Friday, February 16, 2018

Podcast Roundup Week #7

This week I listened to 41 episodes. It was a light week because most of my free time was spent watching the Olympics, so I felt kind of like a normal person who watches television.

I'm going to give you the best three episodes of the week here.
 1) "The B-Sides Edition" of Slate's Hit Parade - I don't always like podcasts about music. But Chris Molanphy's Hit Parade is a veritable treasure of musical history. He looks at the musical charts, but always with a theme, sometimes even I theme I don't think I care about until I listen. This live version of the podcast comes complete with trivia and then trivia within trivia. I didn't care for the actual musical interlude, but I just fast forwarded until the musical guest was done. If you haven't listened to this podcast, but you like history and pop music and the intersection of the two, you should totally listen.
2) "Live from Sundance" from Slate's Culture Gabfest - It's all live Slate shows up in my picks this week.  The three hosts from Gabfest and Aisha Harris of the Represent podcast team up for this live show. But the best part of the entire thing was at the end when Julia Turner, EDITOR of Slate, cracks up attempting to explain the bullet journaling phenomenon and has to say Huhuhero Pens multiple times because she is laughing so hard. I laughed out loud, while walking on a sidewalk.  People looked at me, me! inconspicuous middle-aged lady,  because I was clearly overreacting.
3) "Ghost Snakes" from You're the Expert - I've recommended this pod before and I will again, I'm sure. Chris Duffy hosts an incredibly funny AND education panel discussion with some scientist. In this case, the expert, Sara Ruane, tries to get people to stop being so paranoid about how dangerous snakes are and comes to a rousing defense of the study of non-human species at the end of the episode. It was brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment