Friday, June 09, 2023

8.9 Location - Happy Birthday to Zelda!

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the ninth day of the month is "Location."

****************

We brought home baby Zelda in July of 2011. Her rescuers said her birthday was probably June 7, so that's what's on all her records. She is twelve and gorgeous and ready for action at any moment of the day.

Look at baby fuzzy Zelda! LOOK AT HER!

She was part of a litter of farm cats my friends had rescued and all of her other siblings had been adopted already. Dr. BB and I were about to move from Minneapolis to a place where I wouldn't have a job or friends, so I told my friends that I would take her. I didn't really even ask Dr. BB, except for a brief phone call where I told him that we should call the apartment we were going to be moving to and add on a pet.  

There are relatively few locations where you'll find Zelda Belda today, despite her early life of moving from the farm to the rescuers house to Minneapolis to Winona and then to where we are today. Here are some of the more popular places you'll see her.

1. Her cat tree. Her cat tree is eight feet tall and she uses every inch of it. This was definitely the best cat-related purchase we've ever made.

2. In the dog's bed. I think Zelda sleeps there more than Hannah does.

3. In her own bed. I mean, why restrict yourself to the dog bed, you know? I know it looks like we have shoved her bed into a bookshelf, but it's a very sunny spot in the morning and even when I move the bed away from the bookshelf, she pushes it over there. Look, she's smarter than me and I don't try to fight it.

4. The dog's other bed. I know she's my own cat and I might be biased, but isn't she just the floofiest, flounciest, most badass creature?

5. Staring out windows and doors. She likes to keep track of local wildlife.  Who can blame her?

Cameo by Hannah, who is nearly always watching Zelda closely.

6. Where her meal ticket (AKA Dr. BB) is. Because my husband feeds her and she's a very hungry little lady, she follows him around from room to room.

7. My lap. Sometimes people say that they don't like cats and I'm utterly befuddled. How could you NOT like a cat purring on your lap? How?  They're soft and warm and vibrating and they've chosen you as their person and what could be better?!
Another Hannah cameo. She loves to look out that window while resting her chin on the sill.


To celebrate her birthday today, I will take her photo lots, post her to Facebook and Instagram for her fifteen minutes of fame, and promptly leave her for the weekend to enjoy quality time with Dr. BB.

Do you know the date when your pets were born?

35 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Zelda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a great day, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Zelda! We also celebrate pet birthdays in my household for both the pets we have and to remember pets we've lost (a little maudlin, but my kid's intention is in the right place). Bella's birthday is Valentine's Day and my girl has a song, cards, and day-long plans every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Day-long plans? What kind of plans?!

      Delete
  3. Our girl is also twelve-ish, or so we think. She’s very sedate and never frolics. I toss a treat for her, and she waddles over to etch it (or maybe not) very complacently. We once had another cat who lived to chase treats. He would even scramble after them when he was old and deaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how different cats have such different personalities. Zelda isn't much a playtime cat, but she does very occasional zoomies.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to Zelda. She is a lovely cat. And what a kitten!
    Marlowe and Piper were rescued front porch cats from the same litter. We got them from the APL, and they are 13 now. Their birthday is March 1st. We don't actively celebrate, but they are spoiled year-round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Littermates!! How adorable. I feel like two cats is actually less work than one, so you were smart to get a pair.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Zelda! Every time you post a picture of her I think what a beautiful cat she is- so I especially LOVE that kitten picture! So adorable!!!
    For our older cat, Charlotte, we don't know her birthday or how old she is. When we adopted her, the vet guessed she was around 4- so she's around 9 now. We got Muffin as a kitten, and we know her whole history. She and her siblings were abandoned in a dumpster (sob!) and we have a very firm estimation of her birthday as April 1st. She's now 3, which is so hard to believe. She still has her kitten personality and we treat her like a baby, ha ha. I'm sure Charlotte is disgusted by the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are these people dumping kittens?! Didn't they know one of those kitties would become Muffin?!

      Delete
  6. She is so gorgeous! Fun to see her in all her chosen spots. Happy birthday, princess.

    Maggie is, I want to say, 11. I adopted her when she was an adult, but I think their paperwork said she was born in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie and Zelda are pretty close in age then. That's fun!

      Delete
  7. I like Zelda. She has the looks and the attitude and a photographer who takes great pics of her beautifulness, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely worshipped correctly!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to Zelda! Such a beautiful presence... that picture of her as a kitten is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was the fuzziest kitten! I the original paperwork for the vet, it asked for breed and wrote "fuzzy."

      Delete
  9. Aww. So sweet. And she is GORGEOUS. Also, what a life. She always looks so contented and I agree that finding a perfect sunbeam is one of the highest achievements possible in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an expert at finding sunbeams! I think you two would get along.

      Delete
  10. Zelda is so beautiful! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She certainly never tires of hearing how pretty she is.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday Hannah!!!!

    To each their own, but I'm with you on not understanding how anyone doesn't love cats. They curl up in your lap, they purr, and they are very clear communicators who let you know where their boundaries are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's fine if people say they don't like cats. It really just means they haven't met mine!

      Delete
  12. She is the the floofiest, flounciest, most badass creature! Happy Birthday Zelda! We know exactly when two of our cats were born and the other two are estimates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like estimates are fine, so long as they get their celebrations!

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday sweet Zelda! She is a beauty! I really miss having a cat around. Someday we'll have another one, I think/hope. We also got Oscar from a farm. The family told us she was certainly a boy as orange cats are boys and one of the daughter of the farm owners works in genetics so we trusted them. After about a week, Phil said he was sure Oscar was a girl. When he took her to the vet, the first vet said she was pretty sure the cat was a boy. He was like - can we get a second opinion, I'd like to know for sure. The other vet came in and said - are you kidding me, this is definitely a girl. And that's how we have a girl cat named Oscar. But she gets called "kitty" by everyone. I could feed her every meal and treat and she'd still prefer Phil, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, an orange girl cat IS pretty rare, so Oscar is very special. :) I think that in another few years the boys will be old enough to actually be able to enjoy a pet and it would be a perfect time to get a new cat (or dog! - I LOVE a boy and his dog).

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday to your lovely Zelda. I think she is the MOST beautiful Feline ever! She is living the good life; so funny to see her in the dog crate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dog crate has become the cat crate. *heavy sigh*

      Delete
  15. ZELDA! I hope she had the purrfect birthday. I cannot get over kitty Zelda!!! Are you kidding me? I want to eat her up. She's so cute!

    Both of my cats' birthdays are estimates. I adopted Eloise when she was around 8ish months old and Lila when she was a few months from turning one. Since the shelter gave Lila a birthday of 5/8, I decided to give Eloise her birthday two weeks beforehand since I knew they were likely right around the same age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BABY ZELDA!! She was so cute and sweet and fuzzy. Who would have ever imagined she'd grow up to be this giant fuzzbucket we have now?

      Delete
  16. Aww, happy birthday beautiful Zelda! She surely is beautiful (and she was sooo cute as a kitten). Funny thing I never noticed in other photos before: her head looks like she's short-haired, but her body fur is so long and fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I've never thought of her head as looking like a short-haired cat because her ears are so very fuzzy, but you're right. It's not really until her neck that things get crazy!

      Delete
  17. Happy, happy birthday, Zelda! I love - LOVE - the baby Zelda picture.
    And now... she's beautiful and floofy... and yet I know I'd sneeze the entire time I was snuggling her. Sigh. It's not that I don't like cats - but apparently my system does not like their dander. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda as a kitten. I wish I could describe how ANGRY she was. She had ear mites and we had to clean her ears a couple of times a day and she always had cleaner on her face and she looked vaguely greasy and she was Such A Grump. And that's how she got her reputation as a kitty who is easily upset.

      She'd definitely make you sneeze. She's like a dander factory. I'm sorry. :( But you can snuggle Hannah.

      Delete
    2. What I miss the most about not having a dog - lying on the floor with said dog, just breathing. It's probably one of the only times I was nearly fully relaxed (well, excluding those times that I've been sedated, under anesthesia, etc. :>).

      Delete