Monday, June 25, 2012

G is for Gym

Why so many pictures of the gym, you ask? Because I spend oh so much time there.  It's a gorgeous facility, three stories of pure hell.  The first floor is mostly a weight room and I don't hang out there much, although occasionally I do my squats and lunges with the power lifters and trainers.  The second floor has a cardio room and a gymnasium and the third floor has a track, a few exercise bikes, and really strange weight machines that I've only ever seen three people use (see upper right hand corner).

It's been pretty delightful the last month or so because most of the college students are gone so it has been just me and a couple of diehards.  I originally wrote "a couple of other diehards" and then I realized that I didn't want you to think I actually was a diehard.  I am not.  I am, however, incredibly serious about rehabbing my injury.

So about that injury. It is almost seven months since my surgery.  I still limp most of the time, but I can do a lot.  I walk for at least three miles every day and most days it's more like five or six (yes, I keep track on a pedometer).  I work out at least three times a week doing a variety of punishing activities at the gym, including the exercise bike, the treadmill, and the elliptical, along with some light weightlifting focusing mostly for my lower half.  I stretch, stretch some more, get up and walk around, and stretch some more.  On my non-gym days, I try to do something, although that usually is just me goofing off with the Wii Fit Plus and attempting yoga poses I can no longer do, especially the dreaded Gate Pose and the stupid fucking I hate you Triangle Pose.

We got this gym membership long before my injury but I never used it until afterwards. I give it full credit for the progress I have made.  But I still really hate the Triangle Pose.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - it looks like a pretty fabulous gym! And girl, you DO sound like a diehard! Good for you for pushing yourself so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I've been going to a bootcamp in a nearby park for the last month. It's brought back the body I used to have before the baby. LOVE it. However, it's made me realize that for me to exercise, it needs to be social. I'm just not motivated to do stuff for myself. So I'm really impressed that you've been pushing yourself. Into triangles, even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is important to workout regularly. I never did until about two years ago. It has made an incredible difference and helped me to lose over 70 pounds! Still not to goal yet, but I keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those whacky weight machines of which you speak are Nautilus machines. They are awesome. I started using them in the early 80's at the YMCA. I still prefer them to free weights. Mostly because I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete