Monday, August 10, 2020

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

I adored Nicola Yoon's book The Sun is Also a Star.  So when I saw that Everything, Everything was available on the Libby app to skip the line and read it immediately, I was sold.  I eagerly started reading it as soon as I downloaded it.

Summary: Girl has a serious disease that means she never leaves her house. She is bubble girl. But a family moves in next door and there's a boy her age. They start communicating through IM and email and there is love.

Pros:
1) Maddy writes comics and cute cartoons and notes to herself. These are mostly fun.  She writes one-sentence spoiler-filled summaries of books she reads.  These are sort of funny.

2) The dialogue and technological communications between Maddy and Olly are absolutely unrealistic, but they are hilarious and charming.

3) The writing is easy, breezy, and is entertaining.

Cons:
1) Maddy is a brat.

2) Every character who is not Maddy is a cardboard cutout. That includes Olly, the mom, the nurse, and the entire rest of Olly's family.

3)  The whole critically ill teenager trope is done. I read the Fault in Our Stars and it was good. I liked it.  It's done, though.

4) The stupid, stupid ending. I don't want to write anything spoiler-y, but the ending was cheap and left me feeling very unkind feelings towards Yoon. Also, if I were a person with this disease, I would be irate.  

So, I didn't love it. It was a fine read, but if you're going to give Yoon a try, read The Sun is Also a Star instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment