Wednesday, March 22, 2023

The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club #1) by Richard Osman

 

The Thursday Murder Club is Richard Osman's debut novel. The British funnyman who I know from his stints as a guest on my beloved Taskmaster (new season starting March 30!!) and as a host on the game show Pointless, has written a handful of non-fiction books, but this is the first in a mystery series set in a retirement community. 

This has been quite well received with its focus on witty octogenarians. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim, and Joyce are trying to figure out who killed one person when suddenly there are multiple crimes to be solved. We are introduced to the Thursday Murder Club as they examine a cold case, but soon we learn that things are not as quiet in this community as we thought.

I wanted to love this book. There are moments of levity and I appreciate the representation of elderly people and their challenges. But I thought it was just okay. The mysteries weren't particularly interesting, although I did like the way the characters developed throughout the book. It looks like the reviews for further books in this series get better and better, so maybe I'll read the next book, although I'm not rushing out to order the next one from the library immediately. 

3.5/5 stars

Lines of note:

I read that if mankind doesn't stop eating meat, there will be mass starvation by 2050. With respect, I am nearly eighty, and this won't be my problem, but I do hope they sort it out. (page 50)

SIX PAGES LATER

He had once read a headline about Diet Coke that was so worrying he had chosen not to read the article. (page 56)

I just felt like this "just read something" twice in very close proximity was kind of lazy writing.

Donna has always been headstrong, always acted quickly and decisively. Which is a fine quality when you are right, but a liability when you are wrong. It's great to be the fastest runner, but now when you're running in the wrong direction. (page 125)

I can't even imagine being the kind of person who acts decisively. What a way to live.

She has a meeting down this way. Something to do with "optimization." If I think back to that girl who would eat her fish fingers and potato waffles but scream blue murder about eating her peas, I didn't imagine she would ever be having meetings about optimization, what it is. (page 125)

Ha! Sometimes I hear people talking about their jobs and I just wonder how come I never learned any specialized jargon.

"Some people love their children more than they love their partner," says Ibrahim, "and some people love their partner more than their children. And no one can admit to either thing." (page 266-267)

Parenthood is impossible, isn't it?

"You know when you look into someone's eyes for the first time and the whole world breaks apart? And you just thinking, 'Of course, of course, this is what I've been waiting for all this time'?" 

Love at first sight in a murder mystery book! I wasn't expecting that. 

Things I looked up:

Mark Duggan (page 11)

10 comments:

  1. This was my review on my blog:
    "I really enjoyed the character development in this book, but found the ending…unsatisfying. I can’t decide if I think it was too messy or too neatly wrapped up?...I enjoyed it enough to order the next book in this series. 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4 on Goodreads)."

    The third book in this series is my favourite and I really do think they get better (I'm talking about this book tomorrow, actually). I enjoyed the first book, but wasn't entirely convinced to read the second but did, really enjoyed it, and the third book has been my favourite by far!!

    No pressure to keep trying it out...but I do think they get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will eventually read more of these book. The reviews do seem to get better with each successive book. But I probably won't be reading it this month!

      Delete
  2. I put this on hold through Libby— sounds worth a listen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the audiobook will be a good listen - lots of different voice for all the different POVs, maybe?

      Delete
  3. I think I liked this book a lot more than you did. I found it absolutely charming and the mystery pretty good. (It's been a year or two since I've read it, though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was charming in places and I really did like the four main characters. I just sort of thought it dragged a bit and wanted more somehow. Oh, well. I'm sure the books get better.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you reviewed this. I know a lot of people love this series, and I also know your opinions don't always align with the popular one. Something about this series just sounds a little too.... cute? for me. The fact that if I can just get through the first two, then the third one will be really good, doesn't appeal to me. There are too many other good books out there to read! That said, if you do read #2 and #3, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see how this would be a bit too cute for some. I like how there's a niche of books about older adults (I'm thinking about A Man Called Ove and An Elderly Woman is Up to No Good) and the representation of people past retirement age who are living fulfilling lives is wonderful to see and I appreciate this as an addition to that type of book. But I don't know if it's for everyone.

      Delete
  5. I thought this book was a bit cute, but I did like the characters and their eccentricities. I did listen to it as an audiobook and I do think that I probably enjoyed it more due to that. I have listened to the other two as well and liked them, so maybe next time you should listen rather than read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. The next time my podcast queue gets too short, maybe I'll see if I can get the next one as an audiobook.

      Delete