Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Rendezvous by Amanda Quick

When I was a teenager, I would read romance novels by Jude Devereaux, Nora Roberts, Barbara Delinsky, Julie Garwood, and Judith McNaught like they were candy.  My mom would occasionally leave me an Amanda Quick to read, but I am not always a huge fan of historical fiction, particularly historical fiction that's based around London's ton and snagging titled husbands and wealthy heiresses. So when Amanda Quick's Rendezvous came up on my to-read list, I wasn't exactly thrilled.

But it was adorable. I literally laughed out loud three times in the first fifteen pages.  The hero was basically my husband all trussed up in Regency clothing, complete with writing treatises on boring men from history and being slightly obsessed with reputation and propriety.  The heroine was flighty and impetuous and didn't seem to care much about consequences of her behavior, but she was fine enough.

Yes, there were giant plot holes.  I feel like I really wanted to know more about the hero's first wife and the heroine's parents. The villain in the story was predictable and the mystery was not really a mystery.  The precocious child grated on me.

But...you know what? I'd read more Amanda Quick if it came across my path. It's also sort of inspired me to reread some McNaught and Devereaux.  Why are there so many books and so little time for all of them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment