Saturday, July 29, 2023

9.29 Song - About Cats

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-ninth day of the month is "Song."

****************

Last month for the song prompt, I put together a list of songs about dogs - songs with dogs as central characters. Jenny said that there weren't enough songs about cats and at first I agreed with her, but the more I looked into it, the more I realized that it was a lot easier to find cat songs than dog songs. I found this odd, but there you go. I think more things rhyme with cat than dog. 

There are a lot of songs in which the "kitty" is a stand-in for...something else. I am not interested in those songs. The cat must be a major character! Here's the link to the Spotify list I made. 


"The Cat Came Back" - This one has been recorded by a million artists, but I have The Laurie Berkner Band on my playlist because there are no children singing. Ha. 

"Look What the Cat Dragged In" by Poison - Is it shameful that this is the first song that I thought about when I was thinking about cat songs? I am a girl who will reference Skid Row, Poison, Warrant, or Bon Jovi whenever it is appropriate and frequently when it isn't. Hair metal forever. 

"My Cat's Name is Maceo" by Jane's Addiction - Apparently Maceo was the lead singer's cat. 

"Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" from the Aristocats - I 100% would not mind being my cat. There's a child singing in this song, though.

"Stray Cat Strut" by Stray Cats - I mean, it's a stretch to say if this song is really about a cat, but the song really does keep to the metaphor through the entire thing.

"Leave My Kitten Alone" by The Beatles - Like, did you even know this song existed?

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens - Big cats count, right?

"Smelly Cat" by Lisa Kudrow (Friends) - The number of times we sing this to Zelda is really ridiculous. What are they feeding you?

"Kitty" by Presidents of the United States - I mean, this is the 90s in a nutshell, isn't it?

"Cleopatra's Cat" by Spin Doctors - I didn't know there were Spin Doctors songs except for "Two Princes" and "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong," but here we are!

"Honky Cat" - This is originally by Elton John, but I have a Lee Ann Womack version linked in my Spotify list because it's less...noisy. 

"Cat's in the Well" by Bob Dylan - What is this song even about? I don't know. 

"Like a Cat" by Cyndi Lauper - This sort of violates my rule because it's not really about a cat, but about a woman standing up for herself. I can't resist adding Cyndi Lauper to every playlist. 

There's also lots of songs from the musical Cats, the movie Aristocats, and various Disney properties, including Lady and the Tramp

UPDATE:

There are some great songs I didn't include because the main character isn't a cat, but I think should get a special shoutout.

"Cat's in the Cradle" - Originally done by Harry Chapin, but I added the Ugly Kid Joe version to Spotify because sometimes the cover is better than the original. Don't be mad. You know it's true.

"You Know Me Better Than That" by George Strait - The classic line "She tells her friends I'm perfect/And that I love that cat/But you know me better than that" makes me laugh every time.

"You'll Think of Me" by Keith Urban - Another guy who doesn't like his girlfriend's cat here. Take your cat and leave my sweater indeed, Mr. Urban.

"You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma" by Lefty Frizzell and Shelly West - There is a line in this song where West sings "I've got a calico cat and a two room flat/On a street in west LA" that I literally SCREAM when it comes on. This might be the country duet I listen to the most, although "I'll Take the Dog" from last month's list might be a close second. 

****************

All right, friends. What songs am I missing from this list?


12 comments:

  1. “Karma is a cat purring in my lap because it loves me” (Taylor uses and pronounces "Karma" wrong, but it's very catchy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know this Taylor song! Added it to the playlist!

      Delete
  2. Zelda looks SO cuddly in that photo.
    And maya, I love that song. The lyrics are so creative and smart considering the popular definition of karma.

    NG--I totally get what you mean about "Honky Cat" by Elton John. I have to be in the mood for that song. The piano really clamours and it just gets rambunctious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda loves her cat tree more than anything in the world.

      Yes! The piano at the end of Elton's "Honky Cat" is really something. It overwhelms me!

      Delete
  3. Haha -- this was a fun (and surprising!) list. I love Smelly Cat so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May it be an earworm in your head for the rest of the day!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I considered this, but it's not really about a cat, is it? I might make an addendum to this post with other great cat mentions in songs.

      Delete
  5. Well, WHO KNEW??? A lot of these I've never heard of, but I of course know Smelly Cat and a handful of others. I did NOT know that Beatles song existed, but now I want to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look, the reason you don't know that Beatles song is because it's not their best work. LOL.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy making music playlists, and this is a great idea! I might have to make this in Spotify and send it to my daughter for grandkittyyyy. 🖤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm. Now I am tempted to check out that country song you love. I've never heard it - to my knowledge - and know that our tastes in other country music align. Also? Cat's in the Cradle is the one that instantly sprang to mind for me. Funny how the mind does that.

    ReplyDelete