Saturday, March 14, 2015

10.14 Reach - Green

Bestest Friend and I are in the middle of a blog project. Each day of the month we will post a picture on a pre-determined theme and write a little something about it. The theme for the fourteenth day of each month is "Reach."
****************************
I love this tree. It's creepy at all times of the year and every time we walk by it, I send it a silent message of gratefulness for its stalwart beauty.  I listened to a radio show about how some scientists think that plants can feel pain, or, at the very least, have some sensory abilities and from that point on, I found myself talking to plants. I apologize to our houseplants for not watering them more often, I thank the grass for helping me run without pain, and I send grateful whispers to the first budding flowers of spring.

Perhaps it's a stretch to think plants have feelings, but people used to think babies didn't feel pain and some people still torture animals, thinking that their pain is somehow less important than human pain. 
So when I eat my carrots, asparagus, and cucumbers, it's not any different for me than eating chicken or beef - a being gives up its life to support mine and I am grateful.
****************************
To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, check out her blog, Too Legit to Quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment