Friday, November 30, 2018

Catalogpalooza!

One thing I love this time of year is the avalanche of catalogs that appear in our mailbox. I know that, as a person who is concerned about the future of this planet, I should HATE it. I should stamp my feet and call all the companies and demand they take our names off their mailing lists. But, no, I won't do that. I will continue to pile them up on the dining room table next to where I eat and flip through them during breakfast.  I actually mostly call them magazines because I read through them so carefully.  Here are my favorites.

1. Uncommon Goods 
It turns out I've written an entire post about my love for Uncommon Goods. Okay, fine, whatever, I still love it.

The latest thing to do with children at my father-in-law's house is jigsaw puzzles. Our nieces and nephews have some awesome finger dexterity. I'm thinking about getting my FIL one of these geode puzzles ($65) because they look impossible. Keep those kids busy!
This is not a hint to anyone, but I've been lusting after these gemstone nightlights for a couple of years now. We really do need another nightlight downstairs, but I think $35 is a bit too steep a price for me to pay for a nightlight.  But the amethyst is beautiful. I should probably just go get another $3 set of two to match the nightlights we currently have.
2. MindWare
There are so many toys I want to buy for myself. Alas, I am supposedly an adult. We have my 4-year-old niece (almost 5) and 6-year-old nephew (almost 7) in the draw. The text about what they would like for presents reads "He loves non-fiction books right now. Loves to read about animals, insects, etc. I think he would also like maze books or workbooks. He reads chapters books, so probably up to 3rd grade reading level. She wants a snow globe (she's seen some and said she wants one) or anything with pink/purple/glitter."

Note: We had the same nephew in the draw last year and while I thought giving him math workbooks, maze books, and pencils was THE LAMEST gift ever, he loved it. His mom is excellent at knowing what he likes, so I'm going with her advice.

So for my niece, I think I'm going to get her a set of make your own glitter snow globes. At $39.95, this is WAY above our $25 budget, but I don't care. She can make her own snow globe AND there's glitter. I am on board.  If her parents don't want to do the messy project with her, Aunt NGS will gladly do it with her. 
For my nephew, I might get him a set of Math Adventures workbooks ($39.95 for a set of 4) and some Maze Books ($14.95 for a set of 2).  I feel like those are things that would have made me somewhat unhappy to receive as a child at Christmas, but I do think he'll love it. I don't even care about the budget if I'm getting a kid workbooks.
I'll also get each of them an age-appropriate non-fiction book and call it good.

3. Guideboat
Guideboat makes me feel like a hipster wannabe, but I love it because they use older models and more importantly, regularly feature DOGS in their catalogs. Basically, if you do a search for "bags" on Guideboat's catalog, there's a strong chance I've considered ordering each resulting bag for myself.

Consider the "Ditty Bag."  This bag is regularly $95, but is on sale for $76 right now. No, I don't need it. But isn't it gorgeous? That sale price is making me strongly consider it, but I need to be strong-willed. 

Oh, you don't like that one? What about the "French Postal Bag"?  Oh, you say. You have a bag that looks almost exactly like that? Why, yes, I do, but this one's on sale for more than half off right now!! (Regularly $275, but $139 right now.) If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have a dozen brown leather cross-body bags, but that's neither here nor there.


4. Celtic & Co.
At some point, I got on C&C's mailing list because I am concerned about ethical fashion and all their stuff is made in Great Britain and it has a great reputation. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I cannot afford their form of ethical fashion (socks for $66!), I will happily lust after everything in their catalog.

Come on, tell me you don't want this Hunter Hat for $170. (No, seriously, I bet it's fabulous and warm. Also, I got a ear flap hat from the Gap about 15 years ago in the clearance bin for $10 and it's still going strong, so maybe I don't need it.)

5. See's Candy
I love that everything in See's is gluten-free. It makes my life so much easier to just be able to order everything.

Also, I've written about my love of the Cinnamon Lollypops before ($9 for 12 lollypops), but I'm not kidding. Go get some. They're delicious and only available for a few months every year.
6. Orvis
Orvis skews a little old for us.  I did, however, purchase a sweater for Dr. BB there one year (suuuuuper soft wool, but too short in the sleeves, so it had to be returned, although we both mourned it) and have been on their mailing list ever since. This catalog also regularly features dogs, although those dogs are normally hunting and occasionally have fowl hanging out of their mouths, so beware.

I highly recommend their sweaters if you have normal-sized arms instead of extraordinarily long ones.

This black sheep Irish fisherman's sweater is on sale for $99 right now. It's so soft, you guys.


7. Prana
I have some Prana clothing and I don't love all of it. I also find the incredibly variety of yoga pants quite confusing in this catalog. It almost makes me feel bad about myself because I still don't know exactly what I need in terms of yoga pants. The first decision is crop, legging, pant, and then you have to decide fit and length, and then color and fabric, and then I cry. Can't I just get a pair like the ones I bought at Old Navy that lasted for fifteen years?

I honestly can't deal with Prana.

8. Filson
Oh, Filson. I love the bags and the menswear line. I can't help it. I also love the sled dogs in the catalog. I think the through line on all these catalogs is that I love a good catalog with dogs in it.

I can't afford anything in the Filson store, but man I'd love to be able to buy out the bag section (maybe not quite as much as Guideboat).  Like, this duffel bag can be yours for only $795!


 9. Vermont Country Store
This is not a catalog this is normally our style. I get it, though, so you better believe I examine it in excruciating detail.

What I most want from this store is matching union suits for me and Dr. BB. I can't think of anything more hilarious than wandering around in our house wearing these.
This is really a place I would consider for hostess gifts.  There's great options for food (one pound cheese sampler for $24.95 or 12 ounces of maple leaf candy for $29.95) or home decor ($9.95 for placemats - I would LOVE if a guest brought me a set of six placemats or a soap sampler). Basically, if you don't know someone very well, this is a great place to look for ideas.

10. LL Bean
I always get college-bound high school seniors an LL Bean backpack for college at their open houses. The Deluxe Book Pack ($49.95) is the backpack I use for my part-time job and is my favored bag. I use it nearly daily and it has been rugged enough to deal with a lot of weight AND a lot of travel. I also have an LL Bean down coat that I swear by in the cold, Midwestern winter. It's lightweight, but seriously the warmest coat I've ever owned. (Also, my sister bought it for me and I had only worn it a few times when I put a hole in it. The full story is here.)

Currently I need new slippers and I'm considering a pair of scuffs ($59). LL Bean has such fun designs and I like that the slippers have a rubber sole.


1 comment:

  1. (I swear I left a comment yesterday, so sorry if there is a semi-duplicate in moderation somewhere.) I love catalog season, too! We get similar catalogs. I love the Vermont Country Store one primarily for the copy -- so fun to read! Orvis is one of my favorites. Their stuff isn't 100% my style (although some is close), but it's such nice quality and all the cheerful dogs in the catalog sure make me want to buy things.

    We got a Zingerman's catalog yesterday, which is also SUCH fun to read. And fantasize about being the kind of person who would send/receive a $100 package of bread and cheese as a gift.

    ReplyDelete