Monday, July 20, 2026

In Which My Small Town Auditions for Stars Hollow (and a Bookish Giveaway!)

I fear my Gilmore Girls reference may be too dated? Stars Hollow is the fictional town where Lorelei and Rory Gilmore live in Gilmore Girls, just to be clear. 

This past weekend my town hosted a Grown Up Book Fair event that involved roughly a dozen locations in walkable distance downtown. It was organized by a woman who owns one of our three coffee shops in town (I mean, four if you count Dunkin', but I'm not counting Dunkin', sorry) and hats off to her because this event was HOPPING. 

How much of this schedule did I participate in? As much as possible, I tell you. I don't know why I'm blocking out the business names except I'm still pretending there's a facade of privacy on this blog and that 90% of my readers don't know my exact address, let alone the incredibly accessible name of my town. 



 
The weekend began with Bookish Pilates for me at the local community center. The air quality was okay on Saturday, so I met up with my friend Gina and we did it! I've never done a Pilates class, so this counts as "try a new fitness class" on my goals list for the year. Woot woot! What makes Pilates bookish? Great question. The playlist was made of songs that were on movies or tv shows based on books. Pretty tangential, but the instructor was quite proud of it, so I feel obligated to share. (Her name is Abby and she is based out of The Place in Oconomowoc. She was great.)


I stopped at the Farmers Market to buy honey, and then I went home and changed clothes because I was a sweaty mess and I gulped down a Gatorade like I had not had water in decades. Then I met up with Anne and we started doing other things!


First up, DIY confetti bookmarks at the library. I thought this was such a genius event! It was a little bit messy and I'm sure they're going to be picking glitter confetti off the floor for the rest of the month, but I am in love with my bookmark. The library was also having its monthly Friends of the Library book sale and the place was hopping. The library isn't open on Sunday, but I saw them back at the fair on Sunday with a booth at the community center.


Then we wandered around the vendors. There were vendors at SO MANY places. I have to admit it made my heart swell to see so many people walking around with tote bags downtown. Parking lots were full, stores were busy hives of activity, and it was like I was living my favorite small town dream. 


Then Anne and I met up with some other folks for book trivia. I want you to know that our team kicked ass even though Sarah and Mark had "other plans."  We were the Octobooks (we sort of panicked when we needed to decide on a name - there were eight of us, so it sort of worked) and we took home first place. Look, it was great and I know I had hyped it up last week, but the hype really did pay off. (I lost a point because I messed up the order of New Moon and Eclipse in the Twilight series and I was almost sort of proud that I just couldn't remember. It didn't seem like anyone else at the table had ANY clue, so at least I had something.)


So, you'd think I'd have done my business at this point, but NO. Gina and I met on Sunday morning and we toured the vendors again and I purchased MOAR things. 


Here are some vendors I super duper am excited about.


Bewitched Between Bindings is a Milwaukee-based company that sells book-inspired candles by genre, author, or character. BUT! I don't want you to think this is just some random scent - she only creates scents if they are described in the book or she has heard from the author directly. I was so fascinated by this woman and kept calling her a creative genius. I suspect I will place a large order with her store around Christmas. 


Sunshine Cookies is a local place that had some very hysterical book-related cookies, but also had some truly divine macarons (I had a salted caramel one). Huge thumbs up. 


There were local authors, people selling Kindle cases, lovely stained glass with book themes, totes, stickers, greeting cards, and all sorts of blind dates with books. There were artists doing bookish flash tattoos. I think Gina might have actually gotten one if they had had any appointments left. 

There was a lady who will DISCOVER YOUR FOUR LETTER READING PERSONALITY. Stephany, are you reading this? You need to get her on your podcast


Friends, it was a great time. The vendors were super friendly and excited to be there. The attendees were polite and patient. There were long lines at some places and everyone was just so chill and happy to be there. If you can get yourself to a grown up book fair, I recommend it!

****************

On to the giveaway. As I was wandering about, I was making purchases. I have two fun collections to share with you.

Collection #1 - The Purple Bookshelf

A heart-shaped bookshelf ornament, stickers, two pens and a highlighter, a lovely bird magnet, some reading tabs, and a notebook all in a purple pencil case. I don't know for sure, but I bet I'll add some merchandise about how awesome my town is, too. 

Collection #2 - The Orange Cat

A glasses wearing cat asleep on a pile of books ornament, stickers, two pens and a highlighter, a lovely bird magnet, some reading tabs, and a notebook all in an orange pencil case. I don't know for sure, but I bet I'll add some merchandise about how awesome my town is, too. 


Do you want a chance to win one of these delightful packages? Fill out the Google form.  Deadline is Wednesday, August 5. I'm happy to ship internationally. I'll probably remind you between now and then. 

****************
Have you been to a grown up book fair? Would you be a good addition to a book trivia team? Do you know the order of the books in Twilight? 

27 comments:

  1. Epic! I would have been there in a heartbeat.

    I have some gaps in my reading, so I wouldn't ace book trivia but I feel like I could carry my weight on a team. I haven't thought about the order of the Twilight books in about 15 years, but yep, I read 'em all AND saw the movies. Thanks for asking, I don't remember the order or the name of the 4th book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no one there was an expert in all categories. What we needed was a television/movie book adaptation person. I think you might have been able to help us out with that.

      The fourth book is Breaking Dawn, I think. I am going to leave that there without Googling.

      Delete
  2. It’s the first that I have heard of such a delightful event.

    We’re in a town. I think we have 2.5 dedicated coffee shops. I am counting the one in the health centre as point 5 since most people probably wouldn’t make it a destination cafe. We have a couple of others that are somewhat more than just coffee, so maybe there are two more point 5s. And two Tims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small town coffee shops are the best, I think. It makes me happy that they're still thriving despite the domination of Starbucks, Dunkin', and Tim Horton's.

      Delete
  3. This looks adorable, and my other plans were not as fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year. I'll book you early next year.

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOD THIS LOOKS AMAZING. Engie! What a fun event! I wish I was there! I would be on that trivia team for sure even though I don't know the Twilight books. I know a lot of weird random stuff though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? My random knowledge of Redwall really paid off and the other members of my team were like ??? Sometimes the random stuff is what it takes at trivia.

      Delete
  5. I'm so so so so so so sad that I wasn't at this book fair with you!!! I would have loved every single thing about it, including the Pilates. And I'm so intrigued by those candles. Reading everyone else's comments... someday we should organize a blogging retreat around an adult book fair. HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year, as soon as they announce it, I'll look into this awesome B&B across the street from me and I bet we could get it for the weekend and people could enjoy the book fair and my delightful town. Hm. I'm not sure I can convince people that getting here is worth it, though. My town isn't exactly a big draw.

      Delete
  6. I'm sending this post to my nephew Jacob who owns a bookstore/cafe/vinyl shop. What an awesome community event! I'd have gone there for at least two days, too! BOOK SWAP! It's all so exciting (and those cookies!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO EXCITING. Last year it was just at one coffee shop and it had like ten booths. This year was exponentially bigger! I am so impressed with how it went down and just want to give all the hearts to the lady who organized it.

      Delete
  7. Patricia7/20/2026

    This sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a highlight of the summer so far for me.

      Delete
  8. mbmom117/20/2026

    What an amazing event! I would have been great on a book trivia team twenty or thirty years ago, but I fear my competitive edge has dulled over time. And I rarely read general fiction. So if it was only about Agatha Chrisie, Greek myths, and Murderbot would I be an asset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some questions about older literature, so I think you could have been a real asset! I don't know anything about old mysteries (outside of Sue Grafton) or Greek myths, so next time I'll invite you to fill in our gaps.

      Delete
  9. This looks like so much fun! I am so glad that it was well attended and there were lines for things! That fills my heart with joy! This does sound like a Stars Hollow kind of weekend (I have to imagine nearly all your readers got that reference???).

    I have been to an adult book fair/event type of thing but it was many years ago. A blogger I knew from Iowa who no longer blogs came to Minneapolis for it and we went together. It was super fun!

    I read a couple of the Twilight books but I would not be able to put them in order. I think I would be pretty good at book trivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a Stars Hollow weekend. I was so impressed with how NICE everyone was. I was even in a pseudo-competition with a woman for the same item and we were just joking with one another about it (she got it in green and I had to settle for red, even though the green did look better).

      I think you would be an excellent addition to book trivia! You're welcome to come next year.

      Delete
  10. This is so cool! Your town is awesome. I wish I lived in a small town for reasons like this. There are over a million people in the county I live in, and 0 coffee shops other than Starbucks and Dunkin near me. I think the rents are just too high for anything other than large chains. There are lots of events around but I never go to anything because I know they'll just be packed and parking will be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! EXACTLY! People keep saying they want a big box store to come to our town, but I really don't. It will put out all our lovely small businesses out of business. I love that this event supported all the small businesses downtown - even those that didn't directly participate saw a boost to their sales.

      Delete
  11. Hey, I'll have you know those "other plans" were legit! We have houseguests coming this week and were in a mad scramble to get things cleaned up/organized/etc. Regardless, it was great to see so many people out and about. Tara had to run an errand Saturday morning, and when she got back, she asked me why so many people were wandering around downtown. I had to break the news to her that there was a grownup book fair happening and we'd kindly been invited to participate in a trivia event but had "other plans." :)

    Congrats on your victory though!

    I'd still count Dunkin' as one of our coffee shops. Truth is, it's the one I hit up way more often than any other...simply because [INSERT BUSINESS NAME HERE] isn't open yet when I'm on my way to work, and the coffee at [INSERT OTHER BUSINESS NAME HERE] tastes a little too floral for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I don't doubt your "other plans." I just think my plans were way more fun! Poor Tara. I should have emailed her instead of you! She might have been swayed to my side.

      Dunkin' is on the wrong side of town for me. I rarely drive by it unless I'm heading to Madison or need to go to the pet store. I should go to the pet store more now that it's under new ownership. The problem with the coffee shops in town is that the L doesn't have a drive through, B&TB always has a line backed up on the street, and C is kind of out of my way, but I should go there more, I guess.

      Delete
  12. This is the most Stars Hollow thing EVER and I absolutely LOVE IT. It looks like SO MUCH fun, especially since you had people to meet up with (Hi Anne!)

    I’m stuck on Stars Hollow though…Rory would come up with the idea, Lorilie would go over the top with it, Miss Patty would have the Pilates and an ‘adult’ table, Kirk would have a golf cart where he gets people from point a to point b, Sookie would have gourmet cookies, Luke would have coffee, Taylor would be running around managing permits and so on. Or maybe Taylor would come up with the idea and Lorelie and Rory would have a booth. Rory would go to the book swap, but would be unwilling to let anything go and would come home with way too many books. Jess might read poetry or he might make out with that blonde chick to make Rory jealous. Mrs. Kim would have a booth full of antique books and bookshelves. I could probably go on…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much friend time this weekend! I really felt so much joy and happiness. Yay!

      The antique people really were involved, so you are not far from the Stars Hollow parallels...

      Delete
  13. This looks like an amazing event! I think next time they do and adult book fair, we should have a Cool Blogger's retreat to visit you.
    I haven't even read the Twilight books.... Gosh - I don't know if I would be a good book trivia person. I have to be honest, a lot of my nerdy book trivia comes from either opera or general cultural literacy, not because I've read the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I'm going to look into a retreat for next year. I'm not sure what else my town has to offer, but I made two days of it easily. Plus, there could be reading.

      I bet your cultural literacy would pay off. There were questions about movie and tv adaptations and our team was not great at those. We could use someone in that gap.

      Delete
  14. Your town's adult book fair sounds wonderful! Every event sounds amazing. Making bookmarks? YES! Audiobook walk? YES! Book swap? YES! Silent reading? YES! Book trivia? YES! And how sweet of you to offer TWO adorable giveaway packages. I have filled out the Google form. I'm so happy that the event was a hit. There are good things in the world!

    ReplyDelete