Thursday, June 08, 2023

8.8 Art - Picture Books

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined themed chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the eighth day of the month is "Art."

****************

I had an acquaintance in grad school who was married to a very successful children's book illustrator. If you've ever read a Little Blue Truck book to a child, they've seen her work. I would only see her occasionally at events, but I would always corner her and talk to her about the publishing industry because I found it absolutely fascinating and so different from anything I had ever done in my life.  

Recently, I've been thinking about some of the conversations I had with Jill, especially about one book she illustrated where there was a dog that was hiding on every page and she thought that the people in the book looking for the dog, particularly the adults, were really stupid and careless. People in my life have been recommending children's books to me and I've been so impressed with the quality of these picture books. It's crazy how far we've come from a dog hiding in plain sight. Picture books are such a great mixed media enterprise with the combination of visual art and the written word.

Lisa recommended Gato Guapo to me and I have to say it's a delightful read. This book, written by Anikia Adlamuy Denise and illustrated by Zara González Hoang (2023), is the story of a very handsome cat and nine little cats who follow him down the street. Told in a mixture of English and Spanish, I highly recommend this book, especially if you're raising bilingual kids. I suspect it would be a great hit as a read aloud once kids realized the pattern.  


On my most recent post about hatsBibliomama recommended This Is Not My Hat (Hat Trilogy #2) by Jon Klassen (2012) which is the tale of a small fish who steals a hat from a big fish and the big fish's attempt to get his hat back while the little fish hides. I honestly spent like ten minutes trying to find the little fish in a two-page spread of plants and laughed like a crazy person at the expressions on the big fish's face. 

One of my friends from high school is married to a lady who works at a library with the kids/teens. (This makes it sounds like she's not my friend. She and my high school friend have been together since before I even met my own husband, so she's my friend, too. Not just the wife of a friend. I don't know why I feel like I need to make this explicit, but in light of my recent posts on friendship, I want her to get credit!) She recommended TWO picture books to me, which made me sort of laugh because who is recommending picture books to forty-somethings? Well, it's my friends who know me a little too well.

First up from her recommendations is Big by Vashti Harrison (2023). A baby girl is told she is a big girl as she's growing up and that's a good thing. But all of a sudden being big is not a good thing. I wish I could describe the illustrations in this book for you in great detail. It's just so powerful. The girl hears all these negative words and it makes her feel bigger and bigger until she's taking up all the space on the page of the book. But she also feels smaller and smaller. And then she cries and she's crying out the words that hurt her. 

I was in tears by the end of this book as the little girl arrives at a good place in her journey of self-acceptance and self-empowerment. I will definitely be buying this as a gift for young girls in the future.

The final book in my picture book extravaganza is Mommy's Khimar by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow and illustrated by Ebony Glenn (2018). A young Muslim girl spends the day in her mommy's closet, admiring her khimars and playing with one in her favorite color. The book also shows some women in her community not wearing a khimar and that's okay, too.


What a delightful time I had reading these books!

Do you have any recommendations for picture books for me? If we have them at the library, I promise I'll check out all the recs you give me!

18 comments:

  1. This was such a fun post to read! I adore picture books and am deeply sad that we have left that phase in my family (although occasionally my daughter still allows me to read one to her). Little Blue Truck was a favorite around here and I adore the illustrations (as well as the rhyme, which was much better than a lot of books that purport to rhyme).

    I have a few recommendations for you! First is The Skunk by Mac Barnett, which I feel reads like an allegory -- an allegory I CANNOT figure out but one I feel deeply nonetheless. I love it SO MUCH. My favorite line: "The skunk is a skunk." I also love the use of color.

    Another fabulous Mac Barnett book (I mean, he is amazing and I love all of his books, including his Kid Spy series, but these are two of my particular favorites) is Extra Yarn, which is such a beautiful book about creativity.

    My library system does these outdoor library book presentations and my daughter and I recently came across Julian Is a Mermaid, which I found to be absolutely beautiful. The illustrations are gorgeous and so is the story. And so is the fact that this is a story that little kids will be able to read.

