Friday, November 03, 2017

Hurt Feelings

The main library in Milwaukee is this giant old building with gorgeous tile and big arched windows that allow light to stream in everywhere.  I found myself reaching for my sunglasses while I was  inside it this morning, reveling in the warmth as the temperatures start to dip into chilly.

Today was A Day. It's actually been A Week. I run around getting things done that MUST BE DONE, but at the end of the day, there's just more to get done.  I am doing things, but it doesn't seem like I'm doing the IMPORTANT things and I berate myself constantly for not having the right priorities.
And then it seems like my efforts at getting things done are somehow unappreciated, that my constant swirl of energy is just not enough for anyone.

But when I was in that library this morning, I just thought about all the people who had walked through it. What could those people who saw it for the first time have thought about its beautiful domed roof and the endless rows of glass? How many little kids have borrowed their first chapter books from this building? How many people have used it for help with taxes, finding a job, or just resting as they walk from one end of town to the other? How many students have come here looking for books on reptiles and dinosaurs? How many mothers have brought their kids to story time?  How many titles have gone in and out of the library? One library, that's all it is. But it's a big deal.

And my little worries? They're a speck in the pond.  This is my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment