Wednesday, May 24, 2023

7.24 Family - More Book Recs Please

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined topic chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-fourth day of the month is "Family."

*******************

My twin niece and nephew are turning fourteen this weekend. (You GUYS. Remember when they were so sick in the NICU? Now they're teenagers!) I'm sliding twenty-five dollars cold hard cash into some greeting cards and getting them each a book and calling it a happy birthday. I asked a couple of people who have teenagers what were appropriate birthday gifts and they all said the best thing you can do for a teenager is let them spend the money how they want to. Money seems like a lame gift, but whatever. It's what they want, I guess.

So I'm asking for yet more book recommendations from you. I will need to order the book by the end of the day today, so what fabulous books do you recommend for a fourteen-year-old boy and a fourteen-year-old girl? Also, these are well-read kids, so don't go recommending JK Rowling and Cassandra Clare because they've already been there and done that.

My nephew: Still has not hit puberty and is quite self-conscious about it. Active in the Boy Scouts and his church youth group. Very responsible, as he frequently helps his disabled twin sister and his younger sister. Has recommended to me books about dragons, elf people, and surviving in the wilderness, Gary Paulsen-style. 

My niece: Physically disabled, but precocious and a great reader. Likes Pokemon and keeping extensive spreadsheets about her cards.  Will participate in sports, but generally is not particularly competitive. Really liked The Mortal Instruments series and has given me books about disabled animals finding friends (SO. Sad.) to read. Has not been impressed with any mystery novels I've suggested (Mixed Up Files and Nancy Drew). 

I have a couple of thoughts.  I'm tempted by Ender's Game for the boy, although I dislike the idea of monetarily supporting Orson Scott card. I feel like it's just classic enough that perhaps he hasn't read it and the ending is so shocking. Or maybe Otherworld by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller in the same sort of videogame epic-type book? In a different style altogether, maybe Darius the Great is Not Okay to introduce some diversity into his midwestern white boy life? Or is that too preachy?

I'm leaning hard towards A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my niece. I think fourteen is a perfectly appropriate age for it. But maybe I should wait until she's a little bit older? Or maybe It Sounded Better in My Head by Nina Kenwood which has a character with a skin issue that might resonate with my physically disabled niece? Or is that too on the nose? (There are a couple of books that deal with her specific disability including The Running Dream and The Beauty is in the Walking that I have taken off the list entirely because I don't want my niece to think her disability is all I know about her.) Maybe I should just give her a good old fashioned fantasy novel, like one by Megan Whalen Turner? 

Give me your thoughts! What do you think you would buy them? I need to make this decision ASAP, so your voice matters! (Also, they will certainly be given gift receipts, so if they don't like their books, they'll be able to return them.)

12 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I am no help here! I'm great with picture books since that is the stage my kids are in. I'm kind of intimidated by YA/early teens and will lean heavily on indieboung.org recs and our librarian! I used to give books to my nieces and nephews but now I just do money as I felt like I was getting out of touch with book recommendations for their ages. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions from your readers, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like this is just such a hard age range. Oh, well. I'll do my best and give them gift receipts.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a clue what 14-year-olds read, but I think A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a fabulous idea! Happy birthday to your niece and nephew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to go with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. If nothing else, maybe she won't read it right now, but will when she gets older.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about YA English literature (besides what I have read myself at a much later age), so I can't really give any advice (although I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!)... but yeah, it's the truth that teenagers like cash to spend on what they want (I always ask my sister for my niece (14) and nephew (13) and get the same answer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like cash makes me seem lazy as a gift giver, but it does seem to be what parents of teens recommend.

      Delete
  4. My younger son really loved the Wings of Fire series, which features dragons. Both boys liked Percy Jackson, but I'm not sure if that's too young, as I can't actually remember when they read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've read Percy Jackson and he was the one who recommended Wings of Fire to me, so they've read the original series and the legacy series. My husband thinks he might be ready for Lord of the Rings, but I'm not sure I want to be the person to get him hooked on that!

      Delete
  5. Since you said you needed to decide ASAP this is probably too late, and I'm also probably no help. my kids have never been gigantic readers (I know! Where did I go wrong???) I'm very happy though because my daughter is currently reading a series of books called Warrior Cats- but I'm guessing your niece has more sophisticated tastes (even though they're both 14.) My son did read Wings of Fire and Percy Jackson, and he's actually reading Ender's Game right now (but he's 20, so I'm not sure if it's too mature for 14?)
    I think your niece is old enough for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Ender's Game. Fingers crossed they are new books to them!

      Delete
  6. I have never read Ender's Game. Hm. Maybe I should?

    ReplyDelete