Tuesday, December 14, 2010

NGS's Christmas Card Rules

1) I despise photo cards with lame generic "Happy Holidays from the Smiths" on them. Handwriting is essential to cards. I'll even take it as handwriting if you merely sign your name to the photo card, although of course I strongly prefer some snarky comment or inside joke written specifically for me. You can have typed address labels, but the only demand is some sort of handwriting.

2) Including only photos of your children. For the most part, I don't know/like/care about your children. Don't take it personally, but I'm interested in only the adults for about 75% of the holiday cards I receive. If it's a picture of your newborn infant I've never met, it's going straight into the recycling. If it's a picture of your family as a whole, I'll coo over how wonderful it is to see a happy family and it's definitely going to go on the fridge. From there, it will go to the photo album.

3) If you put confetti or glitter inside the envelope, I will be most unhappy with you. One of my aunts does this and I open her card over the trash can, read the generic lame greeting, and then toss it into the garbage.

4) While I don't mind a seasonal picture, I prefer a photo I can keep on the fridge year round. I have trouble justifying a picture of the kids on Santa's lap on my fridge after January 15. If, however, you send me a snapshot from your vacation to Idaho, I can keep that up on my fridge until you send me a more updated picture (probably next Christmas).

5) If you handwrite a newsletter, awesome (see #1 above). If you send out a typed newsletter, it better be awesomely sarcastic or some really big events better have happened to you to warrant it. Any bragging about promotions, how smart your kid is, or how your fiancee vomited blood in a major way, is totally not going to be okay with me.

6) Know your audience. My aunt, the same one with the confetti, sends us holiday cards every year with some variation of Jesus our savior is born on the front. Whatever. Save me from your uber religion and give me a reindeer. She also addresses the cards to Mr. and Mrs. BB and NGS BB's Last Name. First up. My husband is a doctor. Second up. I did not take his last name. I seethe every year. (The address and the confetti do me in every year.) I usually get a variety pack of cards at the end of Christmas sales every year with Hanukkah, Christmas, Season's Greetings cards and just send to the appropriate people. If I don't know which one to send them, I figure I probably shouldn't be sending!

7) If someone never reciprocates cards, I assume no interest and stop sending them cards. It make actually take two or three years before I kick you off my list, but I will get there eventually. I have an exception or two for a few friends who I know are adamantly opposed to sending cards (although the enjoy receiving them) and I don't have a database or anything (although that sounds like an excellent idea), but I do try and keep track of non-reciprocating folks.

8) So this list sounds harsh. I love receiving and getting cards. Even if you break some of these rules, you should still send them. It's always nice to be thought of, even if it is by some crabby aunt who tries to fill my apartment with glittery confetti and gets my name wrong.

10 comments:

  1. I totally break rule number one, but I would never send you glitter. Swear!

    I have fond memories of our whole family giggling rudely over the RIDICULOUS braggy typed letter we'd get every year from our cousins. Every year I am tempted to make up a truly ridiculous letter and send it out, and every year I chicken out. But I do wish I still got the letter from the McBraggyPants Family. I can only imagine that little Preston is a rocket scientist saving the whales and orphans in his spare time, by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE getting cards addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Husband'sFirstName Husband'sLastName. That is not my name. At all.

    My dad sends out a newsletter, but it's the hilariously inappropriate kind. I look forward to getting it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I break rule #1 too. Otherwise, I'd never send out any cards at all.

    My husband and I had a Major Discussion over our photo. We took quite possibly our best photo together (with the dog) indoors, but my husband wanted the one we took outside because it looked "Christmas-y." He did not care that I was squinting into the sun in that photo, and it was only after I kept oohing and aahing over our other, awesome photo that he finally gave in. And now at least 5 people have responded back in their Christmas cards on how great our photo was. Heh.

    We are totally with you on the glitter cards. Open over the garbage, read, toss.

    How do you feel about letters that feature rhyming poetry? Because my mom does that. :)

    Also, yesterday we got a Christmas card from my aunt that was just the envelope. So either she forgot the card entirely, or somehow it completely fell out along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally with you, darling!

    This should be required reading for all xmas card senders!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to violate your terms, but I don't have your address!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom once got on a Christmas card list for a family in which the dad was publishing a new version of his "best selling" chemistry textbook, the mom was leading a society, the son had gotten into Harvard, and the elementary school aged daughter had written a book and was selling it with proceeds being donated to charity.

    It was the funniest piece of mail I've ever read.

    Ever.

    (Though tragically yes, it was all true.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I SO agree with this list. Even though my newsletter this year will include my promotion and my husband's paper being published... I do hand write a note on the bottom on each one, does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I send pictures of my kids, but only unfortunate ones. Case in point, last years card was a picture of them choking each other before heading to the bus stop on the first day of school with the wording "Peace on Earth". I truly believe that children serve zero purpose if you can't use them to amuse your friends. (I kid, sort of.)

    The next time you get the newsletter, try reading it aloud in a very dramatic voice. Add sound effects. It helps alleviate the stress.

    Happy Holidays NGS! Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got a family newsletter written from the point of view of the three-year-old, and there was a LOT of talk about potty training. OMG, people.

    There are some acquaintances who I would probably remove from the card list after a few years, but family gets cards no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with #1. I never understand why people send generic cards with no personal message at all.

    I also prefer photos of the whole family instead of "just the kids" - but I like pictures of newborns too. :)

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete