Tuesday, July 09, 2024

2024 Q3 Goals

If you've been following this blog for long, you know that I like to set annual goals and then I do quarterly check-ins. You can see Q1 and Q2 results. Here are my Q3 goals. Most of these are the same as Q2, but I like to have them all in one place. 

Area 1: Professional

1. Do a networking event on campus at least once a month - I've been good about this so far. I can't let up steam now. 
2. Do another Excel course at a a slightly more advanced level - Rollover goal since I made no progress on it last quarter
3. Maintain fifteen or fewer emails in my work inbox - the rest must be filed appropriately
4. Take off one mental health day for myself as a do nothing day during the quarter
5. Set up my office with plants (and a grow light or two) 

We were working on doing figure eights around the cones. She laid down in protest. It was too much work. When someone asks you what kind of dog you want, don't ever say "stubborn."

Area II: Pets
1. Continue to track the number of times I walk Hannah, as well as the length of the walks
2. Grooming of some sort for Hannah every week (bath, nails, etc.)
3. At least one brief training session for Hannah 70% of the time - This used to be every day, but it's just not realistic for me to do it every day. Some days I am not at home when Hannah gets dinner. I'm also going to be out of town a bit this quarter. 
4. Play with Zelda at least once a week

Can't you play with me at least once a week? I want to play!

Area III: Health
1. Formal exercise of at least 30 minutes or more on 80% of days 
2. Meditate at least three days a week 
3. Go outside for at least 24 minutes a day 

Area IV: Reading
1. Read at least one non-fiction book a month
2. Read at least one book I already own this quarter
3. Keep my reading spreadsheet up to date
4. Read at least one book every month to complete the top fantasy books by women authors list 

Books I own that I want to read. 

Area V: Fun stuff
1. Finish the dress I'm currently sewing and complete at least one more clothing project - Rollover goal. There is a class that I can take that can help me with this. I just need to schedule the class and then go to it. 
2. Go out of Wisconsin at least once (trips to Michigan and Iowa don't count unless I don't see family)
3. Track number of pieces of snail mail sent
4. Do at least one thing outside of my work, household, grocery store, or public library every week
5. Continue tracking expenses

Q3 Fun Stuff
6. Research volunteer opportunities in my town. I feel weird about not being active in my community. Maybe the Humane Society needs someone to walk the dogs or pet cats. I imagine I'd mostly be cleaning kennels, but maybe they'd let me pet a dog or two. 
7. Not necessarily "fun," but work on increasing the percentage I'm putting into savings.
8. I have three photos from my mom's house that I'd like to get framed and displayed in my office. - Rollover goal
9. I'd like to go on a weekend adventure with my husband. Maybe that means taking the dog with us to a pet-friendly hotel. I just want us to do something new.
10. Relatedly, there are several museums in Madison and Milwaukee I want to visit. Visit at least one of the following in the quarter. Bonus points if I go to more than one. 
    National Mustard Museum, but only if I go with Anne.
11. Clean up my RSS feed. I have a lot of blogs on there that I don't really follow. I'd also like to add at three to five new-to-me blogs to my blogroll.  

*******************
All right, friends. What's your biggest goal for the quarter?

26 comments:

  1. As always, I am impressed by your goal organization and tracking. I’d love to Madison museum-go with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. If I plan ahead for museum-ing, I'll see if you can fit it in!

      Delete
    2. Mustard Museum and the Historical Museum are A++++. You don't have to have 1000 types of mustard in the fridge, just a sense of humor. :) Count me in for Madison Museum Day, please.

      Delete
  2. I love reading your goals and I find them so impressive and varied! Sewing a dress! Going to museums! Networking! Meditating! I love it all. I should also clean up my feed, there are a number of inactive blogs on there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many inactive blogs! Sometimes I just hope they'll start randomly posting again, but I don't think that's realistic thinking.

      Delete
  3. Yes, your goals are impressive and varied! I'm starting to feel inferior and lazy. Let's see, my biggest goal for the quarter? I guess to heal up my calf and get some long runs in, to get ready for my race in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your training is a million times more impressive than my piddling goals, especially since I can tell you right now that I'm not going to meet them all, but you will run your race!

      Delete
  4. Is your blogroll on your page, Engie? I couldn't find it...

    Zelda is so pretty in that picture, OMG.

