Thursday, October 18, 2007

Midwest represents?

The headline on CNN is "Storms rake the Midwest." I panic!! Oh, no!! People in the midwest are in danger. Let's go save them. The teaser underneath the headline reads, "Violent thunderstorms rolling through the Midwest spawned tornadoes and flash floods in Missouri and razed beer tents in Oklahoma. The storm system is moving today into the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley." I am slightly confused. Perhaps it should read, "Storms will soon rake the Midwest." Since when is Oklahoma in the midwest?

P.S. I am sorry for any Oklahomans who are hurt, of course. But they are not midwesterners. Hi, Garth!!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/18/2007

    I've been contemplating the term "midwest" as well, lately. Shouldn't there be a "mideast"? Is Ohio in the midwest? Why doesn't the US have clearly defined regions?
    I like orange sherbet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/19/2007

    Oklahoma is most def midwest. Once you get down to TX, however, you are in the Deep South.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much controversy!!! According to Wikipedia, the source of all completely accurate information, the Midwest is Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Illinios, and Ohio. Because of some regional differences in the word (probably from people who have never lived here or visited here) sometimes parts (or all, I guess) of the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, and West Virginia are considered Midwest. I say, foo to that since in Missouri they HAVE SOUTHERN ACCENTS, but that's just my inner midwestern snobbery.

    So, UB, I am sorry to say, but Oklahoma is never in even the most generous definition of midwest. But it's still a lovely place. Hi, Garth!!

    ReplyDelete