Friday, August 23, 2024

Photo Every Hour 8/22/2024

This is a terrible format for a blog post on a workday, but here we are. Enjoy the minutiae of my life!

5:32am - Alarm went off and I read in bed for about twenty minutes.

Yes, I'm wearing BGSU sweatpants. Who doesn't?

6:21am - The dog did not want to walk today. Ears up and constant vigilance the whole time.


7:46am - Leaving for work. I am listening to Garth Brooks and it just happens to be The Ring Song. (You know I had it set up to start playing it when I got in, right??)

8:59am - Why do I do this on a work day? I'm at work. 

9:35am - One of my faculty members dropped off open bags of Swedish Fish (candy) for me. Why? These are the mysteries of life. She bought them, realized she shouldn't be eating so much sugar, and handed them off to me. I also should not have that much sugar!

I forgot to take a photo of the 10am hour, so just imagine me sitting at a computer working.

11:59am - An unplugged vending machine just sitting outside our office. Why is it there? No idea, but it was still there an hour later.

12:38pm - I managed to get to the yoga class at the student union during lunch. 

1:05pm - Lunch. 

2:36pm  - The candy bowl in our office. I resisted. I had Swedish Fish, you know? We had a big college retreat thing yesterday (*sigh*) and my boss passed out Lindor chocolate for all us during the retreat. The leftover ones made the candy bowl.

3:26pm - Our major software for registering students is down. This is a RED ALERT. I have been able to help zero students today with course search or selection and we have a last call registration event tomorrow (over 200 students are signed up!) and we are starting to panic. If this isn't up by tomorrow, we have to do this in a very very clunky way and at last count, there were only six people in our college who have the power to individually enroll students and I'm one of them. It was ha ha funny this morning, but is getting less ha ha funny by the hour. This could be a cluster tomorrow (and has been mostly a wasted day) and so basically I allowed myself a reward of my favorite sparkling water. It's the Walgreen's Nice! brand and I'm pretty much obsessed with them, but they are wasteful and bad for Mother Earth and I only allow myself one on stupid days like today.

Nothing in the four o'clock hour because did I mention tomorrow is going to be a cluster. My boss was on a call and kept messaging us orders and it was super stressful and if this software isn't fixed before tomorrow, my whole "I really like my job" stance may change dramatically.

5:07pm - I'm home. Dr. BB is going to take Hannah out for a walk and she's gazing at him adoringly. May everyone find someone in their lives who loves them as much as Hannah loves the person taking her for a walk.

6:51pm - Just look how glorious this cat is. 

6:54pm - And then three minutes later she's on my lap. I love a cuddly kitty. (Two photos in one hour to make up for my earlier lapses.)

7:43pm - We had to go to Menard's for a stopper thingamabob for our bathroom sink. While there, we wandered through the Halloween aisles. (Halloween!)

8:12pm - Finished at the grocery store. 

8:55pm - Last dog walk of the day. (Two in one hour to make up for my lapses earlier in the day.)

9:38pm - I read for a few minutes while Dr. BB was in the shower. Current reads. 

That's a wrap, friends. I'm finishing this at 10:05 and probably should give you a ten o'clock photo, but I'm just going to go to bed. 

*****************

Have you had a work crisis recently? What book(s) are you currently reading?

30 comments:

  1. I took exactly one picture yesterday because I was on campus all day long-- I get it. I am going to try to do some group fitness classes on Mondays and Fridays this semester, and you are my inspo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If you can get the movement piece of life done on campus, it makes the home life part so much easier. But it's not always possible. *sigh*

      Delete
  2. I know that I'm like 6 days late on this, but I just remembered a Garth Brooks song that I love even more than Friends in Low Places - it's Ain't Going Down Till The Sun Comes Up. I sure hope that's by Garth Brooks. It reminds me of being 19 and going dancing with my girlfriends. If this isn't Garth Brooks I am NOT deleting this comment!
    Ugh good luck with the work crisis. I have obviously not had one in a long time, due to not having a job. But in my last spring of teaching at the community centre, they had their HVAC replaced and they would have people banging and fixing DURING my class, which was distracting, but nothing compared to when they finished and it DIDN'T WORK. Spring in Calgary is very very cold and teaching yoga in a big community hall with no heat was extremely unpleasant.
    I am reading "The State of Affairs" which someone recommended to me and, meh, it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, Ain't Going Down Till the Sun Comes Up IS Garth. Good cut!!

      I always think about you when I'm doing yoga at our community center and the AC is Very Loud for about sixty seconds and the yoga instructor stays calm and quiet and I'm all pissy about it. I guess that's why she teaches yoga and I'm taking the class!

      Delete
  3. I am fascinated by the blue raspberry Swedish Fish. WHY???
    I just listened to Funny Story (read by Julia Whelan!!!) - It's my first Emily Henry book - I feel like I've been resisting her because she's been hugely popular, but the premise of this one sounded funny and ... well, Julia Whelan. Right now I'm reading ICTC, of course, and also just started Homegoing.
    I love that you are one of six people who can individually enroll people. That's kind of like a super power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a bag of blue raspberry (not bad), regular red ones, and Swedish Fish and friends. The friends include a turtle and a dolphin and other marine life. I don't know why, friend, but I'm not mad about any of them!

      One of my co-workers and I took a twenty second dance break to that "I've Got the Power" song. And then we got back to work. LOL.

      Delete
  4. I'm wondering how your day is going today- I hope we get an update!
    I finished ICTC (so good!) and am also almost done with another Japanese mystery, and tonight I'll start Winter of the World, hooray!!!
    As always, I love all the Hannah and Zelda photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE how much I influence your reading choices, Jenny. I mean, it's terrifying because what if you don't like them?! But it's so fun that you are reading so many books I've recommended.

      Delete
  5. Oh, gosh. I hope the glitch is fixed and that you are okay. I remember being hand-scheduled at least once in community college.

    I'm currently reading ICTC and--for the umpteenth time--Jane Eyre. I'm rereading the latter because my son and daughter-in-law to be have chosen a passage from it for me to read at their wedding next weekend. I'd like to provide a little context for it before I read it, and I want it to be fresh in my mind.

    Hannah is such a precious dog. Her face is so dear. Zelda is, of course, a queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE GLITCH WAS NOT FIXED!! It was all fine, though. We buckled down, the leadership led, and the rest of us followed orders.

      Nance, you're going to hate me for this, but I have tried to read Jane Eyre so many times and I just hate it so much. (cowers under the table) I'd love for you to give me a sales pitch on it.

      Delete
  6. Not a bad idea, but my day would be too repetitive do it exactly like that. Good luck with the computer problems, and yes, the cat is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, my day at work is pretty repetitive, too. That's why I shouldn't do it on a workday!

      Delete
  7. I love these type of posts, even if you think they're boring on a workday, they give us a great glimpse into your day-to day (minus the software being down, hopefully. That is something you don't want every day).

    And yes, Zelda is a glorious cat. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does give a glimpse into a day and I can see how that would be interesting for other people. It just doesn't seem all the interesting to me! Maybe someday I'll look back on it with some nostalgia.

      Zelda is glorious and she knows it!

      Delete
  8. Now that you mention it, I haven't had an "everything is going to hell" work crisis in a while. I hope everything worked out today.

    I finished ICTC last night! I can't wait for Monday so that we can talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finished with ICTC now, too! I am excited to hear what people think of the ending.

      Delete
  9. Engie, I like how even on a dreary day, there are splashes of color like your lunch or Swedish fish or the impromptu Halloween fest in a Menard's. (And now I have "Save big money at Menard's" in my head! AAAAH!!)

    I hope you frame that picture of you with your cuddly Zelda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day at least has walks with Hannah in it is my motto!

      Delete
  10. The best thing I love about these photo an hour posts is that we get ZELDA PICS. She is just so beautiful and I hope you tell her that every day.

    Last work crisis? My boss leaving the org? *cries* We will be fine but I really loved her and it sucks to lose her. Currently, I'm reading An Island Princess Starts a Scandal by Adriana Herrera and listening to His and Hers by Alice Feeney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda is usually screaming for food when we come down in the morning and I greet her with "good morning, pretty girl." She knows she's the prettiest kitty in the whole wide house.

      Ugh. You're going to be FINE when your boss leaves, Stephany. You got this!

      Delete
  11. I cannot even with Hannah gazing so adoringly at Dr. BB. OMG. And then Zelda? She's stunning. I know work can suck with the software and all of that stupidness, but wow, H and Z are just an amazingly wonderful balm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really our very lucky with our girls and I never take that for granted. They're such adorable little ladies.

      Delete
  12. I have had work crises related to software going down in the past couple of years, not quite of this magnitude, and they suck. Man, I really hope it gets fixed before tomorrow.
    Glorious photo of you and Zelda. Lucy looks like that at anyone taking her for a walk, but she also spins around, dances away when you're trying to get her harness on and mouths your wrist. Little good, little bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha. It didn't get fixed, OF COURSE. But it all worked out fine and I don't think the students were any the wiser.

      Hannah would never mouth anyone! She's much too polite for that. She'll just bite you.

      Delete
  13. This was fun to follow.
    Booh for the software though. Hope it got figured out.

    No real work crises... maybe only that I constantly have to dial down what I am doing because i run out of allowed/paid hours to work. Its stressful when you are just wanting to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I don't have to figure out things like how much time it would take me to do things because I always think "this will just take a few minutes" and then it's two hours later!

      Delete
  14. I'm showing up a little late. Sorry. I was really behind in revising my chapter for tonight's writing group and everything was put on hold until that was complete, which translates to me throwing out a bunch of chicken thighs I never got around to cooking/time lost all meaning/what day is it sort of thing. Anyway, this post made me laugh (ie: the Swedish Fish drop off and for that and other reasons, I do not miss the workplace) and also stressed out. The software hiccup sounds awful. I hope it was sorted out in time. No workplace drama here. So far my tots are behaving and the parents are all full of high praise and thrilled with my services. That's a great way to start off the school year daycare. I AM reading I Capture the Castle- (remember everything put on hold), but was super bummed to arrive to your blog after I felt like I might be nearly caught up and I am miserably behind, STILL. How is everyone else so far past page 50? I'll just have to dial back to the posts about the book as I get there. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I thought the Swedish Fish drop-off was sort of sweet. I don't know. I just like the idea that faculty members think of me, even if it is just to give me their cast-off candy.

      I am only past page 50 of ICTC because of audiobooks. If I had to read books with my own eyes, it would be a lost cause at this point!

      Delete
  15. Blergh. Swedish Fish would have gone straight in the communal pile.
    Hannah and Zelda. <3 Did you ever do the day in the life of each? I thought you did but perhaps not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW DARE YOU? Swedish Fish are WONDERFUL.

      I have not done a day in the life of each, but I think I said I would. I need to be home on a weekend day to document their sleeping spots. Maybe that's a good project for this weekend!

      Delete