Thursday, January 19, 2023

3.19 Library - January Library Loans

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the nineteenth day of the month is "Library." I've decided I'm going to just tell you what are on my library book shelves each month.

*****************

Our library has this sign by the book return. I'm pretty sure I am single-handedly responsible for 1000 visits to their website. 


Paper books checked out:
Every Summer After by Carley Fortune
Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities #1) by Shannon Messenger
Love & Saffron: A Novel of Friendship, Food, and Love by Kim Fay
The Power of Fun: How to Feel Alive Again by Catherine Price
The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams
Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister
Bad City: Peril and Power in the City of Angels by Paul Pringle
The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton
The Roughest Draft by Emily Wibberley
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel

Spanish books checked out (paper books):
Las mujeres mueven montañas by Pepita Sandwich
Finding the Music/En pos de la música by Jennifer Torres
Yo no quiero irme a la cama/I Don't Want to Go to Bed by Julie Sykes

Ebooks checked out:
Child of the Prophecy (Sevenwaters #3) by Juliet Marillier
Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels #5) by Lisa Kleypas

Audiobooks checked out:
Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips (this is about a child kidnapping - I've listened to about 5% and am not sure I'll go back for more)



Paper books on hold:
The Measure by Nikki Erlick - has shipped, should be here in the next day or two
Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy #1) by C.S. Friedman - 1/1 on the hold list
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin - 4/116 on the hold list
Babel, Or the Necessity of Violence: An Arcane History of the Oxford Translators' Revolution by R.F. Kuang - 9/13 on the hold list
Legends & Lattes (Legends & Lattes #1) by Travis Baldree - 5/7 on the hold list
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver -146/150 on the hold list (this is our book club book for early March, fingers crossed I can get it before we meet)

Ebooks on hold:
The Heir Affair (Royal We #2) by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - 6/10 on the hold list
Scruples (Scruples #1) by Judith Krantz - 2/4 on the hold list
Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley - 6/94 on the hold list
The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by Nikole Hannah-Jones - 5/70 on the hold list
When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle #2) by Nghi Vo 2/2 on the hold list
Astrid Parker Doesn't Fail (Bright Falls #2) by Ashley Herring Blake - 14/59 on the hold list
The Friend by Sigrid Nunez - 6/13 on the hold list
Funny You Should Ask by Elisa Sussman - 5/187 on the hold list
Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan - 4/266 on the hold list

Have you read any of these books? What's up next for you to read?
*****************

To see what Bestest Friend has to say about her library, go visit her at Too Legit to Quit.

20 comments:

  1. Ooh! I've read several on your hold list, including Babel. i'll be interested to hear what you think of it!
    i love the library so much. Frequently when I'm reading blogs, someone will talk about a book and I'll immediately put a library hold on it. Then weeks later I'll get a notice that my book is in, and sometimes I'll have no recollection of ever requesting it. This happened to me yesterday, and even when I went to pick up the book and looked at it, I had no memory of it whatsoever. But I obviously got the idea from somewhere- it's A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore. Anyway, I like these little surprises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was me who talked about A Spell of Winter! It's a wild, VC Andrews-type of book. Can't wait to hear how you react to it!

      Delete
  2. I really liked Tomorrowx3, and I enjoyed The Measure as well. I've heard great things about Demon Copperhead. I won that in my bookclub holiday book exchange but I so rarely read physical books so I don't know when I will get to it!

    We check out sooo many books. I always have 2-3 ebooks checked out and then we check out around 20 books/week for the boys! I am so happy we can go to the library in person again. I really like browsing the kids section and Paul like picking out books, too. A lot of what we check out are books I've put on hold after hearing about them in a substack newsletter or on Indiebound, but it is so fun to just browse the shelves, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the library and having it so close to my house is an absolute dream. I can't imagine if the library were out of my way how inconvenient it would be to have to make plans to get over there. As it stands, if I have fifteen free minutes, I can just run to the library. I'm not sure how they measured library visits, but I should start tracking the number of times I go into the library every year! It would definitely be dozens.

      Delete
    2. For us, it would 45+ since we go nearly every Saturday! It is the loveliest tradition. I can't remember if I've mentioned this in a comment before, but the town I grew up in did not have a library (population was 500). So I only had access to books when school was in session, although I would BEG my mom to buy me books in the summer and she'd buy a couple, but I would have read stacks of books if I had access to a library! So I am glad my kids will have constant access to books. Our library is also very close - about a mile walk away.

      Delete
    3. I grew up in a cornfield and the town I lived in still doesn't have a library. We'd occasionally take some books out from the closest library a couple of towns over, but I was always stressed because my parents would forget to take them back and we always had late fees on our account and it was a struggle. One of the reasons I started reading romance novels is that my mom had stacks and stacks of them and it was the only thing to read! I do not take living near the library for granted at all - it's a true wonder for me every time I can just walk there!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love the library! Isn't it the most amazing thing that they will just let us read all the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read all the books for free!!! What a rich public service.

      Delete
  4. I have The Swimmers on my e-reader right now. I just finished Between Two Kingdoms, which I really enjoyed (not as much as When Breath Becomes Air, but it reminded me of that memoir a lot).
    I have joked with the librarians MANY times about how helpful our family is as driving up their stats. And this matters, at least where we live. When a branch has high activity, they get more funding dollars and more flexibility in what they can order. I will say that my use of the library is dying off some now that I don't read 20-30 new picture books to the kids each week...It makes me SO sad. The library was a huge, huge part of their early childhood and we spent so many happy hours there.
    *Sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started taking out picture/early reader books in Spanish, so I'm starting to help with those stats, too! Maybe you can start taking out picture books in other languages to help you learn!

      Delete
  5. I've never read any of those books on your list, as usual. :) But my boys LOVE the Keeper of the Lost Cities series!! Many of their friends do, too. HUGELY popular to the point that they wanted to buy the new releases as soon as they came out type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephews (13 and almost 11) were talking about that book at Christmas (I was tucked away in the basement coloring as an adult should and I think they sort of forgot I was there) and they were nerding out so much about it that I had to get it from the library because I desperately want to know what appeals to that age group!

      Delete
  6. I recently picked up a stack of three or four books from the library even though I just started a book I own. And one of those books is due tomorrow and cannot be renewed, and I haven't started it at all and I am stressing. Then today I picked up two more books. Sigh. A good problem to have, a glut of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stress out so much more about library books than I do! If you don't get to it, you can always get them again at a later date!

      Delete
  7. From this list, I've only read "The Friend" (and it wasn't for me). I have Gillian's book on my to-read list. I "know" her from the old VEDA (vlog every day in August) days... and now she's an accomplished author. So freakin' cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even heard of VEDA! How wonderful that you know her from blogging! This is such a great little hobby we have.

      Delete
  8. I have a few of these on my TBR. I just finished Wrong Place, Wrong Time and LOVED it, so I'm interested to see how you feel about it, my lovely little anti-book twin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like this is a challenge! I'm on it!

      Delete
  9. I've read the Sea of Tranquility and itwas good. I'm 21/36 on hold for Tomorrowx3 so I think you'll be getting it before I do. I look forward to hearing what yuo think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised at how quickly my Tomorrow x3 hold came in. Maybe you'll get yours sooner than you think!

      Delete