Thursday, August 15, 2024

Expiration Dates by Rebecca Serle

Other books by Rebecca Serle:
In Five Years

I don't know how Expiration Dates by Rebecca Serle came on my radar, but I had the audiobook on hold for several months and it came in just as I was about to leave for an eight-hour drive, so I obviously borrowed it! It is narrated by Julia Whelan, who is one of my favorite narrators, so maybe that's why spurred me to read it. 

Daphne's life is pretty normal except for the notes. She regularly gets slips of papers with a man's name on it and the length of time they will date. Three days with Martin in Paris; three months with Hugo, who is now her best friend; one night with a guy in New York. But the slip of paper with Jake's name has no time. Will they be together forever? 

Hm. Ah. Well, let's just say that I've been avoiding writing this review for a while. I listened to the whole thing because I love Julia Whelan, but I am pretty sure I would have DNFed a written version. Chapter 24. Chapter 24 is what did it for me. I don't want to tell you what happened in that chapter, but rest assured that it made the first part of the book appear to be sort of irrelevant. And it became a much different book after that.  

Also, let's be honest. I knew how I wanted the book to turn out and I won't tell if you if it did turn out that way or not, but I sort of didn't care about the ending because even if it didn't end up the way I wanted it to, I knew that that's how I would remember the ending anyway. So. Huh.

There's a dog in the book, so that's a positive.

I don't know how I felt about this. 3/5 stars and now I don't have to think about it anymore. 

Lines of note:

I am reminded every time I go out somewhere I haven't been of how many hidden wonders there are in LA, how much unlikely culture is hiding just out of sight. (timestamp 1:31:43)

There are hidden wonders everywhere. Right, Birchie?!

It's hard to hold on to people the older we get. Life looks different for everyone and you have to keep choosing one another, you have to make a conscious effort to say over and over again you. Not everyone makes that choice. Not everyone can. (timestamp 3:15:09)

Yeah. We meet so many people in our lives, but we can't hold on to everyone. It's a hard reality. 

The truth is hard. It's complicated. It does not always follow a simple structure. It is not always convenient. That's why sometimes we do our best to leave it out of the story for as long as possible. We choose to let it linger in the corners. We don't spotlight it. But eventually it catches up to us. Of course it does. (timestamp 4:02:12)

Huh. Well, Rebecca Serle, way to tell your readers that you're a liar. 

"Here's the thing no one ever tells you in any of these fucking movies we make: love is not enough."(timestamp 5:17:29)

It's true. You can be madly in love with someone and they you, but if the timing/geography/life circumstances aren't just right, it will never work out. 

He loves sunbeams and staring out the window. About once a year I cry about the fact that I'll never know what he looked like as a puppy. (timestamp 6:04:56)

CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE WHAT HANNAH LOOKED LIKE AS A PUPPY? I desperately want someone to de-age her. 

Things I looked up:

...right on top of my dog-eared copy of Jessica Darling. (timestamp 8:36)

The Jessica Darling books are a New York Times bestselling series of five young adult novels by Megan McCafferty, published between 2001 and 2009. Told from the diary-style perspective of character Jessica Darling, the series chronicles her misadventures through high school, college, and beyond. Huh. These came out just as I was graduating from college, so I guess that's how I missed them. (I did not miss Harry Potter, though!)

Hat mentions:

...with a hat to match. (timestamp 1:11:36)

23 comments:

  1. I have heard this mentioned on a number of podcasts but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to give it a miss!
    I wish I had some photos of Rex as a puppy. I guess I could ask his former owner, I'm sure she would send me some, but I feel shy about it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole- I'm begging you- PLEASE ask Rex's former owners for puppy pics! I need to see them!!!

      Delete
    2. Omigosh! P L E A S E!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see Rexie as a puppy too!

      Engie--I'm so intrigued by this book review of yours! But I'm getting an overall sense of "no" from it as well... I might bug you for details when I see you next, so please write down the Ch. 24 thing somewhere so you don't forget!!!

      Delete
    3. Count me in as another person who would love to see Baby Rex. Imagine how big his little paws must have been!

      Delete
  2. WAIT. Now I want to know what happened in chapter 24!!! I'm very curious, but not curious enough to read the entire book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you all the details. And now you don't have to read it. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I too am intrigued, and I'm not going to read the book, so if you want to email me and rant in a spoiler-y way about chapter 24, please do!

    Even more than wishing for kitten pictures of Maggie, I was always dying to have them for the cat prior to her, Carlos. He was a polydactyl, and I would have loved to see the big paws on a wee kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are so crazy because kittens look NOTHING like their adults selves. Baby Zelda doesn't even look like the same species!

      Delete
  4. I do not think I will read this book, so can you tell me what happens in Chapter 24?! And also whether the ending turned out the way you wanted? SPILL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you all the details. But now you can never read the book because I completely spoiled it.

      Delete
  5. This book sounds like the book about the people who got 'strings' that would predict how long they would live. I know it isn't the same, but that open ended thing with dates and maybe this will be the one makes me flash back to that 'strings' book. I did not enjoy the 'strings' book. I cannot remember the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was The Measure by Nikki Erlich, right? I haven't even read the book and I knew what it was from your description. It seems like it's a very polarizing book!

      Delete
  6. Maya cyber stalked the people who sold Mulder via Craigslist in a parking lot (the rescue bought him, which is how we got him) and his puppy pictures are just as adorable as you might imagine. We never had puppy pictures of our dog Genevieve. She used to say to us, "The only thing more adorable than me, is me as a puppy!" Smart girl.

    I read 'In Five Years' and liked it, and I listened to 'One Italian Summer', which was good in a wistful way. It was read by Lauren Graham (Loralie Gilmore from the Gilmore Girls) which didn't hurt. I might give this a try if I couldn't come up with anything else to listen to, but with so many book reviews from my blog friends, I don't see that happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG--My name caught my eye and I thought this was about me, and I was horrified thinking I NEVER did ANY of this, LOL.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I bet you've engaged in your share of internet stalking...

      Delete
  7. Your review is probably better than the actual book! Very intriguing. At least there was a dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog really did save it, to be honest. Otherwise we're probably talking 2-2.5 stars.

      Delete
  8. I read Serle's In Five Years and I loved it for being an unexpected book in a major way, but hated it for being so gimmicky. I haven't read any more of Serle's books because they all seem so gimmicky. But I, too, would stick out listening to a book just for Julia Whelan - FWIW, Whelan narrates the audiobook of The Measure. (Another book that I ended up liking more than I wanted to, partly because of Whelan, partly because there's some seriously manipulative shit going on in it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like Serle is the M. Night Shyamalan of novels. There's always a twist. Once was great, once was hilarious (Signs is a comedy, right?), and then it just became a thing. Whelan is really great, though.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the comprehensive review. I also love Julia Wheelan and have seen this book on my libby a number of times but have been a bit "meh" about it from the description. Thanks for the review/warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia Whelan makes it better! But there's still an unfair plot point.

      Delete
  10. You really did put out a teaser here with chapter 24. I want to know too but then maybe not. I am not sure... Arghhhh. Ive read two of her books and they were ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you want, I can email you the same rant I sent other people all about it and spoil it for you!

      Delete