Friday, June 29, 2018

Podcast Roundup Week #26

I listened to 49 episodes this week. I don't know how, since it's been perfect windows down with music blaring driving weather, so I've been doing that instead of listening to podcasts, but it's also been get outside and workout and garden and just be outside weather.  Here's what I've got.

I've written of my love for Nate DiMeo and his amazing storytelling podcast The Memory Palace before. DiMeo is an artist of the finest quality. He rereleased the episode "A White Horse" that traces the history of an long-standing gay bar and weaves in a narrative of queer history seamlessly.  In light of the Masterpiece Cakeshop decision made by the Supreme Court recently, it was refreshing and energizing to hear this episode.  The struggle has been long and it's ongoing. The Memory Palace's episodes are standalone and don't have to be listened to in order, so jump in and try some of it. You won't be disappointed.
I've been listening to She Says, an NPR production that follows the story of "Linda," a woman in North Carolina who was sexually assaulted, as her case goes through the judicial process. It's a tough listen. "Linda" is not a "perfect" victim. She was sexually assaulted while doing something illegal (obtaining drugs) and it doesn't sound like she has the cleanest record. It could be an opportunity for victim blaming, but so far I haven't noticed any. However, this case does address so many other issues of sexual assault - mishandling of evidence by the police, police interviewing standards, and the backlog of rape kits - that it's hard to look away.  It's hard, but I think it's important.

Also, keep listening to In the Dark. It's really the best podcast out there right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment