Friday, December 03, 2021

Shards of Honor (Vorkosigan Saga #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold

 Falling Free

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold is the first proper entry in the beloved space opera Vorkosigan Saga.  Falling Free is a prequel that takes place roughly two centuries before the events of this book. 

Cordelia Naismith is doing a regular, boring survey of an uninhabited planet with her shipmates when her group is attacked by a renegade group of Barrayans.  She's taken prisoner by Aral Vorkosigan. Adventures between them ensue and they fall in love.

I was not exactly blown away by this book, I'll be honest. I had a lot more fun reading Falling Free and found myself struggling a lot to get the gumption to pick this one up. The romance felt forced and I just feel like a lot of the political machinations were over my head. 

Things did pick up at the end. When Cordelia returned to her home planet and her own government was trying to brainwash her and get her to spill all of her secrets, I started to become quite invested in the characters, so I'll probably go on with the next book, but I'm not in a real hurry to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment