Friday, September 14, 2007

Laughter as the best medicine?

So there's nothing really funny going on unless you consider having eight hundred things to do funny. Including prep classes (not funny and did you know that in a class of 70 undergrads NOT ONE knew that the 19th amendment gave women the right to vote?), figure out some boring wedding details (not funny when your father emails you that he "feels left out" of the planning), and having downstairs neighbors knock on your door at 9:55 pm and say, "do you work at night because you're really loud between 10 and midnight?" because, folks, are you 112 years old? Get over it. We had just gotten home at 9:30. Bite it.

Okay, but I digress. The stress is getting to me. So here's an email that I wrote that makes me laugh. As I reread it, it's not really funny...but maybe it could be funny if you were stoned...or if you enjoy pithy comments about people that aren't meant to be mean, but could potentially be interpreted to be mean...

Hi Other Teacher,
I subbed for your orientation lectures this week. Here's a rundown on the classes.

Your Tuesday night class at a hotel downtown looks like a good mix of students. One guy is unemployed, one is in law school, and a few actually work for a living. Plus there are chocolates and water in the room. I don't know if you've taught at this hotel before, but the white board in there is pretty small, so you'll want to take that into account when you're thinking about your boardwork (as much as anyone thinks about boardwork outside of an actual class, I suppose). One woman has a pug named Petula.


Your Wednesday night class at a different location is the one I am not envious that you are teaching. There are three students. One is an international student from a country that is not the United States. I'm not sure about his grasp of the English language. He didn't laugh at my jokes, but it could be he either didn't find me funny or he didn't understand me (or both, I guess). One is a 2006 grad from a certain local university who wants to be a real estate agent and wore the highest heels I've ever seen in real life to class. The third is a guy who is married to a humorless woman I taught in a different class last year. He appears to have humor, but you can never tell. None of them have pets.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

NGS

1 comment:

  1. what?! your neighbours can't ask you that!! unless your playing carrie underwood at top volume and they have a little baby asleep! and i doubt either is the case.

    ReplyDelete