Thursday, November 02, 2017

Mantra: Don't Be Lazy


So, do people do NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) anymore?  During November you write a blog post a day?  I don't know. I'm thinking not. I actually have never done it because Thanksgiving. It seems really rude to just stop in the middle of festivities and head to my computer to write about how I'd rather be at home on the couch watching Stranger Things than hanging out with my beloved extended family.  Anyway.

I'm still not going to accomplish posting for 30 days in a row because Thanksgiving still exists, but I'll try and post something most days. That's vague enough, right?

I, like everyone I know, am a natural procrastinator. I would honestly like to be reading my book under the blanket with the cat curled up next to me all the time. If given my druthers, I'd rarely leave the house and I'd always be wearing sweat pants.

But I also know that if I did that,  I would feel terribly guilty and worried all the time.  I know that the rewards of procrastination are very rarely worth my emotional agony, so in the last couple of years, my inner mantra has become "don't be lazy," which is my harsher version of Nike's "just do it." 

For example, yesterday I was EXHAUSTED when we got home from school. But we had to run an errand, eat dinner, and then go to a concert.  Instead of just curling up on the couch with the cat for half an hour before we ran that errand, I took off my boots (which involved getting down the boot box, brushing them, and putting them back in their individual boot bags with their boot trees), wrote yesterday's blog post, got the trash ready to take out, and ate a snack to get me through the errand.  I didn't necessarily LOVE doing all that, but it made me less frantic later on in the evening.

I feel like I'm naturally lazy, so this is my way of forcing myself to do something about my laziness. So, this is my first attempt. I'm not going to be lazy about this poor, constantly neglected blog. November, here I come with lots of endless prattling!

No comments:

Post a Comment