Friday, March 22, 2024

A Day in Photos, Thursday 3/21/2024

I'm back with a photo every hour!

5:52am - I just finished reading for twenty minutes in front of my SAD lamp. I'm reading Payback in Death (In Death #57) by JD Robb. Number 57!!! And I still had to wait weeks for the hold to come in at the library. It's a popular series for a reason, I guess. 

6:21am - Hannah and I are on our morning walk. It is pitch black outside and neither one of us is happy about it. 

"Hannah, look at me."
Hannah: Did you hear that? It's a noise! Over there! Could be a killer! Why don't you go look?
"Hannah, it's just a duck."
Hannah: It's probably a MURDERER. 


7:34am - Brushing teeth and putting on makeup. We put our initials on our toothbrush heads because otherwise we might accidentally use the other person's. This wouldn't be the end of the world, but my prescription toothpaste is not labeled gluten-free, so it could potentially make Dr. BB ill. This is much less important now that we each have a separate toothbrush, but better safe than sorry.


8:10am - I manage to turn on my computer and open up my email and WebEx. I am working from home today for reasons that will become clear soon. I rarely work from home, so it's been exciting to have such a luxurious start to the day.


9:41am  - The girls are sleeping in the mudroom. The perks of working from home are real. Note that Zelda is in Hannah's kennel. Poor Hannah.


10:49am - I went to a visitation for a funeral for the parent of someone I worked with closely at the community center. This is the main reason I'm working from home today. Then I did some errands and one of those errands meant going by a company that sells pork products and I took a photo of their mascot, this adorable pig.

If you are a new reader, you may not know this, but I adore pigs and I haven't eaten pork since I was a teenager outside of an awkward dinner party focused on pork products where I politely took a bite or two of a pork chop and nearly died of horror. 


BONUS PHOTO - There's even a pig keychain on my car key. It used to have the name of this very pork product selling company on it, but that lettering wore off years ago.  Pigs! So adorable and smart and have any of you watched the League of Pigs on YouTube? League of Pigs is also an excellent Instagram follow.

This is larger than real life. It's the size of two Rolos stacked together.

11:02am - Hey, why don't I show you what I wore to this visitation? I took this afterwards on the property of the pork product selling company. 


Boots: Redwing Heritage Collection - These are too narrow, so I can't wear them very long, but they are adorable. 
Tights: Hue - It was quite chilly today, so I wore these tights. If it had been a bit warmer, I would just wear fishnets.
Dress: NOOWORKS from eight to ten years ago. I have worn this dress to many a funeral.
Cardigan: Salaam Clothing 
Necklace: Present from my husband
Coat: Hand-me-down from my SIL
Hat: It's the Craft hat. It's always the Craft hat. (Note: I did not put the hat on until after the visitation had been completed.)

12:15pm - I had to put away all the things I purchased while out and about: Easter cards, some photos I'm taking to my office, rice we need for dinner (we usually buy rice at Costco, but we just ran out!), a book from the library, and a treat from Dunkin' I bought after the visitation because I needed comfort food.


1:47pm - Afternoon walk with Hannah. She's a true stick addict.


2:47pm - This is the view when I look down from my chair while I'm working.


3:44pm - A Caroline Girvan video. Leg day. So many lunges.


4:30pm - I am yet again trying to find a decent pair of earbuds that will fit me and has a decent battery life, so I have ordered two pairs and have spent about a week with each trying to see if either one will work. Today I'm trying Jabra Elite 4s. 


5:42pm - Am reading a book while my husband makes our dinner, Zelda is screaming at him for her dinner, and Hannah is ignoring all of us.



6:04pm - Training with Hannah. For the first half of training, we practiced walking, turning, and having me touch her. The second half of the training, we focused on things on the overturned rubber feed bucket. First I had her go to it, put one front paw at a time on it (she's still learning right and left, so this was not 100% successful), then put both front paws on it and walk around CW and CCW. Then she had to stay on it (what you see below). Then I called her to come and we practiced her returning to "place" (the feed bucket) from various distances (she's good when she's close to the bucket, but not great if we get more than about six feet away).  We're both learning!


7:29pm - It is our regular grocery store run night. We're expecting a few inches of snow overnight, so everyone in the county was at the store. Meanwhile, this 4-pack of Clearly Canadian water is selling for $9.49. Once you add in tax, you are paying ten American dollars for this! Now, Clearly Canadian is delicious, but this is a warehouse grocery store, not someplace you would expect the future King of England to be shopping. (Where is Kate?!)


8:35pm - Last walk with Hannah. 


9:09pm - Filled out my goal tracking journal.  Up next: shower and bed. I'm hoping to be in bed with lights out by 10:15.  

BONUS PHOTO:


9:16pm - Zelda settling in for the night. This is mostly because I don't think Zelda got enough face time in this post. 

********************

What's your favorite animal? Do you have a go-to donut type? Would you spend $10 on a four-pack of sparkling water?

40 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT OUTFIT!!! It is so cute and stylish, and looks so great on you. I love it so much!!
    I also love these kinds of posts and I have been meaning to do one of my own sometime. You have inspired me! Maybe soon.
    Rex is also a stick addict. Right now the vines around our house are being pruned, so there are piles of prunings everywhere, and his complete joy at having so many sticks at his disposal...well, he frolics around and jumps into them and then chooses a stick and runs with it, destroys it, comes back for another. It's so cute. So obviously yes, I have a favourite animal! I also have a favourite non-domestic animal, and that is an elephant, followed closely by a giraffe. My younger son J used to be OBSESSED with hippos, which I love.
    I don't like doughnuts generally - I mean, I would eat them if that was all that was available, but I don't really like them. As for $10, well, I did just get back from Vegas and everything is so expensive there that that seems like a good deal! Lol. No, in real life I would not spend that kind of money on sparkling water. I haven't had Clearly Canadian in an age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rex and Hannah would be friends for sure. We've had quite a windy spring so far and once the snow melts again, all the sticks will be uncovered and we'll be unable to go further than half a block without having to stop to chew a stick (she'll chew a stick - I'll watch indulgently). She is SO SERIOUS about her stick destruction.

      Yeah, I guess I don't LOVE donuts, but I also got a giant decaf americano when I was there, so the donut seemed appropriate. There are a lot of other sweet baked goods I'd choose over a donut.

      Delete
  2. I would not spend $10 on a 4-pack of water; I generally buy mine from Costco and I think they run about $0.50 each if not less; I don't really care what brand most of the time, so will happily buy the Kirkland one.

    I have the Jabra earbuds and I love them. Mine are the Elite 75t and I have had them for about four years and they are starting to give me a couple of small issues like the left ear does not play as loud as the right, but they still last about five hours if I am using them continuously (which I do a lot due to long bike rides etc.) and I may even squeeze six hours out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we get ours from Costco, too. I actually get Waterloo instead of Kirkland because the Kirkland flavors are not to my taste (read: I think the Lime is repulsive). Unfortunately, we're currently out of fizzy water, so I was looking to see if I should buy some and was blown away by the price of Clearly Canadian. Who is buying that?!

      I am sending the Jabras back, I think. It keeps falling out of my left ear, which is a big problem for so many earbuds. *sigh* I don't know what I am going to do. I like the wireless earbuds, but they do not fit me well.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Glad we got the bonus pic of Zelda.
    Favorite animal... honestly, it makes me sad to think of eating any of them! Pigs are great! So are cows... etc. But favorite... i might have to say cat. Although, I'm very impressed with Hannah in this post! She's so beautiful! And such a good girl. Honestly I've never wanted a dog as a pet, but I feel like if all the internet dogs I know (Hannah, Rex, Charlie and Doggo) wanted to come live at my house, I would love it! So maybe I really am a dog person.
    Anyway, I always love these glimpses into everyday life. Oh and just seeing that CG workout fills me with a sense of dread- her leg days are HARD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you with that bonus picture, Jenny. I knew Zelda was getting left behind with all those dog walk photos.

      All of CG's workouts are hard. I guess that's why we do them?

      Delete
  4. I would not spend that much on bottled water!

    But here's the important thought: Your outfit is so perfectly styled! The cardigan tie and how it matched your tights are just perfect details!

    Do you not eat pork because of "Babe?" I showed that movie to my kids once, hoping to stem their rising appetite for bacon... (it didn't work in their case.)

    Hannah and Zelda 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS because of Babe!!! I have watched that movie eighty billion times and between that and Charlotte's Web, I decided that pork was not for me. Plus the smell of cooking ham and bacon has literally made me sick before. I wrote every single one of my papers in my freshman English comp classes on Babe and different aspects of it - the use of anthropomorphism, racism, rural versus urban divide, etc. I am so amused that you figured this out!

      Delete
  5. The price of that water is abusive. DO NOT BUY IT.

    My favourite animal of all time is a cow. I've discussed it ad nauseum over at the Dept. It's not uncommon for all manner of people to tell me, "Whenever I see a cow, I think of you," and I don't even get offended or upset about it.

    I'm so impressed by your dedication to not only Hannah's training, but your own as well. Kudos to you. If only you could train Zelda to let Hannah have access to her own kennel LOL.

    Love all the photos. As always, I am taken with Hannah's gentility and elegance of demeanour. She looks as if she were too sophisticated to bark or use the outdoors for her business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no way I was going to buy it! It's extortion!!

      For years Zelda did not go into Hannah's kennel. I think it's bizarre that one day she went in there, the dog gave her no consequences, and now Zelda thinks it's hers. I do not if I know any other dogs that would let a cat have their space like that!

      Ha ha!! Hannah is a brute. Zelda is the sophisticated one!

      Delete
  6. Aw yiss grocery store date night! IF you really love that water, you're allowed to buy it. If it's more on the meh side, then you can feel good about skipping it. I don't drink sparkling water, but if it was a 4 pack of a really good beer, I would treat myself.

    WHF is such a joy when you have pets - for both them and you.

    I need to get off my butt and get my trip post written. I already thought of you because there is a bison statue, but it just so happens that there was a pig statue as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never going to buy the water. I was in the water aisle checking to see if I should buy some Waterloo to get me through until our next Costco trip and I was SHOCKED by this price. What is even happening? Who is buying that?

      Working from home is a joy for the girls, but I honestly don't get anything done. LOL. Not my most prolific time, I'll be honest. I would much rather walk Hannah than do work!

      Oh, I hope I get to see the bison AND pig statues!! It's an NGS trip all the way through!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love those tights! And, the purple pig keychain! When I think about animals, my favorite to hang with are dogs and the ones I tend to feel a kinship with are skittish birds or cats falling off of things. My favorite donuts are either a really good plain one or a maple glazed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats falling off things!! It's so funny! We love it when Zelda attempts a jump and misses because she always acts like that is what she intended to do all along, but we know better.

      I agree that simple donuts are the best.

      Delete
  8. Fun idea for a post. Glad we got to see Zelda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda would murder me in my sleep if I didn't include her.

      Delete
  9. Those tights are amazing. Like...amazing.
    I like old-fashioned sugar doughnuts better than any other kind. I'm a plain kinda gal.
    I wouldn't spend that on sparkling water, but if it's delicious - like Birchie said above - and you want it - 'treat yoself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't want it! I would NEVER spend that much. But I was in the carbonated water aisle and was shocked by the prices.

      When I do long road trips, I treat myself to grapefruit Perrier. It's pricey, but makes me happy when I'm trying not to fall asleep while driving.

      Delete
  10. Hello, Zelda, you are gorgeous! This type of post is such fun. I like a Boston creme donut once in a while, though I also love the powdered cinnamon ones, which are a little harder to find. And I wouldn't buy that water, but I don't like sparkling water, so it isn't just the price that deters me. If you crave it, I say buy it! Unless the high price ruins it for you, which I would understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston cream is my usual first choice, but I got a jelly donut this time. Classics!

      Delete
  11. I used to love pigs!!!! I have so many things of Pig, staff toys, status, erasers, etc. They are so cute. Now my favorite animal is cats! hubby and I will text each other photos/videos of funny cats all day long. it's our family hobbie!
    I can rarely focus when working from home. I can do emails and calls, but can't focus to produce something. pandemic era is behind me, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do not get much done when I work from home and that's why I tend to go into the office most days. I did like being able to walk the dog after lunch though - that was a lovely perk.

      Delete
  12. That outfit is really great. However the occasion not so much.

    Its been a while since I had some doughnuts so I couldn't tell you which my favorite is.

    My favorite animal of all times are tortoises. Such amazing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a sad occasion. I always feel so terrible for the family because there's nothing really to say that would be comforting.

      Tortoises! They live so long! I honestly don't know anything else about them. What makes them so amazing?

      Delete
    2. I think I got smitten when I was 5 years old when i met a pet tortoise. Ever since I am fascinated. I think they all have a very characteristic face if you look closely. Also they have been around for ever. They've seen it all and they will survive us. I can sit and watch them forever.

      Delete
    3. It is insane to think about what they have seen, isn't it?

      Delete
  13. I feel almost guilty for how much I love your outfit when it was for a visitation. But damn, awesome outfit.
    I prefer yeast doughnuts over cake - fortunately the good doughnut place is far away so I don't go there often.
    I hope you like Killers of a Certain Age more than I did - I was quite bitterly disappointed, given how cool it sounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it's an outfit I don't have to think about - I just wear it to sad/serious events.

      I don't know that I know the difference between years/cake doughnuts. Maybe I should do research!

      Delete
  14. Zelda is such a stunner! Love your visitation outfit. Great colors! And happy Hannah training. One day at a time, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah used to be much better at training, but as she's gotten older, she gets more and more stubborn. It's lots of me laughing at her refusing to do things I know she can do because she doesn't want to. But, hey, you do what you can with stubborn dogs (and people!).

      Delete
  15. Zelda appears to be the queen of the household! But I can see why - she does look quite regal, especially in that last photo. I love your visitation outfit!

    I don't really have a favorite animal but if I had to pick one, I think I'd pick a penguin. I've learned so many facts about then thanks to Paul watching Wild Kratts!

    $10 seems steep for a 4-pack of sparkling water! I don't think I have ever had clearly canadian but I am also not a sparkling water person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda is firmly in charge of the house. Everybody else would do anything for her.

      $10 for a 4-pack is INSANE. I honestly don't know who is paying that!!!

      Delete
  16. Have you tried those wireless earbuds that go on, like, the outside of your ear? Bone conduction or something like that? I also have the problem with earbuds falling out of my ear. I have AirPods now, but had to buy special ear tips that have some sort of mechanism inside them that keeps them in my ear. (The tips were, like, $10 or something - nothing fancy)

    I will take ALL of the Zelda pics. She is such a beautiful girl.

    Have you talked about your goal journal? I know at one point you were looking for the perfect one! TELL ME MORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I really want my earbuds to have noise cancellation. I am super sensitive to sounds and when we go places that are really loud, I like to be able to push a button and make them go away and one of the major disadvantages of the bone conduction earbuds is that they don't have that feature.

      Oh, this is just a journal I had in my house and I needed on on the first of January, so I use it. It's not 100% perfect, but it gets the job done. I'll write a post about it sometime next month (thanks for the idea!) when I'm doing my quarterly goal updates.

      Delete
  17. I loved having a little peak into your day, thank you. I love your outfit, very stylish but also fun! The bonus photo looks like it should be on the front of a card. My favourite animal would have to be dogs—if I said anything else I'd hurt Riley's feelings. As for donuts, there used to be this french cafe near where we often run that had cream brulee donuts. The filling was a rich, custard with the top coated in a toffee just like a creme brulee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I spent far too long trying to get the cat to look directly at the camera before deciding that photo was just good enough. I'm glad everyone seems to appreciate Zelda's royal nature.

      Oh, boy. I want one of those donuts now!!

      Delete
  18. Goodness, Hannah is getting some amazing training! What a smartie she is! My favorite animals are horses, though dogs are RIGHT UP THERE. I love donuts, and I have several favorites.
    1. Plain cake donut. Excellent.
    2. Glazed donut. Yummy!
    3. Boston cream. SO good.
    4. Maple Bar (with or without custard filling) Perfection.
    5. Chocolate donut (could be a chocolate cake donut with chocolate frosting, could be a glazed with chocolate frosting, I'm good either way.) Superb.
    6. Apple Fritter. Boy, I have to be HUNGRY to eat one of these, but they're great to share.

    Having said all of that, my most often choice would be a plain glazed donut. There used to be a chain, Winchell's donuts, around here, and I loved them. They are still open in SoCal, but not up here. HOWEVER, the little mom and pop that replaced them still uses their recipes, so they taste the same. I don't know when the last time I had one was, but I think it's been a couple of years. I walk by it all the time, and think, 'should I?' and sadly, the answer is usually, 'no, you should not.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So many opinions on donuts! I am impressed with the depth of your donut knowledge!

      Delete
  19. Hannah and Zelda, plus the visitation outfit, are the stars of this post. The pig statue is a close fourth. :)
    Donuts? NEVER a yeasted or filled donut. Cake all the way, preferably chocolate with a (clear) glaze (note: not chocolate frosting, ick) or an old fashioned with no sugar coating. The NY Times just published a chocolate donut muffin recipe that is calling my name. I may have to halve it - I am just one person, after all - but it rang true for me as an excellent non-donut option that is pretty darn close to one of my favorites. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to lie to all you donut experts. I don't even know the difference between a cake donut and a yeasty one. *shrug* Sweet bread is sweet bread, you know? (Obviously you disagree with me on this! That's great! More random donuts for me to eat!)

      Delete