Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Taking Popular Culture Seriously: The BGSU Effect

I did my undergraduate studies at Bowling Green State University (BGSU) in Bowling Green, Ohio.  One of the many things this school is known for* is that it has one of the only departments of popular culture in the country. An entire floor of the Jerome Library is devoted to the school's pop culture collection. And the ethos that popular culture is important and worthy of study, reflection, and evaluation permeates the entire institution.  Every literature, politics, and history class I took presented me with artifacts from various time periods and encouraged me to discuss their importance in the wider historical and cultural contexts.


Consider a history class in which we watched the Disney film Pocahontas, examined drawings and etchings from various time periods in which she was represented, read some material about her life, and then tried to figure out what the "truth" was. It was impossible, of course, but forced all of us to think really hard about what the purpose of each representation really was. Disney was not there to tell an accurate story, but to create a mythology around a Disney princess. The drawings from the time she was alive were there to sell the idea of a "taming of the savage" and their narratives were not to be trusted.  

I bring this up because I was recently looking up information about the song "The Pill" by the great and good Loretta Lynn. In this research, I learned that many rural doctors claimed that the song had more success in getting information out to women about contraception than they had in the previous decade. As a popular culture phenomenon, the song was a middling hit, but it created a ruckus and lots of awareness about birth control. It changed the narrative and the course of women's lives. It's an important piece of the story of women's liberation. It's not "just a song." It's an integral part of history and politics.

This is the background I bring with me to evaluations of books, podcast, and other media. I don't just consume culture without thinking about and its place in society. I don't read for mere entertainment, or, at the very least, I can't shut off the part of my brain that was trained for so long and so hard to look at culture as leading the way (or hindering the way) for social progress. I can't just read a romance novel and pretend that this billion dollar industry doesn't have an influence over how its readers think and feel.

The Bowne Popular Culture Library is home to a massive fiction archive and serves as a repository for professional organizations, including the Romance Writers of America. Citation.

Then, as if this were not enough, I went to grad school in a social science discipline.

 (For those of you who are curious as to how I read so much, the truth is that I learned in grad school. We were regularly given hundreds of pages to read each week for each seminar. I have always been a quick reader, but at the level of grad school, I had to step up my game or never be able to finish the reading for a week. It's a skill like any other and the key thing is that because I'm such a reader, I've never stopped practicing and so it's a skill that hasn't atrophied in my life.)

This furthered my instant critical reaction to everything. Our job was to critique and critique some more. And that brings me to my current state. 

So why don't I just join in and say I love all the popular things? Because I've lived my life in such a way as to prevent me from just not thinking and just mindlessly enjoying. I can't watch the Olympics without thinking about the political mess that is China and the IOC, I can't watch the Super Bowl without all the failings of the NFL ringing in my ears, and I can't read a romance novel without thinking it represents how far (or not) women have come in the last two hundred years. I can't just watch thousands of people stand up for a national anthem at a baseball game and not have flashbacks to Nazi Germany. There are a few things I can shut my critical brain off for - Taskmaster comes to mind - but this is how I am and what I do. 

So, for those of you who wonder why I am the way I am, here's your answer. I'm very much trained to do this. I can't shut it off and I feel like this blog is a great space for me to get out all of my thoughts without forcing them on my husband all the time. It turns out he doesn't care what I think of Jasmine Guillory or Robin Hobb, but maybe you do. 

But, if you don't. No worries. There's bound to be Zelda the Cat and Hannah the Dog content soon enough.

*Education programs, SICSIC, Scott Hamilton, Freida and Freddie Falcon also come to mind.  They are also strong in many other academic programs, including I/O psych and nursing.

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I admittedly did not take many classes in the humanities when I was in college at the University of ND. I was a math major with a minor in finance. So much of what I took was numbers based. There were some required humanities since I have a BA, but so much of what I took was numbers/math based. So I think I do not think as critically as you do! I read quite a bit, although not as much as you do, and I think about what I am reading but probably with a less critical/questioning eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a math minor and applied this same critical lens to my math texts, particularly story problems and things like race/sex of experts that were featured. The humanities infiltrate everything!

      Delete
  2. I don’t know that song, but it seems to have been an important one.

    Did you take a speed reading course or just develop your skill on your own?

    I have to admit that I am not reading much these days, and I usually skip book reports (not just yours) because I figure that I will never read that specific book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this context about you! How cool! I admit that I often wish I could be more analytical or critical of the media I consume. I take more things at face value than I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,I bet you do analyze things more than you think, but you are able to shut it off better than I am!

      Delete
  4. Such an interesting concept. I wonder how much we are "trained" without our knowing, too. A lot, I would suspect...
    You're very aware of some of the major influences that impact your worldview today, but I would imagine most are not (myself included on some things)! So much is subconscious in our responses, but a fascinating concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing that you're an analytical person to start with, and your college experiences honed that quality. Do you ever wish you could just turn off that side of your brain, and accept things at face value? Or do you feel strongly that ignorance is NOT bliss? I know, once you know something you can't "un-know" it. Anyway, your blog is not light and fluffy, and we don't expect that of you. We like you the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes wish I could turn it off. I just want to watch mindless television, but, Taskmaster aside, there's very little when I can pull that off!

      Delete
  6. This is very interesting and I think you're totally right that most people mindlessly consume while others must dissect everything. I tend to dissect (not quite to the degree that you've been trained to do), but I work in the sciences and I am definitely trained to pay attention to detail and I usually notice when e.g. book has "lose ends" that don't get tied up at the end (drives me nuts LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so interesting! I love thinking about how things come to be popular or mainstream, it's just all so interesting. I have my MA in Economics, and believe me, I totally understand the need to dissect and analyze every.little.thing. If someone gives a statistic, I want to know the data behind it. You're my people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so very interesting and gives such a better context to the way you view the world. I love that you are so critical about what you consume, and it always makes me think about things in a deeper way. I imagine it would be nice to shut off your brain from time to time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fascinating - I didn't know that BSGU had this kind of focus! It explains a lot. I do this endlessly for work - picking apart articles (including my own), so don't tend to do the same to my fun books because, well, my brain needs a break periodically. What does NOT stop is my constant questioning. Always, always, always asking 'why'? Or saying, 'I wonder if...'

    It drives the people in my life (who are not researchers) absolutely bonkers. :)

    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete