Sunday, June 18, 2023

8.18 Winner - Podcast Roundup June 2023

Bestest Friend and I are doing a podcast project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the eighteenth day of the month is "Winner."

****************

I don't have much to report from the podcasting front. I've been trying to actually listen to more music (*shocked face*) in an effort to become more like a normal person. To that end, I've had some inspiration from a podcast called 60 Songs that Explain the 90s, a Ringer podcast in which host Rob Harvilla reminisces about a song, gives us the history of the song and performer, and then talks with someone else who has strong feelings about the song. In general, I think this is a podcast for people who are already familiar with the song because otherwise it's a bit too inside baseball to follow, but if you came to your musical awareness in the 90s, this is definitely a must listen. I love the enthusiasm and humor with which the host talks about these songs and I've definitely added more songs to my playlist after an episode. Just try it. Starting with the Alanis Morrisette episode (song #1!) is a great way to see if you'd be interested in more.


There's a new limited-series podcast from Lemonada called Blind Plea that examines the infuriating case of a woman named Deven Grey who was a domestic violence victim found guilty of murdering her abuser on the basis of some shoddy evidence and a bureaucratic process called a blind plea. Just when I think this story can't get worse, they release a new episode and I'm filled with even more rage. It is really a terrible thing that victims of intimate partner violence in this country must either choose between prison or death at the hands of their abuser.


My final podcast recommendation is for the latest episode of my beloved Ear Hustle, the podcast that covers the reality of prison life and post-incarceration reintegration into society. "Articles of Ear Hustle" is a collab with Avery Trufelman, host of the fashion podcast Articles of Interest. Hot take: Articles of Interest is boring. "Articles of Ear Hustle," however, is simply fascinating. You might have in your mind what a prison uniform is - black and white stripes and/or an orange jumpsuit - but you're probably wrong. It's also really fascinating to hear about the evolution and change of prison uniforms over time. Seriously. Give it a listen. 

Illustration by Jeffrey E. Isom

Any podcast recommendations for me?  


16 comments:

  1. Is there a podcast for "people who haven't listened to popular music since the 90's and want to get up to speed"??? If so, I need that show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might I suggest All Songs Considered for this purpose? (https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/) I have no desire to listen to most music created post -2007, but they cover the current music scene.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that first pod might be a listen for me. I don't like listening to any pods about crime so the other two are not. I just started listening to The Deep Dive and it's totally my jam, they just had one about fashion which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could handle the Ear Hustle episode since it's about fashion. There's no mention of what crimes anyone committed, so the crime part of things is not really present!

      If not, you might like Articles of Interest despite my claim that it's boring because it is about fashion!

      Delete
  3. I don't usually listen to podcasts (which is ironic given that I recorded one), but the 90s song one sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like it so much because the host is really funny. He has these one-liners and running jokes through episodes that just make me laugh and laugh.

      Delete
  4. Will you have a shocked face if I tell you that I almost never listen to podcasts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i listen to podcasts all the time! But our podcast styles are different. I've recently discovered She Runs Ultras- the host is an ultra runner (obviously.) I just listened to a very long episode where she recaps a 200 mile race. Ha, probably not for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our podcast tastes are quite different. :) That's the best thing about podcasts - there's something for everybody!

      Delete
  6. These both sound great, but that first one might get me all riled up too!
    I've been meaning to share my latest obsession podcast: Scamanda. It's really interesting and I've not finished it yet as all the episodes are not out, but it's really good. Spoiler alert: It's about a lying blogger. 😜😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard mixed things about Scamanda, but I might download some episodes on your rec.

      The song podcast is wonderful. I just keep adding more songs to my Spotify playlist!

      Delete
  7. The 90s song one might be a good one for Phil and I to listen to - if we were ever in the car without our children! Our kids like to play DJ much to Phil's chagrin, and they listen to the same Taylor Swift songs over and over again until Phil hits his breaking point and turns the music off. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 90s song one is SO GOOD. If you were a teen/young person in the 90s, it will just resonate with you in a big way. (Not recommended if kids are in the car, though. Language and content is adult!)

      Delete
  8. You'd hate my podcast app - it's mostly sports-related podcasts. :) I did just follow the Washington Post's Field Trip podcast, which is focusing on the National Parks this summer. It's interesting - not something that I'd typically listen to, but since I've never been to the 5 parks they are highlighting this summer, I thought it would be a good way to learn more about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I might not be interested in the sports-related podcasts, but I'm glad they're there for you. When we lived in Winona, a town set in the bluffs, frequently the only radio station I could get reception for was ESPN radio, so I listened to a fair amount of sports talk radio for a year or so. I actually think hearing about sports/personalities might be more interesting than watching sports for me.

      Delete