Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King

 


Ask the Passengers is A.S. King's 2012 tale of a young woman struggling with her sexual identity in small town America. Astrid has a secret relationship with a girl at work, is watching two of her best friends hide their own sexuality, and has a complicated relationship with her family. She spends hours laying on a picnic table, watching planes, and sending her love to passengers on those planes.

I like that the characters in this book are complex. There's no person here who isn't just doing what they can to get through life. I like that Astrid's relationships with her friends and family members ebb and flow as different events unfold. I like it all.

But I have got to learn that YA is not my thing. It's just not. Teenage problems are so small and they are so big in the minds of teenagers. Yes, I was like this, too! I'm not saying that at all. I think this is perfect for a teen audience. But it's not perfect for An Old audience. 3/5 stars

Line of note:
I'm exhausted by them. I'm exhausted by me. I'm exhausted by having to be me, with them. (page 204)
Ha ha ha for DAYS. Don't we all feel this way a lot of the time?

Hat mentions: 
I put on a sweatshirt and my coat and my gloves, a hat and a scarf, and I got to my table and lie down. (page 132-133)

I decide I need to have a chat with my passengers because everything is different now, so I put on my coat and scarf and hat and grab the wool blanket off the back of the couch. (page 280)

7 comments:

  1. Yes, that's true- teenage problems are so big in the minds of teenagers, but as adults it's hard to get that invested in them. We know what REAL problems are (not that their problems aren't real... but you know what I mean.) Otherwise this book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure this is an awesome book for teens who are struggling with fitting in/sexual identity, but I just kept thinking how temporary all the problems were (once she graduates from high school, she can do whatever she wants!). That's probably not a very teenage way of thinking, though. Two years seems like a LONG time to teens.

      Delete
  2. I can feel my back getting up slightly at calling teenage problems regarding gender identity small - I think some of them are huge, actually, more than a lot of things I've had to struggle with as an adult. I read another book by this author, I think, and it had some kind of magical realism or sci fi element. Oh- Glory O'Brien's History of the Future. I think I quite liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough that gender identity is not a small problem - maybe especially considering that this book was published more than a decade ago. I think it is mostly just that the parents would be supportive in this case. The character didn't seemed worried about their physical safety or anything and I was just...a bit frustrated that they didn't have perspective that they only had two more years of high school left and then they could do whatever they wanted to. BUT! Of course teens don't have perspective. It's just my own issues with YA books coming through, I guess.

      I think King writes a lot of weird books with magical realism/horror bits. I am not sure I'll dip my toes back into this well, though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, NGS--sounds like a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see it being very helpful for certain readers.

      Delete
  4. I feel you. Some YA is a bit overly dramatic. But every one in a while it is really good.

    ReplyDelete