Friday, December 02, 2022

2.2 Entertainment - Spotify Wrapped

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined them chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the second day of the month is "Entertainment." 

****************

Yesterday, Nicole clued me in that Spotify had released 2022's Wrapped lists, so I  immediately went to see what mine looked like. The results? I am a basic bitch who likes to hear women sing country music. I'm in the top 9% of Sugarland listeners, which is bizarre, but I'm not going to lie, I listened to Twice the Speed of Light on repeat for the years of 2004-2008 and about half of those songs are on my Earworms playlist, so there you go. I'm a superfan, even though I don't know any songs by this group outside of their debut album. ("Tennessee" is playing on my Spotify RIGHT NOW.)

I find it astonishing that my #1 song isn't "Let That Pony Run" by Pam Tillis because I believe I listen to it at least once a day, but maybe it's just my YouTube plays that would show that fact. And the CD in our car. I have always been a big Pam Tillis fan (she looks a lot like my cousin Jessica) and she came to our tiny university a few years ago and I made Dr. BB take me to the concert with about two dozen other people and then I followed her on Instagram and PAM TILLIS LIKED A PHOTO OF OUR DOG. That's all. I'm like a Pam Tillis obsessive.

Anyway.

I don't even like "She's In Love with the Boy" by Trisha Yearwood that much. How is it #1? 

#2 "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under" - Shania Twain. This makes sense.
#3 "Downtown" by Lady A - I adore this song.
#4 "Break Down Here" by Julie Roberts - I listen to "Men and Mascara" and "Break Down Here" and wonder whatever happened to Julie Roberts. 
#5 "Walking in Memphis" by Mark Cohn - Tell me are you a Christian child/Ma'am I am tonight. If you're not screaming this line right now, you obviously are not 

("Let That Pony Run" just came on!)

aware of the genius of this song. 

 I am now going through all my Spotify playlists and removing all Trisha Yearwood songs except for "Walkaway Joe" and "The Song Remembers When." I don't want her anywhere near my Wrapped next year. I obviously need to play more Pam. I can call her Pam, right? She liked a photo of Hannah so we're obviously best acquaintances now.  

Were you surprised by your Spotify Wrapped? What's your most played song?

("There Ain't Nothin' Wrong with the Radio" by Aaron Tippin)

********************

To see what Bestest Friend has to say about entertainment, see her at Too Legit To Quit.

19 comments:

  1. Wait - you don't like "She's in Love with the Boy"?!?! I am nonetheless delighted to know that you love country music! I do, too, although it is a very narrow love that includes 80s/90s country and some very specific songs from the 2012-2014 era and also Maren Morris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't DISLIKE "She's in Love with the Boy." I just don't really like it. I feel like in the Trisha Yearwood/Wynonna war, I've chosen Wynonna and seeing Yearwood's song there in #1 makes me feel like I've cheated on Wynonna. ANYWAY. I suspect that our music tastes overlap A LOT. I listen to a lot of ladies from the 80s and 90s and early 00s and Chris Stapleton. (I also listen to a lot of early 90s hair metal, so I'm hear for Skid Row, Poison, Warrant, and Def Leppard, too. It's a weird mix.)

      Delete
  2. Not surprisingly – after spending a lot of time in the car with the kids this year - the number #1 song of the year was Waiting for Love by Avicii.
    #2 was Believer by Imagine Dragons (my son is obsessed).
    And then back to Avicii for #3 with Hey Brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know Avicii, but I'll put it on my Spotify playlist to give it a listen. I also do not know that I know any Imagine Dragons songs, but I've heard of this band, so at least I have a headstart there. I'll give them a listen.

      Delete
    2. They're very catchy tunes and the kids love them; by the end of the summer, I wanted to bash my head against a wall when I heard them, though. I listen to A LOT of music without the kids, so the fact that these songs were in the Top3 means we listened to A TON of Avicii and Imagine Dragons!

      Delete
  3. I wish I used Spotify for this very reason! I don't think I've ever heard that Pam Tillis song, but I love it! Thanks for that. I love that she liked a photo of Hannah; that's so cool.

    I love country music, but I've never been a huge fan of Trisha Yearwood, but I do like the songs you also like of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you like that Pam Tillis song! Yay for new music for everyone!

      Delete
  4. I only do the free spotify- do you have to have the paid version to get Wrapped? Probably. Anyway, maybe I missed it but what advent calendar did you choose???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have the paid version, but you have to have the mobile app to get the Wrapped. You can probably see yours!!

      Delete
  5. I don't use Spotify so I don't get to see this kind of data! But it is fun to see what others listen to! That said, I so rarely listen to much. I listen to too many podcasts so that doesn't leave much time for anything else! I pretty much only listen to Taylor Swift and Brandi Carlile in the car w/ the boys because Paul is a big fan of both. The song we've asked Alexa to play the most is certainly "Longest Time" by Billy Joel, much to Phil's chagrin. Paul knows all the lyrics. Phil kind of hates Billy Joel - I love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Longest Time" is a bop! I love that song. I actually love a lot of Billy Joel songs, so I get why Paul likes it!

      Delete
  6. I don't have a Spotify account, but I enjoy reading everyone's end of year summaries. I can understand how it might be unnerving to find who you really are according to your tunes. I feel the same way when I get my #yearofcolour summary on Instagram. I took that many photos of things in that color, I say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure my Instagram color would be some boring shade of brown because all I take photos of are my dog and cat. Ha! What a "beautiful" shade of brown.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy country music; as a child I had a lot of exposure to Kenny and Dolly, and my favourite son was Queen of Hearts by Juice Newton. My son is OBSESSED with the Zac Brown Band, and I love them too. I also really like Carrie Underwood and Florida Georgia Line (wait, did they break up? Also I really only like two of their songs but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Anything Goes). The number one songs always are interesting to me - like, I didn't think I played Sly and the Family Stone that much, but I must have. Who knew I liked Call Me Al that much? Well, I do like it. Last year my number one song was Midnight Train to Georgia and my number two was Walk This Way by Run DMC.
    She's in love with the boy - someone sang that at one of my closest friends' wedding, and I always associate it with that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Spotify showed the Dolly song I listen to the most, it would be the song "Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That" because it's the exact pace that I run, so it's on EVERY running playlist I've ever created. I LOVE Dolly.

      Delete
  8. There’s something wrong with me. Other people listen to so much music, but I don’t. When I am puttering, however, I am usually whistling or singing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually rarely listen to music. I mostly listen to podcasts these days, but when I run, I trot out the music playlists.

      Delete
  9. I don't have a Spotify Wrapped List. What does this say about me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't do Spotify either but I am also an 80s/90s country listener. That said, of the current options, I love the Highwomen and the Chicks. (I loved the Chicks in their previous incarnation as well...).

    ReplyDelete