Monday, July 02, 2018

2018 CSA Week #4


This week brings us a strange, not particularly useful basket. Ha.

2 teeny tiny cucumbers
Lettuce
Garlic scapes
Mizuna
Bok choi
Peas
Scallions

The bok choi looked terrible and I threw it out.  Sorry, not sorry.

I will chop up the cucumbers and peas and eat them for lunch.

The lettuce will get used in a salad. It's actually kind of a small head of lettuce, so it probably will only be a salad or two smaller salads.

The mizuna.  Ugh. It's a green with a kind of spicy kick. I'm going to try adding it to the lettuce raw, but I'm not sure how that will go. If it's okay, that's great. If not, I'll saute it up I guess for a side for dinner some night.

 Week four and I'm already over alliums.  We have green garlic left over from week one still, not to mention garlic scapes and scallions from last week. I'll keep plugging away at using them and they do store for a bit, but not forever.  What you can't hear is me sighing over here. Big, heavy sighs that we do this with the alliums from the CSA every year.

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of mizen before! Do you ever get things that you aren't familiar with? Does each box come with a list of what's inside and how to use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our farmers email us a list of what's going to be in the box the day before we go get the vegetables. This weekly newsletter tells us how to store them and usually has suggestions for how to use them, including some recipes. We frequently get things we don't *normally* use, but it's always nice to try something new.

      Delete
  2. Apparently autocorrect has ALSO never heard of m i z u n a

    ReplyDelete