    One of my other ALL-TIME favorites, which I don't know if you will be able to find because it was hard to track down when I wanted to buy it for a friend's daughter, is The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses. It's one of the few books my mother saved from my own childhood and I just love it.

    Other books I LOVE: I Am a Cat by Galia Bernstein, Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown, Sand Cake by Frank Asch, and The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sancone-Roach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous! I now have an entire cell of picture books recommended by Suzanne on my TBR spreadsheet. I've never had a picture book column before! I'm so excited!

      Delete
  2. Oh, i miss the picture book days so much!!! When my daughter was little we loved the "Ladybug Girl" books by David Soman and Jackie Davis. We read tons of other books but nothing else stands out in my memory. All the ones you talked about sound awesome, and now I want to go and lurk in the children's section of our library and read them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel weird when I'm in the children's section (I have been there more than usual lately, trying to find books to read in Spanish) because I think people know I don't have kids! They know! But I also think they don't care. LOL. Go find these books and read them - it won't take you more than 15 minutes!

      Delete
  3. I have my childhood favourite book - it says "To Nicole, Christmas 1980" on the insert - and it's Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World. I really loved the Scarry books as a child and I read them all to my sons when they were little. But Busy Busy World is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Busy Busy World until my nieces and nephews were born and my MIL brought out her collection of Richard Scarry books from when my husband and his siblings were young! You're not alone in your Richard Scarry love!

      Delete
    2. Nicole, did you ever search for Goldbug in the Richard Scarry books? LOVED that. I <3 Richard Scarry.

      Delete

  4. Last year, a friend and I came across this really cool children's book in an independent bookstore, and I bought it for myself because I was so taken with the illustrations and the message. It's called Maybe by Kobi Yamada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked and my library has it, so I'll get it checked out soon! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

      Delete
  5. Did you ever go to Wild Rumpus when you lived in Minneapolis? It is the most epic children's book store EVER! It's based on the book, 'The Salamander Room.' As you walk into the store, it looks like the ceiling is cracking open and revealing the sky. There have lots of animals - pet cats, they used to have chickens, a lizard, chinchillas, etc.

    I am so glad you loved Gato Guapo! I wish you could hear Paul read it along with me. He was so dramatic w/ the counting and saying that last word with a confused/questioning voice.

    Next you need to check out Jazz Baby. That is one of my favorite picture books. I commonly gift it for birthdays and baby showers. And the hat books are SO good! There are others in that collection, too! My husband's fave is "We Found a Hat." My favorite board book is "All the World."

    But I would agree that picture books are so amazing these days! I know my friend who teaches 5th grade continues to read picture books to her students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go to Wild Rumpus a time or two - usually when people with children were visiting me. It is a magical place!

      I have added Jazz Baby, We Found a Hat, and All the World to my list. I'm really going to increase my level of borrowing at the library with all these picture books!

      Delete
    2. Now your library borrowing may approach our ridiculous level. ;) I would love to know where we rank in the library system. We check out sooo many books each week! Often 15-25 at a time.

      Delete
  6. These looks so cute and I love that you are reading kids books; you are so fun!
    I've always been drawn to books that had great illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I don't know if I'm fun, but I'm definitely enjoying my mid-40s picture book rennaissance!

      Delete
  7. This is delightful. I wish I knew more (English) pictures books that I could recommend. I haven't been immersed in the world of picture books for a while... ha. But I love them. They often seem "simple" but with such powerful messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the sheer talent involved in the visual art of picture books is amazing. I am not sure if it's because I had this acquaintance with a picture book illustrator or what, but I'm so astounded by how much talent people have. Matching the illustrations with the words and creating such powerful messages. They're fabulous!

      Delete
  8. I love the classics... The Sandra Boynton books are awesome for small babies. The Snowy Day. Ox Cart Man. I think you hate the Giving Tree, so maybe not that... Richard Scarry books. Where's Waldo for slightly older kids. Where the Wild Things Are. (I know there are now issues with some of these, but to me, they reflect when they were written...) For non picture books, I love Shel Silverstein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Ox Cart Man. I added it to my list!

      My sister LOVED Shel Silverstein back in the day. I feel like she memorized a bunch of poems and recited them for us. What a fun blast from the past.

      Delete