Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dispatches from the Strange

Driving around this strange little town, it is a rare day that we don't see a car, or more commonly a pickup truck, that has a sticker plastered on its back window that looks something like this:
From this site.
 Is this a thing people are doing these days?  Is it a small town thing?  It's not a midwestern thing because I'd never seen it before I moved here. Is it supposed to indicate that the automobile is a roaming memorial to the person in question?  Is it...well, can someone just explain it to me, please?

And speaking of weird things about this town, I'd just, for a minute, like to discuss the urban planning.  The town is totally spread out.  The university is on one end of town, the nicest (only nice) restaurant that serves dinner is on the other side, there are four great stores downtown and a McDonald's, the art museum is not even in the city limits, I don't think, and there's a weird shopping center just as you come into town with a Target, Menard's, liquor store, and Maurice's.  Just imagine a square with stuff on either corner of it and culture outside of that square, about a mile past anything, by the river.

Also, there's this weird intersection with the roads by the grocery store that involves near accidents at all times. Instead of fixing this intersection, the city pledged three quarters of a million dollars to complete a traffic circle (I'm sorry - roundabout) at an intersection where there is NO PROBLEM at all.  I'm am perplexed.

That's all.  This town is weird.  I am confused by the entire place.

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds very odd. And I'm from a very small town. The memorial stickers on the back totally sound like something people in my town would do, though.

    ReplyDelete