Wednesday, January 03, 2024

December 2023 Accountability Buddy

Like most everybody else, December was a crazy month for me. I did my best and am quite pleased with how it turned out, even though there were some days when I decided a nap was better than a workout.

Friday, December 1
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime*
38-minute total body video - Working out on a Friday after work is the absolute worst. This felt like eight hours.

Saturday, December 2
25-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 5)
15-minute yoga video

Sunday, December 3
38 minute total body video - I thought the first round was not that hard and then by the end of the workout, I was sweaty and out of breath. Ha on me. 

Monday, December 4
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
30-minute tabata video (oof! sweaty! - the lady's left leg in this video is quite a bit more muscular than the right and I found it irresistible not to keep looking at it!)

Tuesday, December 5
30-minute yoga video (I started at my office at lunchtime, but I ended up finishing it at home after work)

Wednesday, December 6
45-minute body blast class (in-person)
45-minute yoga class (in-person)

Thursday, December 7
Day off

Friday, December 8
35-minute total body video 

Saturday, December 9
30-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 6)

Sunday, December 10
Unplanned day off. I was just so exhausted. I prioritized napping.

Monday, December 11
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
30-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 7)

Tuesday, December 12
35-minute tabata video 

Wednesday, December 13
45-minute body blast class (in-person)
45-minute yoga class (in-person)

Thursday, December 14
Day off

Friday, December 15
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
15-minute standing yoga video in my office at lunchtime
15-minute seated desk stretches in my office in the afternoon

Saturday, December 16
30-minute tabata video

Sunday, December 17
35-minute cardio & strength video

Monday, December 18
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
35-minute HIIT (no jumping) video

Tuesday, December 19
30-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 8)

Wednesday, December 20
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
45-minute body blast class (in-person)

Thursday, December 21
Day off

Friday, December 22
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime

Saturday, December 23
30-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 9)

Sunday, December 24
35-minute cardio and strength video

Monday, December 25
Day off

Tuesday, December 26
20-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 10)
10-minutes yoga for tight and sore legs - I can't stress enough how much I hate being in a car all day. LOL. I needed this after yesterday's back and forth to Christmas festivities. 

Wednesday, December 27
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
45-minute body blast class (in-person)

Thursday, December 28
Day off

Friday, December 29
15-minute stretch class at lunchtime
35-minute full body workout - For logistical reasons, taking Thursdays as a rest day makes sense at this point in my life. That does mean that I need to exercise on Fridays and that's a real challenge, I'm learning. I don't know how to fix this, but it is a problem. 

Saturday, December 30
20-minute Yoga with Adriene (Breath - day 11)
10-minute moving meditation

Sunday, December 31
30-minute cardio with Sydney

Totals:
24/31 (77.4%) days of working out for 30 minutes or more
15 days strength/cardio
11 days yoga
9 15-minute stretch classes at lunch time

****************
*Our local healthcare group does free 15-minute stretch classes via Zoom three times a week. Come join us! It's free! It's fun! We talk about food in the chat almost every time! You don't ever have to be on camera. You have to register, but there's no cost. 

****************
Were you able to hit your fitness goals in December?

18 comments:

  1. I had zero fitness goals in December and that was very apparent. I did like 60 km of walking (combo of outside and inside) and a couple of short runs and that was it. But I feel energized with my new routine. Onward and upward in 2024.

    As always, just wow. You do such an amazing job with daily fitness (and of course so much walking with Hannah!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I feel terrible that I can't get 45 - 60 minute workouts in, but I honestly don't know where I would find the time because I'm doing all this IN ADDITION to an 1-1.5 hours outside with the dog every day.

      I think walking and getting outside is 100% superior to formal workouts. It's working your immune system! Count it all!

      Delete
  2. I feel happy in my body right now--having the last three weeks off work meant I got to walk outside nearly every day! I go back to work tomorrow... whom, whomp. I would feel better if I could build 15-20 minute yoga/pilates/barre into my work mornings. Taking your log as inspo, Engie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad it inspired you. I feel very lucky to have a dog to get me outside every day! What would we do without our fur friends?!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Elisabeth- you did great! I think working out in the afternoon on any day is hard- I almost always get it done in the morning because I just don't want to after work. I'm also a big fan of naps, so I'd rather get up earlier, do my workout, and still have time for a short nap after work. I'm sure that wouldn't work for some people, but for me it's the perfect schedule.
    Oh, i also hate sitting in the car all day! I get SO stiff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot convince myself to get up in the morning any earlier than I already do, so it has to be after work. That makes it a tight connection (get home --> walk dog --> workout --> make dinner), but it has to be done! I admire people who workout in the morning, but I cannot be one of those people.

      I honestly hate all things where I have to sit all day. I'm up and down in my office so often I'm like a ping pong ball. My hip gets so balky when I set for a long time!

      Delete
  4. Sitting in a car all day is ROUGH.

    And working out on Friday night is also rough, but sigh if that's the slot that you have, then that's the slot that you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I just have to grit my teeth and do the workouts on Fridays.

      Delete
  5. This is a great month, especially for December! I'm happy to be back to doing my yoga with adriene videos (I do her January 30 days of yoga challenge every year) and already loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yoga with Adriene is such a great resource for the world.

      Delete
  6. You are a rockstar, Engie! Way to hit December out of the park!

    I did not have fitness goals for December, but I did manage to bork my back during a strength workout last weekend. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I hate it when I mess things up strength training. There's no one to blame but myself! Gentle stretches and yoga! Stretch it out!

      Delete
  7. Keeping it up, lady. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take so much inspiration from you, San. If you can work out for HOURS a day, I can fit in half an hour, right?

      Delete
  8. Wait wait wait - are you WORKING on the days that you are doing 2 in person 45 minute workouts? Did I read that wrong? (Nope, I didn't, it's a Wednesday.) How are you DOING that? Go, you, for real, but also, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, I have a great partner! On days I'm off faffing about at fitness classes, he's walking the dog, feeding the girls, and preparing dinner (most of the time it's reheating leftovers, but it's still ready when I get home!). It also means I leave work half an hour early. They have changed the schedule so that they're not both offered on the same night (one is on Tuesday, one is on Wednesday), but I can't leave my husband to do all the things two nights in a row, so now I'm just doing one of these classes every week. It's possible - it just means I'm not doing anything else, but prioritizing exercise.

      Delete
  9. Those stretch classes sound really cool. My former client had that during Covid and I really liked them. Maybe I will sign up. I am still recovering from Covid and you are not supposed to do sports for three weeks. Since I don't want to get long covid I might take it easy in February and just g for walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign up for the February classes and try it! I definitely don't get out of breath or anything doing stretch classes and those 15-minute classes add up by the end of the year.

      Delete