    My biggest goal for this month is to meet my revision deadline, enjoy summer, + prep for Fall.

    I'd love to see the dress you made. And I'd love to see *you* if you come to MI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a blogroll on my blog, but maybe I'll start working on one. It's old skool cool.

      If I am in Michigan, it would be delightful to meet you in person!

      Delete
  5. This is stellar, once again.
    I have no official goals this year, which I'm kinda loving? But I also think I'll be ready to launch back in to Goal Mode for 2025. Part of me misses it, but it was a good year to give myself a break since I tend to get frustrated with myself if I don't complete my goals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to wonder if I should take off goal tracking next year. Will I even work out if I don't report it out? Will Hannah ever get trained? It would be an interesting experiment.

      Delete
  6. Sigh I now consider my WI trip to be a failure since I coulda gone to the Mustard Museum but I didn't...it's literally next door to the place where we had dinner.

    I'm pushing my husband to take a weekend off for an away-from-home trip, so of course I want this for you as well. Our dog is still a little young to be a good house guest so we wouldn't take her, but once she grows up it would be really fun to take her somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really should have gone to the Mustard Museum. That was silly that we didn't.

      Delete
  7. Oooh! I'm really curious as to how Hannah would like a hotel!
    I think my goals for July are a) not to melt from the heat, and b) survive my commute since I'll be starting a contract that requires me to drive on the beltway. Also maybe hug my husband and children once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love the idea that you have "hug family" on a checklist and you're just going through the motions. I mean, I suppose you fake it until you make it meaningful, right?

      Delete
  8. I need to do this: "Do at least one thing outside of my work, household, grocery store, or public library every week." Tell me how you are going to approach that. A park? A movie? Does a friend's house count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is a great question. A friend's house does count - it's actually a really great way of accomplishing this goal. I have counted the dog park for this goal because I have to interact with other people there (other people to discuss if our dogs are playing appropriately together, etc.) A movie would count, but I haven't seen a movie since pre-COVID, so it's unlikely for me to use it.

      This became a goal because I was really struggling to reintegrate after COVID. I have counted going to the community center, going to a fitness class, going to the Farmer's Market, and going to museums and outdoor concerts. On the rare times I have gone to a restaurant, I've counted that. This will probably fall off my goal list in 2025 because I am now pretty much at the same level of socialization outside my house as I was before COVID, but it's fun to track my "weekly adventures" in my goal journal right and see how much it has changed since 2022 when I'd really struggle and end up putting things like "wen to the post office to buy stamps" on the list even though it wasn't really in the spirit of the thing.

      Delete
  9. You impress me with your ability to be so specific about your goals. I understand them all and am especially entertained by the Fun Stuff disclaimer: "trips to Michigan and Iowa don't count unless I don't see family." This I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family trips aren't fun. Sheesh. That sounds harsh.

      Delete
  10. I loved the National Mustard Museum! Which should come as no surprise if you look inside my refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have one type of mustard in our fridge. I think the Mustard Museum might be lost on me, but we'll see.

      Delete
  11. You have so many great goals here - I love the fun stuff section. It's important to have challenging, life-improvement goals but also to have FUN GOALS to try and accomplish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I've been thinking about those photos and what frames to use to put them on my office wall. I'm doing it!

      Delete
  12. It's funny and a little nesting-dollish that you're tracking your success at tracking Hannah's walks. As always, I'm amazed at how methodical you are about this. I feel like your brain is a scrupulously-neat and colour-coded filing cabinet and mine is a desk that looks like a mini-bomb went off on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, goals, I should have some. Short-term goals: get photos printed and framed for a gift for the friends who had us to their cottage. Go on a bookstore and ice cream date with Eve. We cleaned up the backyard - weeded, pulled out the overgrown herb garden, moved out the old fence wood, re-sanded the patio - this weekend, which feels amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a total list maker but I do not usually write goal lists, so I am super-impressed with all you guys who have quarterly lists (maybe I should give this a try one of these days)... but one goal I should on my list is cleaning up my RSS Feed, so I have a chance of staying on top of my Feedly. Sigh. It's an ongoing challenge.... probably because I am subscribed to TOO MANY blogs.

    What kind of Excel stuff are you trying to learn (it's a bottomless pit LOL) and I'd love to see the dress you're sewing when you're done.

    ReplyDelete