Friday, August 31, 2018

Podcast Roundup Week #35

I listened to 55 episodes this week. I'd tell you all about how I was in the car for more than 24 hours in a 72 hour period, but I don't think you need to hear about it.

Dr. BB and I had just finished have a sobering discussion about end-of-life decisions that started with me quietly noting that Jack Kevorkian was kind of a lunatic who had some fair points, but ended with both of us shrugging and sort of acknowledging that people who have mental health issues should (maybe? probably?) be able to make end-of-life decisions, but that those cases were hard and would definitely have to be determined on a case by case basis, if euthanasia was ever made legal in the United States.  Then I listened to "Aurelia's Story" a BBC Documentary broadcast about a young Dutch woman who decided to take her own life after suffering from mental illness for her whole life. Dutch law allows for euthanasia in certain circumstances. This episodes presented both sides of the debate really well and not once did it fall back on religious arguments, which makes the whole thing much more powerful.  I don't know, my friends. I think if you want to end your life, you should be able to, but I worry that if you illness makes you think you want to end your life, but once you are treated correctly, you might not feel that way, it's too late.  It's so complicated.


Telling people to listen to RadioLab is like telling people they should really listen to the music of that upstart Elvis Presley. I mean, RadioLab is a fixture of the podcasting world. But there was an interesting episode called "Post No Evil" that really dives into the world of Facebook and free speech and censorship that I really enjoyed, particularly in light of a debate that's ongoing in our house.  When people post gross things (ingrown toenails, a giant bruise, broken bone, etc.), I flag them and report them. I don't need that in my life. My husband thinks this is a violation of people's ability to ruin their own reputations by posting disgusting things. I don't know the answers. I don't know if Facebook should censor things, I don't know if it should be done by humans or automated, and I don't know if Facebook should be considered a technology or publishing company. But I do know that I'm grateful smart people are thinking about these things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment