Sunday, November 14, 2021

Our Evening Routine

As a bookend to my morning routine, here's what happens in our house on an average night.

4:30pm - The cat starts yowling for dinner. She has not adjusted to the time change from last weekend.

6:00pm - Dr. BB feeds Zelda and I train, feed, and medicate Hannah.  Hannah is (generally) at her best at this moment. We get the best training from her and she just watches every move I make and makes me feel like I am an absolute genius with the dog. I mean, the reality is that she's quite hungry and she's watching the hand with the kibble in it, but hey, you take your victories where you can get them.

Then I make/reheat dinner and we eat.

She really rocks her evening look.

Between 7:30-8:30pm, I take Hannah out for her evening walk.  Sometimes she's up for this walk and we're out for 30 or 45 minutes. Sometimes she's grumpy, walks ten steps, pees, and wants to go back inside.  Whatever she wants on this walk is what she gets.  After her walk, she gets a snack.

It's a snack life.

9:00pm - I go upstairs to change into pajamas, brush my teeth, and wash my face. Dr. BB goes to take a shower.

9:30pm - I brush Hannah and Zelda's teeth.  Then I sit on the couch with a blanket over me in a blatant attempt to get the cat to cuddle with me.  Meanwhile, Dr. BB heads up to bed.

I brush the dog's teeth with a child's toothbrush. I use a piece of gauze with toothpaste on it for the cat.  

10:00pm - As soon as the church bells start tolling on the hour, I give Hannah some sweet potato treats and put her in the mudroom. I say goodnight to the girls and head upstairs to bed.

3 comments:

  1. Your 6 pm description of time with Hannah is hilarious. "I mean, the reality is that she's quite hungry and she's watching the hand with the kibble in it, but hey, you take your victories where you can get them."

    This made me laugh out loud.

    Also, that snack dish looks extremely cool!

    My night routine varies a bit, but generally:
    5:00-6:00 pm = supper
    6:00-6:30 pm = clean up from supper/general house tidying
    6:30-7:30 pm = child wrangling (bedtime, teeth, showers, homework)
    7:30-8:30 pm = work/leisure/projects
    8:30-9:00 pm = fit in a shower
    9:00-10:00 pm = either read/watch a show to unwind with the hubby
    10:30 pm = aim for lights out

    http://elisabeth-frost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess with dogs, you have to have a pretty set routine - they know the clock internally :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved reading about your morning/evening routines! I really need to get into a better evening routine so I'm not winding down for bed at, like, 9pm (which means I'm not *actually* in bed until 11!) What types of trainings are you doing with Hannah?

    ReplyDelete