Friday, September 03, 2021

August Physical Activity Accountability Buddy

In early August, I had a Facebook exchange with someone that went like this:

Friend #1: Those of you who can sustain exercising regularly, how do you convince your body it is better than reading or watching Parks and Rec or playing corn hole with kids?
Friend #2: It's not negotiable. My day revolves around it. My mind feels better. The more you do it, the more fun it gets.
Friend #1: I hear that. But how to you tell yourself it is more important than doing more work, or laundry, or spending time with your family?
Me: It is a form of love towards others. My father died young and while I don't know if exercise would have prolonged his life, I know that evidence shows it may prolong mine. I want my loved ones to know that I did all I can to be with them. Every half hour of exercise is FOR others. It's more important than vacuuming or laundry.

And I made Friend #1 my fitness accountability buddy for the month and sent her a Facebook message every day with an update. She also sent me her updates, but I'm just going to share mine because I don't want to violate her privacy.

Tuesday, August 3
30 minute tabata class and a 45 minute meditation restore yoga class. Hannah the Dog "helped" by repeatedly trying to take over my yoga mat.

Wednesday, August 4
30 minute cardio class and 30 minute body sculpt class.  Hannah was once again "helpful."

Thursday, August 5
One hour slow flow yoga class, but it was really a restore class, which was good because I was feeling it after the last couple of days.


Friday, August 6
15 minute move and stretch class, followed by a 30 minute run. It was hot and humid and pretty terrible outside, but I did it.
I look so much like my Uncle Kevin here that it makes me laugh. I'm a dude in my 60s, everyone!

Saturday, August 7
No formal workout. We had to clean in the yard after a storm last night, so I was outside for a while doing the hard work of dealing with downed branches and plants. Took the dog for an extra long walk before we drove to Iowa and back for a quick family thing (wore masks the whole time).

Sunday, August 8
30 minute Fitness Blender arm workout.

 Monday, August 9
40 minute run dodging thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches.

Tuesday, August 10
30 minute tabata class.

Wednesday, August 11
30 minute cardio class and 30 minute body sculpt class. Both classes were killer hard.

Thursday, August 12
No formal workout.

Friday, August 13
15 minute move and stretch class after a morning of struggling with spreadsheets and gritting my teeth a lot. 45 minute Yoga with Adriene video after work.

Saturday, August 14
35 minute run.


Sunday, August 15
An hour doing yardwork.  We pulled together three bags of yard waste. It was intense.

Monday, August 16
The day got away from me and I didn't work out. I had plans, but those plans failed. Mondays are hard (this will be repeated all month long).

Tuesday, August 17
30 minute run.

Wednesday, August 18
20ish mile bike ride with my husband and a few of our friends. It was really fun and delightful.

Thursday, August 19
One hour of meditation restore yoga. It was mostly laying on my back and counting breaths. It's been a couple of weeks since I'd done a class (because of scheduling) and I usually go twice a week, so it was really needed. My back feels a lot better.

Friday, August 20
15 minute move and stretch class at lunchtime. 25 minute tabata video before dinner.

Saturday, August 21
45 minute arm workout doing a Fitness Blender video and then a 20 minute Yoga with Adriene video for lower back pain since I tweaked something doing tabata yesterday.

Sunday, August 22
35 minute run before breakfast.
Monday, August 23
15 minute move and stretch class at lunch time, but otherwise took the day off because Mondays are hard.

Tuesday, August 24
Hannah and I went to obedience class. I guess this isn't really a workout of any real merit, but I do sweat a lot and Hannah and I walk around the ring a million times. 

Wednesday, August 25
30 minute cardio class followed by 30 minute body sculpt class.  

Thursday, August 26
One hour yoga class.  


Friday, August 27
30 minute run before breakfast.


Saturday, August 28
30 minute tabata video (arms).

Sunday, August 29
I accidentally ran out of clean sports bras, so I did laundry and took Hannah on an extra long (and extra hot) trip to the dog park. I'll pretend, for the sake of this record, that I didn't stop at A&W on the way home and get a root beer float, if you'll pretend, too. I guess it wasn't my healthiest day, but that's life, I guess.

Monday, August 30
30 minute run before breakfast. It was actually cooler in the morning than it has been in quite some time, so it felt nice.

Tuesday, August 31
30 minute tabata class. It kind of sucked and hurt, but I did it.  Not my favorite workout of the month.


No comments:

Post a Comment