Tuesday, June 13, 2023

8.13 Failure - Of Communication

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the thirteenth day of the month is "Failure."

****************

(TL; DR) People get lost on a lake and poor choices were made but everyone is found safe and sound. 

As you know, I returned to Michigan again last weekend for another graduation open house. Western Michigan was showing off on the day of the party (clear blue skies, 82, a breeze) and we all stayed too late sitting in a circle around an unlit campfire (drought conditions = fire ban) while my friend told a family story.  Buckle up, it's a ride. Also, the cast list is enormous.

My friends Gustavo and Cecelia (all names have been changed to protect the innocent) have what they call a "cabin" on a chain of lakes "up north." If I'm telling the story, I'd describe it as a shack in mid-Michigan with lake access, but I'm not telling the story.  They frequently invite folks to stay with them at the cabin and one weekend they invited a big group.

Gustavo's parents, Justine and Big Alan 

Gustavo's brother, Alan 

Alan's three children, Autumn (12), Conor (15), and Tristan (8)

Gustavo's niece Desdemona (12) and his nephew Blake (6)

Gustavo and Cecelia's own children Alice (17), Johannah (16), and Derrick (14)

Buffy (her real name) the dog was also present, but she doesn't actually play a role in the story. I just want you to imagine thirteen people and a big dog sleeping in what is essentially a two-room shack.  

Buffy (her real name) is the cutest, cuddliest, sweetest dog I've ever met. You can smoosh her face and kiss on her all you want. She's also good at ball and waiting for her food. I want Buffy to show Hannah how to be a real dog.

Anyway, Gustavo and Cecelia had taken their pontoon out earlier in the day and it had broken down. They just barely managed to get the pontoon to the dock before the engine sputtered again. They knew the pontoon was broken, but no one else really did.

Cecelia had been working all week and was tired, so she took off for a nap in the air-conditioned bedroom.  

Gustavo and his mom were cooking dinner in the kitchen.

So when Conor, Derrick, Autumn, and Desdemona asked Big Alan if they could take the kayaks to paddle the chain of lakes, Big Alan did not ask Gustavo or Cecelia if this was a good idea. He just said yes, told the kids to have fun, and off they went.

But. The thing is that it takes an hour to get around the chain of lakes on the pontoon. It's really a day trip if you're going to paddle it. And it was about an hour before the sun was going down.

Eventually Gustavo and his mom realize that not all the kids are coming to eat dinner. Where are they? Big Alan grunts about letting them kayak the chain of lakes. The kids have a fishing kayak (the Rolls-Royce of kayaks, I guess), two regular old kayaks, and an inflatable kayak.

Gustavo takes the younger boys out in the canoe to see if he can see them. After a short in and out of the channel, they see nothing. When Gustavo tells this part of the story, there are lots of embellishments about how they ran into a black bear and a nesting loon, but that's all made up because he felt badly for Tristan and Blake who didn't have much of a role in the rest of the story.

The sun is going to be setting soon and everyone's worried about these four kids. So Gustavo goes to get the neighbor guy who has a working pontoon and asks if he can help Gustavo find the kids on the lake. Neighbor guy gets all the gear - flashlights, towels, etc. - and just as they're about to unmoor the pontoon, Gustavo sees the yellow tip of an oar and sees Derrick's kayak. He calls off the neighbor, thanks him for helping, and wanders back to his cabin.

He gets to the cabin and sees Derrick and Conor.

"Where are the girls?"

"We left them crying two lakes back. I thought we'd just grab the pontoon and go back to get them."

Whomp whomp. You may recall that this entire saga began with the pontoon breaking down.

Gustavo and Alan take off in the kayaks that Derrick and Conor had just returned to find the girls. Gustavo is in the Rolls-Royce kayak and Conor is in a kayak that had been overturned and not completely emptied because the boys had had quite an adventure themselves.

Meanwhile, Cecelia is awake from her nap and is seriously pissed that Big Alan just let four kids with hardly any experience head off into the wilderness just before dusk. Her nieces are missing, her husband and brother-in-law are off looking for them, and it's officially past sunset now.  Justine starts picking up the yard because she's the kind of person who cleans when she's stressed and she realizes that there are an awful lot of beer bottles scattered around. Who drank all these? Well, that would be Alan who just took off in a sketchy kayak half-filled with lake water to find his daughter and niece in a chain of lakes he's never been on before.  

Gustavo and Alan are gone. Gustavo has the nice kayak and soon he loses Alan because Gustavo's kayak can get through some swampy areas, but Alan gets stuck.

Then Alan's phone starts ringing. It's the girls! They had somehow managed to get their kayaks to a random person's dock and knocked on doors until they found someone who would let them make a phone call. They call Alan's phone because it's the only number that either girl has memorized (sidenote: even with cell phones, we should all still memorize important phone numbers!).  All the kids are safe.

But what of Gustavo and Alan?

Cecelia manages to get Gustavo on the phone when he's in one of the small spots that gets reception in the middle of the lake. She tells him that the girls are safe, so he and Alan can come back. Just before Gustavo can tell her that Alan is missing, the call cuts out.

And Alan walks up behind everyone and says hello, scaring the pants off the more delicate members of the party.

Alan's side story is that he eventually did exactly what the girls did and docked his kayak at the first place he saw and he just walked the shoreline until he found the cabin. If I were him, I'd still be wandering around random shorelines because I have no sense of direction. I literally have no idea how he did this.

But Gustavo is still on the lake. 

Big Alan is on the phone with the 911 dispatcher.

Cecelia is panicked.

The kids are either pretending nothing is happening or sharing their exploits.

And then Gustavo finally makes it home before emergency services are activated.

What have we learned kids?

There's a reason we ask our moms if we can do things and not our grandfathers.

30 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no sense of direction, either. And I never remember how to get someplace, even if I've driven it many times, unless it's local. The day they invented GPS systems for cars, I was thrilled.
    If only they'd invent Personal GPS Systems, too. I get lost in big buildings like hospitals all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have gotten lost in my own town. I have NO sense of direction at all and I honestly don't know how I did it pre-GPS. I mean, pre-Mapquest, even. I had my drivers license before this tech was available - how did I do it?

      Delete
  2. At least we knew from the start that it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was only fair that you should know the ending before it started because I knew the ending before it started because all those people were sitting around the non-campfire with me.

      Delete
  3. My only reaction: OMG. Like, OMG. Glad it all worked out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With every new twist, it's even more exciting!

      Delete
  4. Hilarious, but also TERRIFYING. I love the water and grew up spending a lot of time on/in lakes and oceans but I have a very, very healthy fear of water, too.

    And yes - the moral of the story is definitely to ask mothers first. Also, I'm so bad about memorizing numbers now because I store them in my phone. I only know 4-5 numbers off by heart. I know my parents home phone...but not their cell phone. And, to my shame, I have zero idea what my best friend's number is. Seriously? My emergency contact! The person beyond my husband and parents I would trust with my life and I have no sweet clue what her phone number is because...IT'S IN MY PHONE.

    I think one of my goals for this month needs to be to memorize her number...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that IS a lesson. I really only know my husband's phone number. What if I needed to call someone else and my cell phone wasn't handy? Let's all put it on our goals list. Memorize five important phone numbers.

      Delete
  5. THIS WAS HARROWING TO READ. I know you said up front everything turned out okay, but SHEESH. And yes, the conclusion is correct. My father -- who is a wonderful, brilliant, careful man -- is frequently saying yes to things my daughter requests that I WOULD NEVER.

    I am so glad everything worked out okay! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fact that one mom was cooking and the other was sleeping and the grandfather got to make the call ("I just want the kids to have fun while they're young") about the kayak trip definitely led to this disaster. There would have been no story if someone had just bothered to ask a woman.

      Delete
  6. OMG WHAT A STORY!!!! Very very very fortunate it all worked out.
    My kids like to paddleboard on my parents' lake, and one year they were out and a huge storm whipped up. They had the sense to not try to paddle back but to go ashore and just walk back to their house, to retrieve the paddleboards later. WHEW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lucky break after lucky break for them! I didn't ask them, but I wonder if they have a more systematic way of monitoring these types of outings now!

      Delete
  7. Despite your assurance at the beginning, my heart was in my mouth the whole time! So many, many things could have gone wrong. For me it was the walking up to strangers' houses to ask for help because there have been quite a few instances in the news lately about how that went wrong. SO glad and relieved everyone is ok and home safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did help that we knew everything worked out in the end because all of these people were sitting there! It was more amusing than anything in the telling!

      Delete
  8. LOL the moral of the story!!!! They all must have been so worried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Big Alan thought it was a bit of a lark, actually. Kids being kids! The moms were...quite concerned

      Delete
  9. I am so glad they were okay! I would have been terrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how I would have reacted if I'd been there. I mean, seriously! Four kids! Right before sunset! In kayaks! Big Alan is lucky he made it out unscathed.

      Delete
  10. Ha, this is quite a story. I like the names you chose (Gustavo... Cecelia... Desdemona...) and am wondering what the real names are. Glad Buffy made an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Their names are so normal. I just didn't want them to be anywhere near their real names! (One of my friends texted me last night asking "Are Gustavo and Cecelia X and Y" and I laughed and laughed because she knew IMMEDIATELY who they were.)

      Delete
  11. Geez, first of all thank you for beginning with the news that everyone was fine. My girlfriend and I were at a family-type camp once babysitting my mom's friend's kid, and we took a canoe out in what was soon very high winds. It was a really good lesson about being more respectful of open water and less cocky about our strength and paddling skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get hairy pretty quickly on a lake! I can't swim, so I tend to really avoid water and while I knew this story had a happy ending, it really stressed me out when I listened to it, even if it was told in a lighthearted way.

      Delete
  12. Oh, I also concur that your naming skills are strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't do a good enough job because someone I know IRL figured out who everyone was!

      Delete
  13. OMG! That's a crazy story. Yes, always ask the lady folk first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. If they'd just consulted with either Desdemona or Justine (or even one of the older girls Alice or Johannah) none of this would have happened!

      Delete
  14. OMG. That IS why everybody should always ask the moms/females first. I am glad everyone was safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I knew everyone was safe when the story started because they were all there, but it must've been terrifying on that night!

      Delete
  15. Good grief. This is terrifying, even knowing that everything worked out. Teenagers. People who don't know what's going on. People not talking to each other. YIKES! So glad everyone is safe but... yeah. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again. At least anytime soon. Also? I can't even imagine packing 13 people into a 2 room cabin. Just, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 people and a giant dog! I have been to the cabin once (did not stay overnight) and have managed to avoid going back. I find it very claustrophobic, but they love it and it's great for their family, so rock on for them.

      Delete