Sunday, January 29, 2023

3.29 Song - Billboard Song of the Year

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-ninth day of the month is "Song."

****************

The podcast Hit Parade had a recent episode (Hits of the Year edition, Part II) in which the host, Chris Molanthy, ran through his ranking of Billboard's Songs of the Year since 1958. I am in wild disagreement with him on so many things, but I was fascinated anyway. For boring reasons having to do with duration on the charts, it's not always true that the song of the year is the song that was number one on the charts for the most length of time. It's not always true that the song of the year is the song you most associate with an artist. But it still gives you an idea of what was going on in the musical culture during a year.  


I created a playlist on Spotify with all these songs of the year* and I'm going to listen to this playlist at least once a month until the end of the year and we'll see which ones rise to the top and which ones don't. It's all subjective on my end, but I'm planning on doing three or four tiers (songs I will not listen to, songs that were fine to listen to once in a while, songs that are really good, and my top ten?) after I've listened to them for twelve months straight.  Here's what I think of them right now before I've listened to the playlist even once. (Notice that I just stopped listening to pop music somewhere around 2005 - I blame this blog.)

I'll update this at the end of the year.

*Except for the songs that I deleted off the playlist after I listened to it the first time. Sorry Macarena, In Da Club, Too Close, and Silly Love Songs. Also, I accidentally included a Taylor Swift song that doesn't belong on the list at all, but I refuse to take it off because it gives me so much pleasure when it comes on.

Year

Song

Artist

My Take in January 2022 Before I Listened to the Playlist

1958

Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)

Domenico Modugno

This song came to prominence because of Euorvision. I think I dig it?

1959

The Battle of New Orleans

Johnny Horton

I love a story song.

1960

Theme from a Summer Place

Percy Faith

Zzzzz…the first instrumental song on the list and a real snoozefest.

1961

Tossin’ and Turnin’

Bobby Lewis

Fun!

1962

Stranger on the Shore


Mr. Acker Bilk

Another instrumental song. I love a pretty clarinet.

1963

Sugar Shack

Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs

I think this is catchy.

1964

I Want to Hold Your Hand

Beatles

LOVE. Is this my favorite Beatles song? Maybe.

1965

Wolly Bully

Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs

Oddly earworm-like and gets in my head and maybe that’s a good pop song?

1966

Ballad of the Green Berets

Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler

I love a story song, but this one is purposefully patriotic and dumb.

1967

To Sir With Love

Lulu

Pretty, but kind of boring?

1968

Hey Jude

Beatles

Maybe this is my favorite Beatles song?

1969

Sugar, Sugar

Archies

I’ll be humming this for the rest of the day.

1970

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Simon and Garfunkel

Gorgeous song.

1971

Joy to the World

Three Dog Night

Jeremiah was a bullfrog! Who can resist this song?

1972

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Roberta Flack

At the risk of acknowledging my lameness and terrible taste in music, this song is boring.

1973

Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘Round the Ole Oak Tree

Tony Orlando and Dawn

Ugh. This is the worst.

1974

The Way We Were

Barbra Streisand

Zzzzzz

1975

Love Will Keep Us Together

Captain and Tennille

Disco sucks.

1976

Silly Love Songs

Wings

Wings sucks.

1977

Tonight’s the Night (Gonna Be Alright)

Rod Stewart

Yay! Stewart makes all the sexual allusions overt here. I love it.

1978

Shadow Dancing

Andy Gibb

Disco sucks.

1979

My Sharona

Knack

This song sucks.

1980

Call Me

Blondie

This was a terrible time for music.

1981

Bette Davis Eyes

Kim Carnes

I like this song?

1982

Physical

Olivia Newton-John

Annoying high pitch to Newton-John’s voice in this one.

1983

Every Breath You Take

Police

Even though this song is about stalking, I love it.

1984

When Doves Cry

Prince

(whispers quietly) I think Prince is overrated and this song is boring. Don't get me started on Purple Rain.

1985

Careless Whisper

Wham! ft. George Michael

Hot. I love this song.

1986

That’s What Friends Are For

Dionne and Friends

Why does this song exist?

1987

Walk Like An Egyptian

Bangles

This song is terrible.

1988

Faith

George Michael

This is my favorite song on this list. I love this song.

