had to leave my old car at the dealership. She was with me for sooooo many years and I was really attached to her! I felt like I was abandoning an old friend. I understand the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are not the only one. I still miss my old car with the bumper taped on with duct tape. I liked shifting. Lots of little things too -- some games, my old doll house.... I totally get the purple bin sadness. There are lots of decisions like that I hpe I'll never have to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so relate. In my case, it's a green hamper that I bought when I went to college that now resides in our sons' room. A very pinteresty friend has sent me ideas for 'cute' laundry baskets for our kids rooms. I am the least pinteresty person ever. Really. So I just ignored what she sent me and Paul continues to use this hamper, that I might have actually used in my room growing up. So who knows how old the thing is! There is nothing cute about it, but that is fine with me!

    Similar to Stephany, I was sad when my 2003 Honda Accord died on me back in 2016, necessitating the purchase of a new car. That car had been through a lot with me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a small blanket that I bought in college that I still use and that has served me so well in 20 years. I am going to be sad when it falls apart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to think of one thing... and drawing a blank. Storage containers, definitely. But there are so many small objects that have meaning for me, that are (seemingly) impossible for me to get rid of. Like the sweater I am wearing today. It's not the most recent style. It's not even my favorite style anymore. But I bought it at a particular time in my life - similar to your purple bin - and so the thought of donating it makes me, well, sad. I think we all get it, in some way. <3

    ReplyDelete