Thursday, December 29, 2022

2.29 Song - South Hampton Avenue

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-ninth day of the month is "Song."

****************

I was listening to an episode of Pump up the Jam, a podcast that has sadly published its last episode, and the host started making fun of the band Blessid Union of Souls and it took me back to the first years when I lived in Minneapolis. I drove a little blue Chevy S-10 named Magenta and their eponymous album and Walking Off the Buzz were the CDs that I listened to endlessly while I drove around. I have no idea why this band came to my notice (or how) since I was basically a country girl, but there you have it. I'm a Blessid Union of Souls fan. 

This isn't Magenta, but it's what she looked like.

Anyway, "South Hampton Avenue" is the seventh track on Walking Off the Buzz and it's the most recent song I've listened to as I write this. 

What's an album you used to listen to repeatedly, but you haven't listened to in years?

****************

To see what Bestest Friend wrote about the theme of the day, go visit her at Too Legit to Quit.

11 comments:

  1. I used to know every word of No Fences by heart. It played on repeat on my boombox in middle school and most of high school, too. Such a great album. The other answer, though, is each soundtrack to each Disney movie ever published. My daughter would watch a movie, be obsessed with the soundtrack, and we'd listen over and over and over until the next movie took over. The Moana soundtrack was the first of these experiences, I think. And now she scoffs at the thought of Moana! It's one of those things that you don't know will be the last time until it's well in the rearview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garth's Sevens was in Magenta's CD player in the year I worked in southeastern Michigan between undergrad and grad school. Garth Brooks forever!

      Delete
  2. The first Savage Garden album (Truly, Madly, Deeply - I knew every single word to this song, and all the other songs).
    And the first albums by: Five, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and Britney Spears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to Two Beds and a Coffee Machine by SG a lot, but honestly couldn't have named another song by that band. I'll have to check out their first album. I've never even heard of Five, so that's another rabbit hole for me to go down.

      Delete
  3. There were so many, and all on vinyl (I am old). I probably wore out "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John. Actually, I still know pretty much all of Elton John's discography by heart up until about 1978 when I became part of the disco generation and also switched to Queen and wore out their albums instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we don't even have genre loyalties?! People are so inconsistent.

      Delete
  4. Billy Joel's The Stranger! In high school my sister and I would "lie out" in the backyard in the summer (on purpose, with no sunscreen, to get a tan) and listen to that album. I had the LP of course, but had transferred it to a cassette tape (hee hee) so we could listen to it on the boom box. Ah... good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scenes from an Italian Restuarant! One of my college friends had a Best of Billy Joel CD and I was always nicking it from her to listen to that song.

      I do remember going from the radio to cassette to CD in my life. I never had a vinyl record player, but I'm jealous that you did!

      Delete
  5. I used to listen to so much country when I was younger. Alabama, Diamond Rio, Shania Twain, etc. Now I never listen to country!! I never would have guessed you drove a little S-10 at one point in your life! But it makes sense given where you grew up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first car I ever had was a full-size Chevy Silverado. I was country when country wasn't cool!

      Delete
  6. Prince's Purple Rain. I believe I still know every single word on every song. Also, most everything by Duran Duran and Adam Ant. I also moved onto country, but still remember those gems.

    ReplyDelete