Friday, August 17, 2007

You Can't Spell America without Eric

So, for you Big Brother watchers out there (it's more than just me, right?), I have to say I am pretty upset about the way this season is moving along. First of all, I thought that violence and threatened violence were grounds for immediate expulsion from the game. And for that, Dick should have been eliminated a long time ago.

I usually just blow off reality television shows and the people on them because who are these people who audition for these shows? But, in this case, the fact that the Big Brother producers decided that an arrogant, homophobic, misogynistic hundred and fifty year old guy deserves airtime is disturbing. Did they think that would make for good television? I seriously stopped watching the show and simply read the recaps because his foul mouth and insults insult me.

I know there's been a lot of press about another person in the house, Amber, making anti-Semitic comments, but from what I can tell, it was one time and it wasn't over and over and over again in such a threatening manner. Dick deserves to not only be kicked out of the house, but he shouldn't be allowed to do any post-publicity and he should not get any money for anything past when he was aired on television. End of story.

And...and...America's player? Was there ever a worse idea? This poor guy can't play strategically in any way whatsoever because whatever "America" decides is what he has to do. And that...sucks. I mean, regardless of if you like Eric or not (and I honestly can't decide), he's doing the best he can with the bucketful of crap he's been handed.

1 comment:

  1. You know what I think is even weirder about the Dick situation? According to posts of the live feeds, the houseguests are getting directives while in the diary room to _keep_ Dick longer. Like, one of the reasons I'm pretty sure that Eric succeeded in his America-driven plan to eject Dustin is because Jessica is a complete and utter moron and when the Diary Room was like, "hey, wouldn't it be better if you kept Dick around?", she obviously would have been influenced.

    The America's choice thing, I'm more ambivalent about. On the one hand, it totally jacks Eric (though he could always choose to not follow some stuff, I guess. I think he does that, to a certain extent, with the stupid challenges that he doesn't actually try to do). On the other, it leads to totally random stuff happening in the game, which is often hilarious, especially when the houseguests use it to concoct random other theories (like the America's votes that led to stray votes, etc) that influence the game in unpredictable ways. I guess it depends, for me, on whether I care about the "integrity" of the game of Big Brother. And whether I like Eric, because I also can't decide.

    ReplyDelete