Sunday, August 29, 2010

Deeply

He bounced around the apartment, checking under the couch cushions, noting that someone needed to vacuum the couch, rechecking the pockets in his jackets and pants, rooting through all the bags in our living room, including mine, and moving furniture to check underneath. I scampered after him and before too long sweat was pouring down my face and I could feel my blood pressure rising. I was all but guaranteed a bloody nose before the end of this event.

He lost his keys.

I repeatedly told him to take mine and I would look for his while he was gone. I told him he didn't need any keys today. Just ring the bell and I'll let you in when you get home, I promised. I just wanted him to leave because he was stressing me out so very much with his lost keys.

I know I had them when I came home last night, said he, so they must be in the apartment.

Finally, I had enough.

Let's do the dumb thing. Walk through the events of your homecoming last night. So we did. So the keys were found.

**************************

I've been reading a lot lately about how hard marriage is. For the most part, I don't know that I believe it has been hard for us. Our day to day existence is relaxed and easy going. Sure there have been moments of intolerance, miscommunication, and snapping at each other, but when if I had to pick five words to describe our marriage, difficult would not be one of them.

But these last few months have been difficult. My father's death has been a bigger life event that I could have ever imagined. We have been pulled in different directions, we have been in different states, we have seen different challenges. Dr. BB is still going full throttle on the academic job market in one of the worst markets in memory, I'm trying to help my mother and sister with bureaucratic bullshit from three states away.

***************************

So maybe marriage is only difficult when life is difficult. A shocking conclusion, I know.

6 comments:

  1. You know, I think you really hit the nail on the head there. I mean, provided that you pick someone who will commit to really trying, I think life is what makes things difficult.

    Big hug to you, friend. I'm sorry that this has been such a crazy time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the perspective of 16 years of married life I think there often comes a time where dissolution becomes an option, is placed "on the table". THAT's where marriages become difficult.

    Life will always toss up its struggles, and seldom will the burden of carrying them land evenly on both sets of shoulders. Beyond a certain point (the Seven Year Itch, perhaps?), Jill and I realized that in the long run we take turns being there for each other.

    Loss of a parent can be a lifelong alteration, perhaps even more so if the feelings toward said parent are or were "mixed". I'm still dealing with "stuff" from the May loss of my own father -- hoping to have at least the nuts bolts part completed by the end of CY 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's some truth to that. Even if you're both good at communicating, if you don't have time to work through the small things, then it all blows up or comes out sideways. As life stresses make you more emotionally 'thin', it's hard to be patient with each other.

    Since we started our marriage with my hubby finishing a PhD, my mother dying of cancer, and then Jrex starting med school, I think life was a big part of what was so hard.

    Great point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry things are crazy right now. I hope they get better quickly.

    On marriage... Sometimes I feel like everything in my life is going bad EXCEPT my marriage. Sometimes, everything sucks all at once. BUT... sometimes everything is wonderful. And I have to remind myself that life is just peaks after valleys after peaks after valleys. There's a peak or a valley right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you NGS. (And BB!) Be very gentle with yourself during these strange and hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll have our 9th Anniversary in January...and I wouldn't use the word "difficult" to describe our marriage either. I'd use words like: Peace. Security. Fun. Friendship. Dreaming Together.

    That said, I DO agree w/ your conclusion. When there is stress in life, relationships get stressed too.

    All relationships have frustration in them just as life has frustration in it. Such is the ebb and flow of life.

    I hope this year surprises you w/ immeasurable joy.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete