Wednesday, December 28, 2022

2.28 Meaning - Those Tiny Memories

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-eighth day of the month is "Meaning."

********************

For every holiday, the adults all end up in the kitchen because that's where everyone's doing their part to make food happen. The kids manage themselves, frequently holed up in the basement with a very occasional adult wandering through. (This is such a change from even three or four years ago when we still had toddlers. The youngest is six and the older kids watch out for him and we didn't have a single injury or crying child at all on Christmas Day. For those of you with young children, it gets better. We had all eleven and it was lovely and joyful and they were wonderful!) The kids wander up when they want food, there's a pot of chili simmering on the stove if they want "real" food before dinner, and there's a plethora of snack for all.

One of the eight-year-old girls comes up to her mother.

"Can I have some mini powdered donuts?"

You can see my SIL's face as she goes through exactly what this child has eaten today. Pancakes, syrup, one grape, half a sandwich, a million cookies, dozens of mini bags of M&Ms, and a snack bag of Lays chips. 

"Of course. It's Christmas."

********************

Our two youngest nieces, born just months apart, are 8. One of them got a glorious makeup kit for Christmas, with pink, blue, purple, and green eyeshadows, some complete with glitter. It didn't take much convincing for me to end up in the downstairs bathroom with them, helping them apply makeup. I became the invisible makeup artist (close your eyes, tilt your head, purse your lips, do you want glitter or no? peach or baby pink?) while I listened to them. They KNOW there's a swear word that starts with d, but they just don't know it yet.

"D-U-C-K?" 
"That's duck." 
"D-U-K-E?"
"That's duke."
"Hey, Aunt NGS, what's duke?"
"D-I-K-E?"
"That's dike."
"Hey, Aunt NGS, what's dike?"
They never figured it out and I'm so pleased that they're so precious and innocent still, despite older siblings and cousins and school and the ability to access the internet. 
********************
Zelda is not relevant to any of these stories because she enjoyed her Christmas Day at home, alone, with no interference from the dog. However, I'd like to note that if there's anything better than me, a couch, a book, and my cat, I don't know what it is. The book is Inda (meh), the blanket is fleece, and the cat was purring.


********************
Our 13-year-old nephew who has not yet gone through puberty (as opposed to the other two 13-year-old boys who are official teenagers) is quite good friends with the 10-year-old nephew. They are both the oldest of three and have a lot of complaining to do about their younger siblings. I was coloring in the basement (did you know I love to color? I am the aunt who will color with you for sure) and I think they honestly forgot I was there. I listened to them as they debated all the things. And then, IMAGINE MY HEART GROWING TWO SIZES, they started debating the pros and cons of the following fantasy stories: Wings of Fire, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and Percy Jackson. My little nerds!!

********************

The oldest 13-year-old nephew has been colonized by the six-year-old. As soon as the 13yo walked in the door, the 6yo grabbed his hand and I never saw them further apart than four feet for the rest of the day. The 13yo played games with him, threw him up and down to try to touch the ceiling (all of us were yelling at him about form and bending his knees and I thought he was going to murder all of us), and listened to him talk endlessly about Top Gun: Maverick. I have rarely seen such a pair of opposites enjoying each other's company so much.

********************

To see what Bestest Friend makes meaning of, go visit her at Too Legit to Quit.

19 comments:

  1. You are such a fun aunt! Seriously!! You are going to have such special relationships with these kids which is wonderful. I am very close to some of my aunts and really value those relationships!

    There will be 11 grandkids in my family when my sister has her baby next June! Ours are so spread out, though. There are 4 boys who are 14 to 18 years old. And then there are 2 kids around 11. Then there is an 8yo. And then there are my boys (4.5 and 2) and my sister's daughter who is almost 2. The 8yo will play with the 11yos, though, so it works out. We are all pretty spread out so some of the cousins don't see each other much. Paul loves to see his cousins. The older cousins are so kind to him and really dote on him! We don't do many big holidays as a family anymore, though. It has caused some angst among some of my siblings, but our situation is tricky with my MIL being a widow with no other family besides us. And we really love not traveling for Christmas. We'll travel for Easter or Thanksgiving, but just can't stomach leaving my MIL on Christmas. But it does make me a little sad that my boys don't have the relationships with their cousins that I had growing up. But in the next 3 years, my little sister and her family will move back to the midwest so we'll see her kids a lot more and hopefully they will form a little cousin posse of their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest with you that I was not a super great aunt until they got to be school-aged. Babies and toddlers frustrate me. But now that they're big kids and teenagers, they're just so much fun to be around. I have a couple of aunts who had very meaningful relationships with me and I hope that these kids know that when they grow up, they can always count on me for bail money and a comforting shoulder!

      Delete
  2. These memories are so lovely! Your family sounds so amazing. I love that you all get together and that everyone is so close. And you get such a wonderful view of all these great kids as they grow up. They are so lucky to have you as an aunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to see them really connect with each other. My life is definitely richer for all of my cousins and I hope they all remain close when they get older.

      Delete
  3. My 13yo grandson has been puberitized 😀 and has a very deep voice. I have a deep voice too, but not at that age. Well, pretty sure not. I suggested to him, kiddingly, that we should sing bass in a choir together. Anyway, your festive times seem to have gone well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have three 13yo boys and they're definitely each at different stages of growth. I don't want anyone to grow up too fast, but I think it's been hard for the one who is slower to get to puberty to see his cousins get so tall and their voices get so deep. I'll be curious to see how long it takes him to catch up and maybe I'll try to get all of them to sing for me.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the purring kitty! My husband is severely allergic, so has never had a cat sit on his lap and purr. He once asked me if cats are ever affectionate, and it kind of hurt my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! What a sad thing to have to ask! I mean, why else would we keep the little jerks in our homes if they didn't occasionally purr on our laps?!

      Delete
  5. These are such wonderful moments! Ones to look back on and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! They're at such great ages right now and it was just an easy holiday with all of them!

      Delete
  6. This is what I live for at our family parties. The kids are all starting to age up, so sometimes a kid or two will hang out with the adults and sometimes the kids all go off by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're waiting for some of the kids to want to hang out with the adults, but none of them have shown any interest in adult things yet!

      Delete
  7. What wonderful snapshots of your Christmas. These posts always make me so wistful that my kids don't have cousins handy. They see extended family once or twice every few years; the connection is always immediate, but it breaks my heart a bit that they don't get to "do life" together. So I love hearing about these moments of shared cousin time and all the love that pours out of them. I'm glad you and Dr. BB got to spend time surrounded by such fun kids and you sound like the COOLEST AUNT EVER. Seriously. So cool and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I have lots of cousins, but we were always the odd ones out because we lived far away from them. The connection was immediate, as you say, but we did miss out on some family lore. It's a bummer, but I still have a good relationship with several of my cousins who I am closest in age to, so your kids will be just fine, I promise!

      Delete
  8. These are so nice! I especially like the donut story. Yes, that's the perfect answer to "can I have some mini powdered donuts?"
    Toddlers are fun in their own special way, but it really is nice when everyone is a little older. Things should get really interesting soon when the older kids go to high school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! These are such sweet memories. I feel like I am a terrible aunt - I just find it very hard to relate to my nephews and I have a weird relationship to my SIL, which makes thinks feel more awkward than they should be. I'm much better with babies/toddlers than bigger kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I got a smile out of the mention of the 13 year old nephew who has not gone through puberty yet. As the mother of a 13 year old who has most DEFINITELY not gone through puberty yet (and a 14 1/2 year old who is just now really beginning to finally cross that threshold), it made me smile to know my little guy is not alone in this!! It's a hard thing, when some other boys his age have like, mustaches and are 8 inches taller!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the best Aunt ever! I love this day and your memories.
    Zelda must have really enjoyed her quiet Christmas as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being the fun aunt is the best. :)

    ReplyDelete