1989

Look Away

Chicago

I like this. I like men pining, though.

1990

Hold On

Wilson Phillips

I like this song. I had this album on cassette and listened to it all the time.

1991

Everything I Do (I Do It For You)

Bryan Adams

I love this song.

1992

End of the Road

Boys II Men

Amazing vocals. Great song.

1993

I Will Always Love You

Whitney Houston

Dolly’s version is better. Fight me.

1994

The Sign

Ace of Base

Hate.

1995

Gangsta’s Paradise

Coolio

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song all the way through.

1996

Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix)

Los Del Rio

Hate.

1997

Candle In the Wind (1997)

Elton John

Zzzzzzz….

1998

Too Close

Next

I was a teenager in the 1990s and I have never heard of this song.

1999

Believe

Cher

I like this song. I love Cher.

2000

Breathe

Faith Hill

Hate. (At some point, I decided I need to pick between Shania and Faith and I picked Shania. I can't think of a Faith Hill song I actually like to listen to.)

2001

Hanging By A Moment

Lifehouse

Oddly enough, this song is fine in my books.

2002

How You Remind Me

Nickelback

I don’t mind it. I know I should hate Nickelback, but I don’t. I’m part of the problem.

2003

In Da Club

50 Cent

Catchy.

2004

Yeah!

Usher ft. Lil Jon and Ludacris

Catchy.

2005

We Belong Together

Mariah Carey

Wait? This is Carey’s entry to this list? This song is not her best.

2006

Bad Day

Daniel Powter

I like this.

2007

Irreplaceable

Beyonce

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2008

Low

Flo Rida (ft. T-Pain)

Acceptable.

2009

Boom Boom Pow

The Blacked Eye Peas

Terrible song. Terrible!

2010

TiK ToK

Ke$ha

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2011

Rolling in the Deep

Adele

Yes! I love this song!

2012

Somebody That I Used to Know

Gotye ft. Kimbra

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2013

Thrift Shop

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (ft. Wanz)

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2014

Happy

Pharrell Williams

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2015

Uptown Funk!

Mark Ronson (ft. Bruno Mars)

I hate Bruno Mars with an unreasonableness. Ugh.

2016

Love Yourself

Justin Beiber

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2017

Shape of You

Ed Sheeran

Fine.

2018

God’s Plan

Drake

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2019

Old Town Road

Lil Nas X (ft. Billy Ray Cyrus)

The best. This song is catchy and clever.

2020

Blinding Lights

The Weeknd

My husband had a The Weeknd phase and I developed a huge dislike of this song during that time.

2021

Levitating

Dua Lipa

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.

2022

Heat Waves

Glass Animals

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this song.


What are you favorites on this list?

****************

To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, go visit her at Too Legit to Quit.

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it seems we have some differing taste in music! I love disco and Wings, and almost all the songs you say you hate on here. I hear pop music on my Peloton, otherwise I don't know much about it (I like Dua Lipa and the Weeknd, for example).
    I know everyone hates on Nickleback, but I really like them. It seems like a "cool" thing to hate on, but I think their music is very catchy and fun to listen to. Also, they are from Alberta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind Nickelback, either. I think they have some catchy tunes! Maybe I'm secretly Canadian.

      Delete
  2. You and I see eye to eye on Prince. I don't remember how it came up in conversation but the hubs and I watched the video for Careless Whisper on Youtube very recently. It was so ridiculous and so everything at the same time.

    I have very strong opinions on about half the songs and have no memories of the other half of the list. The oldest song that I know is I Wanna Hold Your Hand and the most recent is Uptown Funk. You and I will have to agree to disagree on that one. The reason it stands out is there's a video on Youtube with clips of musicals from the 30s and 40s that sync perfectly to the song and it's incredible to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the beauty of this list is that people do seem to have strong opinions! And they rarely agree. It's fun, although I do feel like I have to slink in the corner because there are so many songs in the last decade and a half that I do not know at all. Oh, well, I guess I'll know them by the end of 2023.

      Delete
  3. Hey Jude IS my favourite Beatles song ever. In fact, if I'd had a second boy, I think I would have wanted to name him Jude, mostly because of how much I love this song (that and I love the Hebrew translation of the name Judah).
    I looooovveeee "good" (subjective, I know) pop music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, a good pop song is brilliant. I am a huge fan of 60s bubble gum pop - Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, and the like. What's not to love?

      Delete
  4. How is The Captain and Tennille disco? And if you think that song is bad (which it is), you obviously have never listened to their song "Muskrat Love", which redefines Bad Music.

    I grew up with an older sister who was a Beatles fan. She actually went to a Beatles concert in Cleveland. I remember seeing them when they first appeared live on The Ed Sullivan Show. It was impossible to escape them, and as I idolized my older sister then, I too became a Beatles fan. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is my favourite album of theirs.

    If you are impressed by "Bridge over Troubled Waters" (and it is incredible, isn't it?), I think you'll also appreciate "The Dangling Conversation" and "Old Friends/Bookends", also by Simon and Garfunkel. The lyrics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends in high school discovered "Muskrat Love" and we must have sung it a million times! It is terrible, but still wonderful!

      Thanks for the S&G recs - I'll add them to my Spotify list and give them a try!

      Delete
  5. We differ on a few of these, but we share one very big thing in comoon- I also don't like Prince. And I thought I was the only one! i love those two Beatles songs, but I also like Walk Like an Egyptian (sorry!). I also don't know a lot of these songs, although maybe they would be familiar if I heard them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think context matters. If Walk Like An Egyptian comes on at a wedding, I'm out there on the dance floor. If it comes on when I'm walking the dog, I'm less thrilled. Since this has become a default dogwalking playlist, it will turn out a lot differently than if it had been a party playlist.

      Delete
  6. I love Prince! But it's almost a requirement as a Minnesotan. ;) I have not heard of any of the songs since Ed Sheeran in 2017. But I barely listen to the radio anymore now that I listen to podcasts and that has especially been the case since that time frame. So if it's not an artist I love, I will never hear their song because I just so rarely listen to the radio. Plus about 90% of my car rides are with Phil and our Venn Diagram overlap is the tiniest sliver so we do not listen to the radio together. When the kids are in the car, he begrudgingly listens to Taylor Swift as they are big fans, like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in Minneapolis, Prince was inescapable and it did nothing to endear me to his music. I do think he did a ton of great things for Minnesota and think he was a wonderful man, but I still don't care for his music. Yay for the boys listening to Taylor Swift!

      Delete
  7. Simon and Garfunkel are true poets. My favorite album of theirs, though, is a greatest hits album. I adore every word.

    I loved this post, and had to come back to comment while on my work PC, since I can't from my iPad.

    I agree with you on some, and disagree on others.
    I heard Careless Whispers the other day, and I was ALL IN - Agree.
    When My Sharona comes on, I am ALL IN (even though it's kind of creepy) - Disagree.
    And when Blondie comes on (especially the album 'Best of Blondie'), I am ALL IN. How do you feel about other Blondie songs?
    I HATE the Cher song, and could HAPPILY go the rest of my life without hearing that dumb Bryan Adams song, unless it's William Shatner speaking it at some awards show, probably the MTV awards.
    And where were you that you have never heard the Gotye and Kesha songs? Those were on every 2.3 minutes around here. Of course, for the Kesha song at least, I did have a teen at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where I was when those songs were big because the first time I heard them was on the podcast and the second time was when I listened to this playlist! Same for the 2022 song. The truth is that I rarely listen to music at all, let alone radio music.

      I love how this is bringing out everyone's strong opinions! I mean, ALL of these songs were immensely popular, so someone loved them at one time or another, so anything I wrote that was negative was going to be controversial, right?

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this! And I giggled every time you said "this sucks".
    I like I Wanna Hold Your Hand more than Hey Jude
    Once my son and I were driving back from college for five hours and we took turns playing each other one of our songs. I played him Bridge Over Troubled Water and he loved it and I was so happy.
    I love the Gordon Lightfood verson of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.
    I love Faith.
    I thought Prince was pretentious sometimes and the movies were bad, but I thought his songwriting was creative and fun and he was an amazing musician.
    I did not like that Happy song at all, and some people were really mad at me about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we can still be friends DESPITE you liking Faith. I guess. Grudgingly.

      Delete